GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

HID upgrade recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-21, 06:08 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts
Default HID upgrade recommendations

I recently had my headlights/fogs tinted and last night was the first time I drove in the dark since having them tinted. Half of the drive was in the dark/half was in well lit areas and had no issues seeing either way. But I noticed the range was reduced (obviously) and want to change my HIDs in the near future to help counter this if I can. The two options I'm looking at are Morimotos XB 5000K and 6000K. Will either of these actually improve visibility over the OEM lights or is it just changing color temperature? Just changing color temperature and possibly losing output obviously wouldn't be worth it. Or does anyone have any other bulbs they would recommend?
Old 07-07-21, 06:15 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 410 Likes on 285 Posts

any increase in lumens in the Morimoto over the OEM bulb is going to be lost when you increase the color temp
Old 07-07-21, 06:27 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by np20412
any increase in lumens in the Morimoto over the OEM bulb is going to be lost when you increase the color temp
thanks, this is what I was concerned about
Old 07-07-21, 06:29 AM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Osram Xenarc Nightbreakers Lasers are one of the two brightest, in lumens, HID bulbs you can get; I highly recommend them.

Search the board for threads on HID bulbs for the other recommendation.
The following 2 users liked this post by thisguy_06:
Kingmatt24 (07-07-21), MX73 (07-07-21)
Old 07-07-21, 09:49 AM
LSSAH
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I upgrade to OSRAM COOL BLUB BOOST (CBB). They are very bright MADE IN GERMANY

Last edited by LSSAH; 07-12-21 at 12:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kingmatt24 (07-08-21)
Old 07-08-21, 06:43 PM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

I just aimed my headlights a lot higher than they were before. I’m lowered at least 2 inches all around so it was a must. Visibility is much better now. I think the headlights were pointed too low even at stock ride height on 18’s but I never got around to adjusting them until now. As for the bulbs, I’m still undecided if I’ll upgrade or not. Would need to take a longer drive on some dark roads to really see
Old 07-08-21, 07:55 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

When I bought mine from the dealer I had to raise them as well
Old 07-09-21, 07:42 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 410 Likes on 285 Posts

Yeah I had to raise mine as well. For whatever reason they are aimed way too low from the factory, exacerbated if you drop the vehicle.
Old 07-10-21, 08:05 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Headlight tinting is a bad idea... no bulb is going to make up for the lost light output. Just remove the tint..
Old 07-11-21, 05:30 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Seriously gents (and non-gents)? You mean to tell me I have been driving for two years now (not much though), and complaining that my headlights do not seem to light the road up very far at night, and it could be because they are adjusted too low? Does this apply with the auto-leveling headlights as well? For whatever reason, I just assumed the auto-leveling headlights did just that, auto-leveled to the appropriate headlight position that was tested by very smart Lexus engineers and were set at the precise optimal distance they should legally shine. Is all that bunk? Why have auto leveling headlights then? What is their purpose, other than to just move up and down at start-up. Confused and Amazed at my potential stupidity…..
Old 07-11-21, 08:25 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

In my GS and ES I upgraded after reading a few different reviews and test with the Philips + 150% X-tream Vision HID Blubs Gen2. I had already adjusted the beams up, and when I later put in the new bulbs I could definitely tell a good improvement in light output and viewing distance.

I consider a few other bulbs including some listed here, but read about most burning out prematurely. I did not want to deal with bulbs burning out in a short time being the Factory ones were Philips and lasted so long. I'm happy with them.
The following users liked this post:
Kingmatt24 (07-11-21)
Old 07-11-21, 08:37 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by er34
Headlight tinting is a bad idea... no bulb is going to make up for the lost light output. Just remove the tint..
thing is I almost never drive at night so as long as I could still feel comfortable driving at night with the tint then I would be fine. In fact the night drive in the original post is my first time driving at night since the middle of winter lol
Old 07-11-21, 08:40 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hues10
Seriously gents (and non-gents)? You mean to tell me I have been driving for two years now (not much though), and complaining that my headlights do not seem to light the road up very far at night, and it could be because they are adjusted too low? Does this apply with the auto-leveling headlights as well? For whatever reason, I just assumed the auto-leveling headlights did just that, auto-leveled to the appropriate headlight position that was tested by very smart Lexus engineers and were set at the precise optimal distance they should legally shine. Is all that bunk? Why have auto leveling headlights then? What is their purpose, other than to just move up and down at start-up. Confused and Amazed at my potential stupidity…..
I think the auto leveling headlights help when passengers are in the car, and around corners I believe. I’m probably missing some things but yeah. But for whatever reason our headlights are aimed too low out of the factory. Luckily, adjusting them up is very, very easy.
Old 07-11-21, 08:47 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
It's about calibration and it's in your manual(or you can ask the dealer to do it). You just need a long Philips head screw driver to do it.

The auto levelling doesn't actually measure the output beam and light output, it just maintains the level according to the initial calibration in different circumstances.

So yes, you can aim it higher. I think I did a full 5 turns upwards when I got the car.
Old 07-11-21, 09:06 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I just installed some Osram Nightbreakers. Very happy with them.

Quick Reply: HID upgrade recommendations