GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Driver's Seat Upper Lumbar Cable Snapped

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-21, 05:21 PM
lackura
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver's Seat Upper Lumbar Cable Snapped

I sat in the drivers seat (18-way adjustable F-Sport seat in a 2013 GS350) yesterday and heard a snap. I took the seat back off today and saw that the cable going to the top of the lumbar adjustment had the tip snapped off. The seat also has the blower for cooling, which blocks easy access to the support. To me, it seems that there is not much downward travel to the support (only an inch or two). I suspect a jam, or the common broken gear which caused a bind. It appears that there is a lower cable that is hard to get to, which I assume pulls the lumbar support down (or moves it up). I am getting ready to do some more disassembly to see what I am facing. Any suggestions/tips? I have attached photos showing the cable end and the slot where the cable is supposed to reside. I am assuming that I need to pull the motor, and there will be two cables coming from that - a lower cable (currently hard to see and I cannot see where it connects) and and upper cable, which is the one in the photos that broke. Thanks for any help!

Old 07-02-21, 07:04 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

fsport seats are actually 16 way. if you got black seats. I have my set for sale and they're in pretty much new condition
Old 07-02-21, 08:07 PM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by lackura
I sat in the drivers seat (18-way adjustable F-Sport seat in a 2013 GS350) yesterday and heard a snap. I took the seat back off today and saw that the cable going to the top of the lumbar adjustment had the tip snapped off. The seat also has the blower for cooling, which blocks easy access to the support. To me, it seems that there is not much downward travel to the support (only an inch or two). I suspect a jam, or the common broken gear which caused a bind. It appears that there is a lower cable that is hard to get to, which I assume pulls the lumbar support down (or moves it up). I am getting ready to do some more disassembly to see what I am facing. Any suggestions/tips? I have attached photos showing the cable end and the slot where the cable is supposed to reside. I am assuming that I need to pull the motor, and there will be two cables coming from that - a lower cable (currently hard to see and I cannot see where it connects) and and upper cable, which is the one in the photos that broke. Thanks for any help!

I thought you put a pic of under the dash 😲... Holy crap there's alot going on there. 16 way adjustable or 16 ways to break 🤣
Old 07-02-21, 08:10 PM
lackura
8th Gear

Yeah, you said it. When I heard the snap, I said the same - 16 way adjustable means 16 opportunities to break. I saw the LS lumbar repair online and it was not NEARLY complicated as this thing. Definitely a lot going on and intertwined with each other.
Old 07-03-21, 01:27 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJ350
I thought you put a pic of under the dash 😲... Holy crap there's alot going on there. 16 way adjustable or 16 ways to break 🤣
This is what the back of the 18 way Lux seats look like, basically a robot.

This is the bottom:

I retrofitted Lux seats into my base GS just over 2 years ago. They came from a car that was totaled, it was plug and play, no issues.
The following users liked this post:
lackura (07-03-21)
Old 07-03-21, 06:53 AM
lackura
8th Gear

Thanks for the info. I saw you mentioned in several posts as the best source of info and expert on these seats. I appreciate the info and reply.
Old 06-18-22, 12:58 PM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for the info. I saw you mentioned in several posts as the best source of info and expert on these seats. I appreciate the info and reply.
I just had my driver seat cable snap today.... big sad moment

Were you able to get a replacement cable?

I definitely want to repair this, the 18 way seats may as well be a Honda civic without lumbar lmfao
Old 06-18-22, 02:57 PM
lackura
8th Gear

Nope. No luck. And I ran out of time, so seat is still in my garage, with the back off and lumbar motor disassembled. The lumbar support also seems to be hung up, which is probably why it popped. Not sure what I am going to do from here with it. Time is my biggest challenge, though. Other projects seem to take precedence.
Old 06-18-22, 04:45 PM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Nope. No luck. And I ran out of time, so seat is still in my garage, with the back off and lumbar motor disassembled. The lumbar support also seems to be hung up, which is probably why it popped. Not sure what I am going to do from here with it. Time is my biggest challenge, though. Other projects seem to take precedence.
Fair enough, I am going to do some research and determine if it's easier to get a new or used part, and I want to look into repairing the cable and putting on a new end. Ideally, a stronger one haha
Old 06-18-22, 05:38 PM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

So, update time. I am buying this tomorrow from Advance Auto, if they are no good I will get the Allen key ones from Amazon. Both are $6 so I would love to fix it the price of a gallon rather than $400+.

I'll upload pictures tomorrow during the fix
Old 06-18-22, 06:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,498 Posts

These cable stop-set ferrules will work nicely for that repair - they're available at Home Depot or Lowes Hardware. They require a hand tool to crimp (compress) them, which is inexpensive to buy...or it can be returned after making a crimp.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by bclexus; 06-18-22 at 07:23 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-18-22, 06:53 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,498 Posts

And here ► https://www.google.com/search?q=cabl...client=gws-wiz

You might can also use a bicycle brake cable crimp ferrule to fix it...

Last edited by bclexus; 06-18-22 at 06:56 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-18-22, 07:55 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Now we understand why the GS costs so much. Just one seat alone explains it.
Old 06-19-22, 06:43 AM
ViperTim
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Interested how this turns out.
I love DIY repairs instead of parts replacement.
Old 06-20-22, 03:23 AM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperTim
Interested how this turns out.
I love DIY repairs instead of parts replacement.
what you don’t hear about is all the DIY repairs going wrong and they just end up buying the replacement part anyway. You can quickly tell
sometimes the assembly is not designed to be repaired and no thought has gone in by Lexus or Toyota engineers on how internal components can be accessed or removed.

Quick Reply: Driver's Seat Upper Lumbar Cable Snapped