GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

My first maintenance required on my GS 350

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-21 | 01:55 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Lexus does not make oil. Their bulk oil is probably whatever they can get a good buy on.
Some dealers will use Mobil1 or other name brand.
Old 07-06-21 | 02:08 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by derrick615
Hello everyone I have a quick question maybe y'all can help me out with I'm new to the forum. I purchase my 2015 GS 350 about 5 months ago with 70,000 miles. I recently just hit the 76,000 miles on the odometer

My indicator showed up saying maintenance required the car is running great. I haven't had any problems with it I'm just wondering that maintenance required is that something that Lexus has set for the light to come on at a certain mileage or is it possible that something else might be wrong and that's the only indicator to let me know. I am not sure if this maintenance required is considered the check engine light or is that a separate light which I have not seen yet? I tried messing around with all the buttons but it's not indicating that something is wrong so I'm thinking that it is a requirement after so many miles of driving. I was about to schedule my first oil change in about a week but I was wondering do I have anything to worry about with this maintenance required is this something that if I take my car to the dealership for a simple oil change and they don't stick me with a huge bill to take off or fix whatever problem it may be. Is this something that I can reset myself if there's nothing wrong with the vehicle?

When I bought the car and I looked at the Carfax I noticed that the last owner took this Lexus to the dealership for every little thing so I have a complete history of everything that has been done which is good but I'm not financially able to deal with a huge repair bill (still paying high car note) If there is something wrong or is this just something that the dealership wants to do at a certain amount of miles to get you to spend more money. I plan on taking my car to the dealership to get my oil change which they quoted me would be about $70 which I'm fine with that because this vehicle uses synthetic oil and they said that I should be able to drive at least 6000 or 10,000 miles before my next Oil Change which my other cars require an oil change every 3000 Miles and I spent about $35 so that price does not bother me at all. It's just that I don't want to take my vehicle there to pile up more money for the dealership now I have a warranty on the vehicle but I am assuming that if there's nothing majorly wrong with it then all of that is going to be an out-of-pocket expenses for me if there is something wrong. Can someone help me in regards to how I approach the situation before I take it to the dealership.

I love my GS 350 and I think it's a wonderful car I got rid of my GS300 and I upgraded to this one and the ride is fantastic so I went with a newer one I plan on keeping this vehicle because I've heard good things about it and also I heard that it could do 200,000 miles or more without a problem. Also I also called the dealership to ask about brake job which that repair will be on me and my Lexus dealership quoted me that to do the brakes is $400 for the front and $400 for the back is that a normal price just to get brakes done on my Lexus or is there someone or shop that may do just a good enough job where it's really not required for me to take it to the dealership just for brakes. I believe if you could not go to the dealership on some simple things like brakes and oil changes then you can take your vehicle anywhere but anything that's major I've always wanted to go to the dealership to make sure that it's done correctly. Looking for the advice of you experts so if you can get back to me I would greatly appreciate it, it, My favorite quote Long Life Lexus.
I let a very good Toyota Service department do my Lexus's.

I would also get a drain and fill on the Trans Fluid. Some don't, but I do for the reason that the manufacture of the transmission says do it.
Old 07-06-21 | 02:09 PM
derrick615
Driver School Candidate

Okay I get it the dealerships preference is Mobil 1 would you say that that's a good oil or would you recommend another type of oil? Also I called the dealership and they said that my car requires the changing of my spark plugs at 60,000 miles have you guys heard of that and if so has anyone ever done it around that time? Also what spark plugs would you recommend if I plan on purchasing them myself?
Old 07-06-21 | 02:27 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Toyota 0w-20 is made by Mobil. It's VERY close to the same formula as Mobil1, but slightly different. Either is fine. I just did the 60k service on my 2014. It cost just under 1k. The main cost of that was labor for changing the plugs. I decided to do it because I'm going to hold on to this car for another 2-4 years and I no longer do any maintenance myself. If you are going to do 10k mile oil changes make sure you only use full synthetic oil 0w-20. If you want to deep-dive into motor oil then head over to bobistheoilguy......
Old 07-06-21 | 02:35 PM
derrick615
Driver School Candidate

@jkeifer3. Thank you so much for that Insight I spoke with the dealership and to do all the things that they want was going to be a little bit over $1,000. I plan on getting what is necessary to be done but $1,000 right now is not in the budget but I definitely will do the oil change with the right oil. The cabin filter and engine filter I will change the oil ring for the gas cap I will change and I'm going to look in to see about doing the drain and fill on the ATF and replacing the spark plugs. Can you refer the spark plugs that you're currently using on your vehicle which is giving you good performance?
Old 07-06-21 | 03:33 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I changed the plugs and coils, took me like 40mins. Next time would be 25mins. Use the Stock brand plugs.
Old 07-06-21 | 08:00 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by derrick615
@jkeifer3. Thank you so much for that Insight I spoke with the dealership and to do all the things that they want was going to be a little bit over $1,000. I plan on getting what is necessary to be done but $1,000 right now is not in the budget but I definitely will do the oil change with the right oil. The cabin filter and engine filter I will change the oil ring for the gas cap I will change and I'm going to look in to see about doing the drain and fill on the ATF and replacing the spark plugs. Can you refer the spark plugs that you're currently using on your vehicle which is giving you good performance?
Just use the Lexus OEM spark plugs, it's also pre-gapped.
Old 07-06-21 | 11:59 PM
Lead Lap

Have the differential oil been changed at all? If not it’s good to change it every 60k miles.
Old 07-07-21 | 07:02 AM
derrick615
Driver School Candidate

@703. I've only had the vehicle for 5 months when I check the Carfax I did not see anything about the differential oil being changed so I would say I have to say no I've only put 5000 miles on it. If you have been following the trend I see I have a healthy list of things to do at 60 thousand miles.
Old 07-07-21 | 09:26 AM
MX73
Racer

TBH, most of the 60k stuff you can do on your own for a fraction of the cost. If you're handy with a ratchet and take your time, you can get this done on a Saturday afternoon.

The visual inspection stuff, I wouldn't be too concern about. If you're rotating the tires, look at all the axle boots, ball joints and shocks. Make sure they are not leaking or cracked and make sure there are no free play in the joints. Gas cap, I would not worry about unless you know it's not holding pressure. You will usually see the CEL come on. Spark Plug depends. If you haven't notice any performance issues, you can usually run on the stock set close to 100k. You can pull them out and check the condition of the plugs for peace of mind. Brakes, just make sure you have meat on the pads and that your rotors aren't glazed from overheating and/or deep grooves.