GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

The small things

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-21, 04:55 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by tomex77
What what? The 2017 does not come to complete stop if there's a car in front of you and you didn't brake?
Pretty sure it does? The 4.5GS gets the full range radar cruise, the pre-facelift model just gets the highway speed radar cruise. That's also why you guys with the 4.5GS can't see brake lights, your facelifted radar system and screen is totally different to ours.
Old 07-16-21, 05:06 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I really wanna see this brake light thing. Can anyone with it share a pic?
Old 07-16-21, 06:26 PM
DiscoJango
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
Did you know that there is also a downward-facing light in the rearview mirror that lights the center console?
Nope, will have to check that next!

This is what the radar cruise control image looks like on my 2012 gs350

https://performancedrive.com.au/wp-c...-1-630x419.jpg

Its basically an image of the rear of the car, when the car automatically brakes, the little brake lights on the image also go on.

Also, to Cwangs statement, i didnt know these cars had rear wheel steering, how do i confirm if mine does?

And yes, its very strange that the only option my car is missing, is the auto door lock when putting the car into drive, i liked that feature from my 2010 IS350.

And how is the gs350 perceived in the USA? In AU its considered a luxury vehicle, compared to bmw, audi, merc etc you dont see many GS's on the road at all. Ive yet to see a GSF on the road (only on the dealership floor).

PS: One more hidden feature that some people might not know about: when stopped at the lights, if you press really hard on the brake, it will beep and engage hill assist, which will keep the brake held for a second or two until you accelerate.

Pps: The little mouse joystick thing auto centers itself when you turn the car off/on
Old 07-16-21, 06:36 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DiscoJango
And yes, its very strange that the only option my car is missing, is the auto door lock when putting the car into drive, i liked that feature from my 2010 IS350.
This u might be able to set with Carista or I think it's available to change within the nav settings.

PS: One more hidden feature that some people might not know about: when stopped at the lights, if you press really hard on the brake, it will beep and engage hill assist, which will keep the brake held for a second or two until you accelerate.
They changed this on the newer model so u no longer have to press really hard on the pedal but the car can sense if it's on an uphill and applies the auto brake hold for u so u won't roll backward.
Old 07-16-21, 07:20 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
This u might be able to set with Carista or I think it's available to change within the nav settings.
I've looked everywhere, I think they just forgot it. In Techstream we've got all the auto unlock settings, just missing the lock settings lol.
Old 07-16-21, 10:04 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Also, to Cwangs statement, i didnt know these cars had rear wheel steering, how do i confirm if mine does?
If yours is an Fsport with the 3.5L v6 it'll have rear wheel steering. It should also have variable gear ratio steering too.
If it's a 250, anyone's guess. If it's a 350 or 450 Sports Luxury then it'll won't have rear wheel steering. That's the price you pay for semi aniline leather and rear heated seats!
Old 07-17-21, 12:33 AM
Cal916
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Didnt know that they made a 2012 gs350. I thought they took a year off between 2011- 2013
Old 07-17-21, 03:04 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal916
Didnt know that they made a 2012 gs350. I thought they took a year off between 2011- 2013
There's no 2012 in the US but for our buddies down under, things were a little different, right mate? ​​​​​​​
Old 07-17-21, 10:09 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cwang
I've looked everywhere, I think they just forgot it. In Techstream we've got all the auto unlock settings, just missing the lock settings lol.
I wonder if someone ended up with a V8 engine from the GSF in their 350 or 250 cause they forgot what model they were building at the time and put the wrong engine.
Old 07-17-21, 07:22 PM
DiscoJango
Pit Crew

If yours is an Fsport with the 3.5L v6 it'll have rear wheel steering. It should also have variable gear ratio steering too.
If it's a 250, anyone's guess. If it's a 350 or 450 Sports Luxury then it'll won't have rear wheel steering. That's the price you pay for semi aniline leather and rear heated seats!
Yup ive got a 2012 gs350 f sport. Its interesting, ive done so much reading on this car but this is the first time ive heard about rear wheel steering and variable gear ratio.

After some further googling, it seems the rear wheel steering only comes into play if your in sports + mode? 99% of the time i am in normal mode.

Another thread said that being in eco mode further softens the suspension, I personally cant tell the difference, but i can certainly tell the difference in suspension setup from normal > sports +

And i can confirm my car cannot auto lock the doors like other model lexus's do, been through all settings in car and the dealer confirmed as well.
Old 07-20-21, 03:40 AM
Cwang
Instructor

ive done so much reading on this car but this is the first time ive heard about rear wheel steering and variable gear ratio.
They're the only thing making the Fsport F sporty!
After some further googling, it seems the rear wheel steering only comes into play if your in sports + mode? 99% of the time i am in normal mode.
I'm not 100% sure on that. BC will be quick to post the official Lexus chart stating it only works in S+. My only issue with that chart is that it's incorrect regarding the deployment of the AVS in S+...which simply isn't true. The AVS is working every second and the eco preset is softer than normal... uncomfortably so on rougher roads. I digress, the only way to tell rear steering is to get someone to watch whilst you turn the wheel.
And i can confirm my car cannot auto lock the doors like other model lexus's do, been through all settings in car and the dealer confirmed as well.
Check out the TPMS display they get, it shows individual pressures for each tyre on the cluster. Do you just get a single red light and you have to guess which one it is?
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (07-20-21)
Old 07-20-21, 08:14 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

They're the only thing making the Fsport F sporty!

I'm not 100% sure on that. BC will be quick to post the official Lexus chart stating it only works in S+. My only issue with that chart is that it's incorrect regarding the deployment of the AVS in S+...which simply isn't true. The AVS is working every second and the eco preset is softer than normal... uncomfortably so on rougher roads. I digress, the only way to tell rear steering is to get someone to watch whilst you turn the wheel.

Check out the TPMS display they get, it shows individual pressures for each tyre on the cluster. Do you just get a single red light and you have to guess which one it is?
Rear wheel steering is always active regardless of drive mode. It's responsiveness is turned up in Sport S+ but all drive modes give the same amount of rear steering angle.
Cwang (07-21-21)
Old 07-20-21, 09:07 AM
Dreamcast
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

No idea why we don't get TPMS Australia. We get basically everything except for this. It would be especially useful to me right now because I have a screw in my tyre slowly letting out air.

I do appreciate we get everything else though. It's very nice how the seat and steering wheel moves away from you when you turn off the engine for easy exits. And go back into position when you turn on the car. These are luxury touches I can get behind. Also, I wish the ambient led lights are brighter can barely notice them.
Old 07-20-21, 09:22 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

As I understand it rear steering works at any speed but at slow speeds in parking lots the front and rear turn opposite directions for smaller turning radius. At higher speeds on the road they both turn the same directions to sort of crab walk at an angle for quicker steering response without having to turn the wheel as far.
signdetres (07-21-21)
Old 07-21-21, 02:18 AM
DiscoJango
Pit Crew

Yes, my tyre pressure is just a single light to indicate one of the tyres is low, oh well, its better than nothing

One more thing to add to this 'small things' list, once again, i didnt notice it until a few months ago, the car has headlights that turn in the direction your steering, forget what its called, and i know its not a new feature, but its pretty cool, very subtle at night time.

Quick Reply: The small things