GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rattles, rattles, rattles everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-21, 08:14 PM
initial
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Rattles, rattles, rattles everywhere

What's up clublexus family, I have a 2013 GS350 premium just shy of 70k miles and still running strong. This Louisiana heat recently caused a lot of things in my car to start rattling. I was sitting in my car one day just waiting for my shift to start and I could hear the plastic expanding inside the panels from the heat. Now the car has rattles like you'd never imagine. These rattles happen less at night when it gets "cooler." During the day, it's just awful since the heat makes the plastic expand. This did not happen the last two summers I had owned the car, so this is a first. The car used to be so quiet, and now the rattles make me want to drive the car off a cliff. I was wondering if you guys could give me some guidance on how to tackle these rattles and how to fix them as it will be my first time taking apart anything in this car.

Here's a list and locations of the rattles:

Dashboard/Gauge cluster area: two rattles that seem to be making a clicking sound whenever I go over certain bumps
Driver's side door: two rattles, one under the window switches (they stop rattling when I press my hand against it), and the other rattle I can't figure out. The other rattle sounds like it's coming from inside the door panel, but it sounds like it maybe coming from the door jam/seal.
Passenger side door: a rattle inside the door panel itself
Rear driver side door: slight rattle inside the door panel once in a while
Rear passenger side door: rattle inside the door panel that also seems to happen once in a while
Rear passenger side pillar behind the rear headrest: there's a loud creaking and rattling sound ONLY when going up and down curbs.
Rear driver side pillar behind rear headrest: rattles only over bumps
Sunroof rattle: already have the new sunroof seal on the way.
Old 07-16-21, 08:37 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

It might all be the sunroof issue - some people thought there was a rattle coming from the dashboard when in fact, it was the sunroof. Now if you have really great hearing and you've distinctly identified these noises then I beg to differ...
The following users liked this post:
initial (07-16-21)
Old 07-16-21, 08:42 PM
slvrcrz
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

+ on the sunroof. had me put my ear to everything while driving until i went to clublexus lol
initial (07-16-21)
Old 07-16-21, 08:45 PM
initial
Intermediate

Originally Posted by byungkuk
It might all be the sunroof issue - some people thought there was a rattle coming from the dashboard when in fact, it was the sunroof. Now if you have really great hearing and you've distinctly identified these noises then I beg to differ...
The sunroof seal is coming in next week, so I'll see if it changes anything. I've been driving like this for the last month so I decided to start paying attention to the rattles more with the music off. I was planning to pop the panels off to see if anything maybe loose, but I didnt want to do that just yet. Since you mentioned it might just be the sunroof causing all of this, then I'll replace the seal and pray that's the cause of everything. But as of right now, even with the music on, all of these rattles are very frustrating.
Old 07-16-21, 08:46 PM
initial
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slvrcrz
+ on the sunroof. had me put my ear to everything while driving until i went to clublexus lol
The sunroof caused random rattles inside of the cabin?
Old 07-16-21, 09:14 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts

Ive been tackling the rattles on my 2013. The worst rattles went away with the sunroof seal. Then I popped off the drivers door switch and duct taped the housing together. Pop the switch out and you will see what I’m talking about. That’s a source of one of your rattles. I’ve noticed that both driver and passenger door panels aren’t properly installed so I think I’m about to check those out right now.
initial (07-16-21)
Old 07-16-21, 09:31 PM
initial
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lexo98
Ive been tackling the rattles on my 2013. The worst rattles went away with the sunroof seal. Then I popped off the drivers door switch and duct taped the housing together. Pop the switch out and you will see what I’m talking about. That’s a source of one of your rattles. I’ve noticed that both driver and passenger door panels aren’t properly installed so I think I’m about to check those out right now.
You'd think these rattles wouldnt happen cuz it's a lexus.
Old 07-16-21, 10:15 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 109 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by initial
You'd think these rattles wouldnt happen cuz it's a lexus.
Every first year of production has issues regardless of brand or reliability history.
initial (07-16-21)
Old 07-16-21, 10:48 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

I popped of the drivers door panel and think I got it aligned right but pretty sure one of the clips isn’t catching. Does anyone happen to have a picture of the inside of their door panel so I can see clip locations?
Old 07-16-21, 11:02 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Measured
Every first year of production has issues regardless of brand or reliability history.
I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure the switch rattle abs sunroof rattle are issues on more than just the first year
Old 07-17-21, 02:23 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 464 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Measured
Not so much due to first year production run, but the 2013-15 4GS has more creaks and rattles due to firm spring rates.
The 2016-18 will creak rattle less thanks to its softer spring rates.
While the 2019-20 will be intermediate with creaks and rattles due to use of intermediate spring rates.

Do keep in mind that 2016-20 has more laser welds for a stiffer platform, so these years may creak rattle a little less.
Old 07-17-21, 05:56 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Heat actually causes expansion and will usually tighten connected or fitted parts whereas cold contracts and tends to open or loosen connected/fitted parts, which then creates the likelihood for rattles.

I'm in Dallas,Texas where we often see 3-digit summer temperatures and I've never experienced any rattles due to high temperature. If anything the high temperature snugs things up.
Old 07-18-21, 08:32 PM
initial
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Heat actually causes expansion and will usually tighten connected or fitted parts whereas cold contracts and tends to open or loosen connected/fitted parts, which then creates the likelihood for rattles.

I'm in Dallas,Texas where we often see 3-digit summer temperatures and I've never experienced any rattles due to high temperature. If anything the high temperature snugs things up.
That's pretty neat actually lol. For me and a lot of my friends, the heat tends to expand and make stuff pop out or become a little loose cuz of the expansion. I wish I had your effect lol. It would save me from the rattles.
Old 07-18-21, 08:33 PM
initial
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lexo98
I popped of the drivers door panel and think I got it aligned right but pretty sure one of the clips isn’t catching. Does anyone happen to have a picture of the inside of their door panel so I can see clip locations?
Your clips arent attaching huh? Send pics so I can have an idea of what I should be seeing when I pop mine off.
Old 07-19-21, 04:52 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

What condition are your shocks in? Unless you've changed them already they may be shagged....depending on your driving style. It's amazing how many small rattles go away when the car is sitting on good shocks.

Quick Reply: Rattles, rattles, rattles everywhere