GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

iPhone Charging - Lightning cable routing from Console

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-21, 09:24 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts
Default iPhone Charging - Lightning cable routing from Console

I use the Mopie USB-C 18 watt PD charger (image below) that plugs into the cigarette lighter receptacle to charge my iPhone through a typical 3' long white Lightning cable. I know i can get a shorter 2' long Lightning cable to replace the 3' long cable, but I wish I didn't have to deal with (visually see) the white Lightning cable. It's an eyesore with black interior and the cable's excess length makes it look messy around the console area. I'm curious if anyone has a recommended or unique cable routing method (out of the console) to tidy things up a little around the console area with regard to concealing the cable out of sight yet still making the 8-pin power connector that plugs into the phone readily available near the cupholder area in case I want to use a cupholder phone mount. I don't normally like to use any type of phone mount (e.g.cupholder,vent mount, etc).

I wish the moveable tray in the console (which I use) was not in the way because then I could use a really short
ESR 7.8" Black Braided Nylon Fast Charging PD USB-C to Lightning cable ESR 7.8" Black Braided Nylon Fast Charging PD USB-C to Lightning cable
(image below) to charge the phone out of sight inside the console.

Last edited by bclexus; 07-15-21 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-15-21, 09:49 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 235 Posts

I was just thinking about the same thing yesterday. My usb-c/ cigarette lighter adapter is from Monster and it’s black but my cord is white. I was thinking I might have to drill a hole on the bottom of the console
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (07-15-21)
Old 07-15-21, 11:02 AM
slvrcrz
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have mine routed through the right side of the console through the leather trimming from the right side, through the cd/climate control panel to my AC vent magsafe mount. granted there is a little bit of excess and its a white cable but its much cleaner than having it dangling like i used to before.
Old 07-15-21, 11:04 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

I installed a wireless charing pad into my center console but it seems to get pretty hot in the heat.. my iPhone gets all wonky right after I take it out but then "resets" after about 5 secs
I might add a usb fan at the bottom to cool it (at least for the summer)
Old 07-15-21, 11:40 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the original poster of this thread!!!! Is that really u??
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (07-15-21)
Old 07-15-21, 12:05 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the original poster of this thread!!!! Is that really u??
Yes...and be aware - cause I'm coming after you, and I'll be taking your GS on a test drive joy ride!

Last edited by bclexus; 07-15-21 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-15-21, 12:52 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 286 Likes on 211 Posts

nevermind.......
Old 07-15-21, 01:35 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a navy blue braided cable, probaby 3 ft that I run to the rear of the center console storage and it slips out the gap under the armrest and then along the passenger side of the console and it rests on the gap-filling pad attached to the seat when I'm not using it. When I have my phone out of my pocket I slide armrest as far back as it will go and lay it on the tray and can easily grab the cable to charge when I need to.

To clarify, there is enough of a gap between the armrest and the storage that the cord fits fine and doesn't interfere with anything.
Old 07-16-21, 02:42 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Not sure of your preferred infotainment setup but I use a wired screen mirroring setup that charges the phone using the same cable as the video feed. It's all run to the center console so that I can just plug it in and hide the phone on the top tray of the console. I use the phone OS nearly full time while driving but if you prefer another interface for navigation and music, you can easily summon the video input to use your phone intermittently while its hidden as opposed to having it in a mount at all times.
Old 07-16-21, 05:31 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

I have the "drop stop" thing for around my seat belts and I used to put the cord through there and floor mats that stick up to charge my phone on my vent (pro clip USA mount) and that way it was much cleaner than having the cord all by my shifter, cup holder. My mount is broken now and I'm waiting on my replacement which is on backorder.. but when it comes I'll try to show how my setup is. And I just have a white cord, would look even cleaner with a black cord instead.
Old 07-16-21, 09:09 AM
davensd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Consider getting a wireless charger and routing the cable along the trim.
Old 07-16-21, 09:33 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by davensd
Consider getting a wireless charger and routing the cable along the trim.
I've considered it, but installing a wireless charger would take up more space in the console than the little Mophie USC-C 18 watt PD car charger along with the short ESR 7.8" USB-C to Lightning cable that I described (with images) in my original post.

I think I would be just as content to plug the readily available short ESR Lightning cable that I leave permanently plugged into the little Mophie car charger into the iPhone to quick charge it - instead of custom installing a wireless charger inside the console that takes up much more console space.

I really don't see having wireless charging in the console being much of a benefit or an advantage compared to the simple and effective setup I described.

Last edited by bclexus; 07-16-21 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-18-21, 07:29 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
I use the Mopie USB-C 18 watt PD charger (image below) that plugs into the cigarette lighter receptacle to charge my iPhone through a typical 3' long white Lightning cable. I know i can get a shorter 2' long Lightning cable to replace the 3' long cable, but I wish I didn't have to deal with (visually see) the white Lightning cable. It's an eyesore with black interior and the cable's excess length makes it look messy around the console area. I'm curious if anyone has a recommended or unique cable routing method (out of the console) to tidy things up a little around the console area with regard to concealing the cable out of sight yet still making the 8-pin power connector that plugs into the phone readily available near the cupholder area in case I want to use a cupholder phone mount. I don't normally like to use any type of phone mount (e.g.cupholder,vent mount, etc).

I wish the moveable tray in the console (which I use) was not in the way because then I could use a really short ESR 7.8" Black Braided Nylon Fast Charging PD USB-C to Lightning cable (image below) to charge the phone out of sight inside the console.

If anyone is interested, my iPhone fits perfectly laying in the console tray as it charges when using the Morphie charger and the short 7.8" ESR USB-C to Lightning cable.

Last edited by bclexus; 07-18-21 at 07:39 PM.