GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

TPMS question after searching

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-21, 12:05 PM
Evasive4GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TPMS question after searching

Unfortunately I was unable to find the answer to my question in past threads, but I recently mounted my Leon Hardiritt Ordens using the TPMS adapters and ITM 315/433 Mhz universal programmable TPMS Sensor.

Currently there is no TPMS light on the dash lit, nor any readings in the TPMS information display (just lines on each corner). My tech said he cloned them before install and tried reprogramming. Still nothing. I am unsure if these TPMS aren't compatible, or if the TPMS adapters are affecting the units. I pressed the TPMS reset button under the steering column several times. The TPMS light will flash 3 times and goes away, but nothing comes up on the info display. For a couple days my TPMS light would come on when I would be reversing into a parking spot, but has stopped since.

Before I go and buy another set of TPMS, I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on the reasoning behind this, or suggestions on what I could potentially do. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-14-21, 12:46 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm having the same exact problem after my new wheel install with the same ITM sensors. My tire tech was able to connect to the car and program in all the codes to the car, and I saw on his tool that all 4 sensors were reporting pressure to the tool.

I am going to try the reset procedure again:

1. press ignition button twice to ON setting without turning engine on,
2. press and hold TPMS button way under the steering wheel until the TPMS dash light blinks 3x
3. release TPMS reset button it and leave the car in ignition 2 ON setting with engine off for up to 20 minutes

I'll try and see if I can get the car to read them otherwise I'm gonna ask the dealer if they can check it at no charge, otherwise I'm going to ignore it and just check pressures regularly myself. While the car won't give me a pressure readout, at least I don't have the orange light on.
Old 07-14-21, 01:02 PM
Evasive4GS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by np20412
I'm having the same exact problem after my new wheel install with the same ITM sensors. My tire tech was able to connect to the car and program in all the codes to the car, and I saw on his tool that all 4 sensors were reporting pressure to the tool.

2. press and hold TPMS button way under the steering wheel until the TPMS dash light blinks 3x
3. release TPMS reset button it and leave the car in ignition 2 ON setting with engine off for up to 20 minutes

I'll try and see if I can get the car to read them otherwise I'm gonna ask the dealer if they can check it at no charge, otherwise I'm going to ignore it and just check pressures regularly myself. While the car won't give me a pressure readout, at least I don't have the orange light on.
Let me know if you have any luck! I'll try that out later today as well
Old 07-14-21, 01:26 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Guys, the reset button is not what you think. Per owner's manual, it sets a new low warning light default from whatever psi are currently in the tires.
The following users liked this post:
Evasive4GS (07-15-21)
Old 07-14-21, 01:29 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I will tell you that that this will not work.

The car can't figure out which corner the reading is coming from, even if the tool can pick up the PSI reading, so it will not display the pressure in the dash. I've been thru 2 sets of different sensors and am now just checking my pressure manually for my aftermarket wheels.

I might go with a third set of sensors, or just take my OEM sensors from my OEM wheels, but it has not been a priority for me.
Old 07-14-21, 01:32 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by thisguy_06

The car can't figure out which corner the reading is coming from, even if the tool can pick up the PSI reading, so it will not display the pressure in the dash. I've been thru 2 sets of different sensors and am now just checking my pressure manually for my aftermarket wheels.

I might go with a third set of sensors, or just take my OEM sensors from my OEM wheels, but it has not been a priority for me.
Yeah I get it. I'm going to see if the dealer will do it for the cost of a half hour labor or less. If they try to charge me $100 to do it I'm not going to. It's not that high a priority for me either since the light on the dash is not illuminated. My guess is that my tire tech did not follow the exact right procedure when trying to relearn the new sensors to the vehicle. So the vehicle recognizes that they exist, but can't get the pressures off of them. That's why no orange light or pressure reading. Should be noted that I don't get the orange light ever, even after 30+ minutes of driving (system should throw the orange light after 20 minutes of driving if a malfunction is observed).

edit: well i called the dealer and they won't touch it with aftermarket sensors - they'll only recommend replacement with Toyota OEM sensors. So forget this. maybe next time I replace all 4 tires i'll swap with my OEM sensors that are in my old wheels, if I can't sell them before then.

Last edited by np20412; 07-14-21 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-15-21, 11:34 AM
Evasive4GS
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I get it. I'm going to see if the dealer will do it for the cost of a half hour labor or less. If they try to charge me $100 to do it I'm not going to. It's not that high a priority for me either since the light on the dash is not illuminated. My guess is that my tire tech did not follow the exact right procedure when trying to relearn the new sensors to the vehicle. So the vehicle recognizes that they exist, but can't get the pressures off of them. That's why no orange light or pressure reading. Should be noted that I don't get the orange light ever, even after 30+ minutes of driving (system should throw the orange light after 20 minutes of driving if a malfunction is observed).

edit: well i called the dealer and they won't touch it with aftermarket sensors - they'll only recommend replacement with Toyota OEM sensors. So forget this. maybe next time I replace all 4 tires i'll swap with my OEM sensors that are in my old wheels, if I can't sell them before then.
I'm wondering if those Denso units that I saw in older threads will work. I'm also wondering if my TPMS adapter has anything to do with the issue of not being able to read.
Old 07-15-21, 11:36 AM
Evasive4GS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thisguy_06

Have you tried the Denso 550-0105 TPMS yet?