GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tall people - GS awd VS IS awd Leg Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-21, 08:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I went from an IS to a GS and couldn't see myself going back. For me, it was less about front seat space than it was back seat space, though the GS is a nice space upgrade in all areas of the car.

I'm not super tall at just 5'10", but I have long legs (36" inseam). I can't say I was uncomfortable in my AWD IS, and the floor hump never bothered me that much, but it's definitely true that the hump on the GS is less intrusive.
The following 3 users liked this post by JDR76:
AquaMayne (07-21-21), mrcindy (07-28-21), Savjam (07-21-21)
Old 07-20-21, 01:12 PM
AudioMech
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FIrst of all I'm 6'5.My daily is a 2015 GS350, which is very roomy and no complaints. My weekender is a 2008 ISF. I have issues bopping my head around the sunroof headliner drop on hard bumps. It's comfortable leg room wise but not on headroom all the time. The newer IS's i drive at work tend to be about the same.
The following users liked this post:
AquaMayne (07-21-21)
Old 07-20-21, 02:18 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I'm short and I found the IS to be too cramped inside. How can u guys 6 footers fit in one??
AquaMayne (07-21-21)
Old 07-20-21, 02:33 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm 6' 220 lbs. I got in a IS driver seat once and based on that would never have bought one. I thought it was harder to get into than a Corolla. I have a 2013 GS RWD and it has more than enough driver space for legs, head and getting in and out. Only gripe I have is like another poster said is that I have to sit slightly more forward than I'd like as the steering wheel doesn't come out far enought for my preferred leg position. I can drive with a person behind me and still feel comfortable even though I have to move the seat forward but I don't think I'd like a person my size behind me.
The following 2 users liked this post by thallium:
AquaMayne (07-21-21), mrcindy (07-28-21)
Old 07-21-21, 09:47 AM
Poobah
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6'5", Driving a 2015 GS AWD F Sport. I feel that there is more than adequate legroom and foot space for my size 15's in this vehicle.
AquaMayne (07-21-21)
Old 07-25-21, 05:20 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

6'2" here and coming up on 2 years with my GS. I also went from an IS and at the time I got used to it as most people adapt to their vehicle and it becomes normalized. However sitting in a IS now feels tight. I wouldnt go back unless the next generation IS grows a little and actually contains the same features as the GS.
Old 07-25-21, 06:15 PM
Poobah
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate that info as I have been thinking about getting an older IS convertible and I will pay close attention to the legroom.
Old 07-26-21, 05:55 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

6' 0" here. I have zero issues with legroom in my GS. I do, however, wish that the steering wheel was a smaller diameter. In my most comfortable seating position, with the wheel, seat in their optimal positions, my knuckles can hit my thighs if I'm crossed up. I recently had a 2021 RX350 for a loaner and the wheel, while appearing identical to mine, felt smaller, but that may have been an illusion caused by the seating position.
Old 07-28-21, 06:55 AM
NickDangr
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm 6'2". When I went car shopping last year, I would tell the salesmen, "I want to see if I can fit into your car." Legroom and shoulder room was one of my top priorities. I don't fold myself into small cars anymore.

One salesman steered me away from the IS because he knew I wouldn't fit. I tried it anyway, and he was right.

I'm happy with the room in the GS, except that the steering wheel doesn't come out far enough when I put the seat in a comfortable position.
signdetres (07-28-21)
Old 07-28-21, 09:59 AM
mrcindy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'0" and 280 lbs with a long torso. I had a BMW 3-series coupe and I wanted to love the IS350. But, getting in and out of the IS was so difficult that it hurt my neck to bend my head down enough. Once in the IS's driver's seat my legs were fine but a bit tight left to right, and the top of my head brushed the roof even with the seat all the way down. I got a 2017 GS350 RWD and am very glad I did. No comfort complaints.
Old 07-28-21, 10:30 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I found the IS co cramped, also I wish the seat would go lower on the GS.
Old 07-28-21, 10:40 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by NickDangr
I'm happy with the room in the GS, except that the steering wheel doesn't come out far enough when I put the seat in a comfortable position.
Originally Posted by aachowhan
I found the IS co cramped, also I wish the seat would go lower on the GS.
6’4” here and a big yes to both of these for me.

I was never able to really dial in one position and just be comfortable. I had to make little adjustments here and there over the 3 years I had it.

I struggled to see traffic lights and would have to crouch down every single time to see when the light turned green.

I had to duck and look around the rear view mirror to see cars to my right at stop signs.

Due to both the seat height & steering column lengths, I would often brush my knuckles on my knees/thighs when turning the steering wheel.

It wasn’t the most pleasant experience in these areas. If the driver’s seat was able to go as low as the passenger seat, it would have been significantly better.
Old 07-28-21, 10:42 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
6’4” here and a big yes to both of these for me.

I was never able to really dial in one position and just be comfortable. I had to make little adjustments here and there over the 3 years I had it.

I also struggled to see traffic lights and would have to crouch down every single time to see when the light turned green. I also had to duck and look around the rear view mirror to see cars to my right at stop signs.

Due to both the seat height & steering column lengths, I also would often brush my knuckles on my knees thighs when turning the steering wheel.

It wasn’t the most pleasant experience in these areas. If the driver’s seat was able to go as low as the passenger seat, it would have been significantly better.

Yeah I have to look around the mirror or crouch a bit too. I kinda got used to it but I think I know why I find myself wanting an suv at times. The space is so much better. My SO has a RX and I do enjoy the additional head room.
Old 07-28-21, 10:47 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Yeah I have to look around the mirror or crouch a bit too. I kinda got used to it but I think I know why I find myself wanting an suv at times. The space is so much better. My SO has a RX and I do enjoy the additional head room.
Agreed. I wanted one often & always enjoyed driving the RX loaners when my GS was in service. Very spacious and comfortable to be in. Our next car is an SUV/crossover and I’m very excited to have more interior space.
Old 07-29-21, 06:51 AM
NickDangr
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

The mirror is a problem. At an ordinary intersection, it blocks all view of the cars at the line of the street to my right.

This thread brings up memories. My dad was taller than I am. The car he drove in the 1960s had a six-inch circular grease spot in the headliner above the driver's seat caused by his hair rubbing against it.

Quick Reply: Tall people - GS awd VS IS awd Leg Comfort