GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rattles, rattles, rattles everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-21, 06:29 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by initial
Your clips arent attaching huh? Send pics so I can have an idea of what I should be seeing when I pop mine off.
Sorry Initial I got sidetracked. I’m looking at mostly this area basically upper left of your looking directly at the panel. I was in a hurry when I put it back on. It definitely sits better than before but I feel there should be a clip here.

Old 07-19-21, 08:33 PM
Jhang300
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a few rattles that I've dealt with. There's a plastic tab/standoff that contacts a metal flat bar inside the dash under the driver footwell. I put a piece of felt tape between them. Another one was a loose jack in the trunk. Apparently the metal tab that holds the jack in place is quite flimsy. It will bend out when you try to tighten the jack too much against it causing the jack to shift and rattle around. I bent the tab back and applied less force on the jack as well as applying felt tape on all contact points between the jack and the trunk when the jack was able to move around. I also had a rattle when closing the door. When lexus replaced the door trims, they reused a broken clip . Replacing the clip was easy. Now I'm chasing a very faint rattle/creak around the passenger front seat. Happens when no one is sitting there. I've tightened the rails, but no luck.
The following users liked this post:
initial (07-22-21)
Old 07-22-21, 08:23 PM
initial
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by lexo98
Sorry Initial I got sidetracked. I’m looking at mostly this area basically upper left of your looking directly at the panel. I was in a hurry when I put it back on. It definitely sits better than before but I feel there should be a clip here.

Thanks man. Did you manage to figure out if a clip went there?
Old 07-22-21, 08:24 PM
initial
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jhang300
I had a few rattles that I've dealt with. There's a plastic tab/standoff that contacts a metal flat bar inside the dash under the driver footwell. I put a piece of felt tape between them. Another one was a loose jack in the trunk. Apparently the metal tab that holds the jack in place is quite flimsy. It will bend out when you try to tighten the jack too much against it causing the jack to shift and rattle around. I bent the tab back and applied less force on the jack as well as applying felt tape on all contact points between the jack and the trunk when the jack was able to move around. I also had a rattle when closing the door. When lexus replaced the door trims, they reused a broken clip . Replacing the clip was easy. Now I'm chasing a very faint rattle/creak around the passenger front seat. Happens when no one is sitting there. I've tightened the rails, but no luck.
That's exactly where it sounded like it was coming from. It was like near the dash area but not necessarily the dash; it also sounded like it was coming from the footwell. Do you know exactly where that spot is so I can find it?
Old 08-19-21, 08:28 AM
slvrcrz
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhang300
where do you find it ? i think im having the same problem with my Gs F, if you can take a pic of the area ? i will try to get and fix it
Old 08-20-21, 12:15 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

Does anyone have a rattle around the driver's side dash that comes in at around 5000rpm and increases with RPM?
Old 08-20-21, 06:09 AM
mfaheem
Driver

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
Does anyone have a rattle around the driver's side dash that comes in at around 5000rpm and increases with RPM?
Is that a rattle or a buzzing noise ?
Old 08-20-21, 02:43 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by mfaheem
Yes you're right it's more of a buzzing sound. Doesn't happen unless I'm letting it rev up. I'm yet to find anyone else who has such an issue
Old 08-20-21, 05:06 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by mfaheem
What I was just telling you I called the plastic Bee buzz.
Old 10-10-21, 03:38 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Originally Posted by initial
Thanks man. Did you manage to figure out if a clip went there?
I barely got around to ordering new clips and popping the door panel off again. It was missing a clip there and on the bottom. I replaced all 9 on the drivers and passenger doors. One more thing I noticed that with the door panel off there is a module attached on the upper inside of the door that rattle when I pounded on the door. I stuffed some cardboard between it and the door and the rattle is gone. Not sure if it was a combination of things but the door definitely sounds more solid when closing it. Also thanks to Peasodos for pointing out that when you take off the door panel you should remove the window liner (it’s clipped on) and install it on the door before reinstalling the panel. That was a huge help and the panel lined up perfectly.
This is the box that I had to put some cardboard behind.

Last edited by lexo98; 10-10-21 at 03:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
initial (10-10-21)
Old 10-11-21, 02:18 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by lexo98
I barely got around to ordering new clips and popping the door panel off again. It was missing a clip there and on the bottom. I replaced all 9 on the drivers and passenger doors. One more thing I noticed that with the door panel off there is a module attached on the upper inside of the door that rattle when I pounded on the door. I stuffed some cardboard between it and the door and the rattle is gone. Not sure if it was a combination of things but the door definitely sounds more solid when closing it. Also thanks to Peasodos for pointing out that when you take off the door panel you should remove the window liner (it’s clipped on) and install it on the door before reinstalling the panel. That was a huge help and the panel lined up perfectly.
This is the box that I had to put some cardboard behind.
Wow referencing my post for January 2019 on a different thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10398269

"If you remove the weather strip trim(inner belt molding) from the top of the door panel(4 clips), install that onto the top part of the door against the glass, the rest of the door panel you can easily press into the door strait on.

I did it your way the first time , discovered it's easier to do than the other way."
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
bloodbean (12-27-21), lexo98 (10-11-21)
Old 10-11-21, 11:22 AM
goose300
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Figured I'd ask in this thread given that it seems to have evolved into the general rattle thread. But recently I replaced the sunroof seal which solved the clunking issue, but there's still an underlying rattle from the sunroof, almost like a ticking noise from one of the corners.

I've been trying to figure out what it is but I can't seem to pinpoint it. Has anyone else experience that type of rattle and what fixed it? I'll try recording it to see if can I can show the sound but it's really annoying and I basically have to keep the sunroof shade closed all the time to reduce the noise which sucks
Old 10-11-21, 12:01 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Originally Posted by goose300
Figured I'd ask in this thread given that it seems to have evolved into the general rattle thread. But recently I replaced the sunroof seal which solved the clunking issue, but there's still an underlying rattle from the sunroof, almost like a ticking noise from one of the corners.

I've been trying to figure out what it is but I can't seem to pinpoint it. Has anyone else experience that type of rattle and what fixed it? I'll try recording it to see if can I can show the sound but it's really annoying and I basically have to keep the sunroof shade closed all the time to reduce the noise which sucks
To be honest it seems that the seal helps cushion the sunroof so that it doesn't rattle, but there is an issue with how it attaches to the rails somewhere. I've seen other fixes that require taking out the entire sunroof and rails. The seal fixed my problem for now so I stopped there.
Old 10-11-21, 04:55 PM
goose300
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Think I located the issue, looks like I managed to strip the threads on the 2 front sided screws when I was reinstalling them, so the sunroof brackets weren't fully screwed in. Very unfortunate as I thought everything was going well, I even bought new screws just in-case but they never arrived as they ended up being back-ordered for a month. Guess I'm making the trip down to the dealer this week.
Old 10-11-21, 07:42 PM
initial
Intermediate

Updating the thread a little bit, I didnt get a chance to touch the car because hurricane Ida decided to sweep New Orleans lol. Been busy helping friends and family with fixing up their homes, so the GS has been just sitting for the last month and a half.

Quick Reply: Rattles, rattles, rattles everywhere