GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

New genuine rotors & pads (4000 miles ago) and already have pulsating

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-21 | 05:07 PM
Fakiiri
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy New genuine rotors & pads (4000 miles ago) and already have pulsating

Hi,

Had genuine Lexus components fitted at all four corners and new front tires installed and road force balanced. The rears tires are about one year old.
I did a proper bedding procedure with repeated decelerations from 40-50mph to almost zero and once done I let them cool down for a solid 20-30 minutes before using the brakes. Since then I've already developed a very annoying pulsation when braking. It's most noticeable at highway speeds if I have to go hard on the brakes and when I'm just about to come to a stop at a light (last 10mph to standstill). On the highway it's more of a strong vibration and when coming to a stop at a light you can literally feel when the brakes "catch more" at certain spots. It's kind of hard to explain but it almost feels as if you'd be rocking back an forth.
It's really irritating to have these issues after spending so much money on genuine parts.
Is there anything else that could cause vibrations as described above apart from brake issues? And if it is the brakes, how on earth does this happen on such new brakes and what can I do?
Below are pics of the rotors.
Thanks in advance!

https://imgur.com/a/eCKY0YX
Old 08-26-21 | 05:26 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I 100% avoid any pads that require a specific break in procedure, but you did this with OEM pads?
Old 08-26-21 | 05:29 PM
Fakiiri
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I 100% avoid any pads that require a specific break in procedure, but you did this with OEM pads?
Yes everything was OEM and installed by a reputable shop in my area.
Pads: 04465-30491, 04466-30310
Rotors: 43512-30371, 43516-30061, 42431-30310
Shim kit: 04945-30340
Old 08-26-21 | 05:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

You don't need to do any hard braking or anything else on new pads, just drive. But that shouldn't make a difference unless the brakes got so hot the pads melted and glazed over. I suppose that is possible. Does the pedal feel (or did feel) normal? No dragging?

Going by the pictures the pads have hardened and are now damaging the rotors.
Old 08-26-21 | 05:42 PM
Fakiiri
Driver School Candidate

You don't need to do any hard braking or anything else on new pads, just drive. But that shouldn't make a difference unless the brakes got so hot the pads melted and glazed over. I suppose that is possible. Does the pedal feel (or did feel) normal? No dragging?

Going by the pictures the pads have hardened and are now damaging the rotors.
It's definitely possible that they got too hot, I followed advice from across the boards on how to bed in new brakes... I did 15-20 decelerations from around 40 mph. I remember reading that it's normal to be able to smell the brakes during this procedure and I did indeed smell them... Hope I didn't screw them all up.
Old 08-26-21 | 05:43 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fakiiri
Yes everything was OEM and installed by a reputable shop in my area.
Pads: 04465-30491, 04466-30310
Rotors: 43512-30371, 43516-30061, 42431-30310
Shim kit: 04945-30340
Did the shop machine those Rotors before they put them on new? Some claim it needs to be done. I would never.

Something about that Rotor surface looks real strange? If not 15 - 20 deceleration from 40mph did it. It does look like the Pads are damaging the Rotors. They would have just gotten friendly together just doing normal driving. Looks like too many overheated cycles.

Last edited by jgscott; 08-26-21 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-26-21 | 05:46 PM
Fakiiri
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jgscott
Did the shop machine those Rotors before they put them on new? Some claim it needs to be done. I would never.

Something about that Rotor surface looks real strange?
I don't think so - at least they didn't mention doing that.

I took the picture below of the front left before leaving the shop

https://imgur.com/a/fTzrwgP
Old 08-26-21 | 05:55 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I don't think so - at least they didn't mention doing that.

I took the picture below of the front left before leaving the shop

https://imgur.com/a/fTzrwgP
Ok what you are describing is a pulsation in the brakes rotors. Normally that feeling comes from Warped Rotors and/or Rotors too thin. But yours are new. My guess would be they are defective or you warped them.
Old 08-26-21 | 06:54 PM
Fakiiri
Driver School Candidate

Ok what you are describing is a pulsation in the brakes rotors. Normally that feeling comes from Warped Rotors and/or Rotors too thin. But yours are new. My guess would be they are defective or you warped them.
I thought it’s very hard to actually warp rotors? And that vibrations are usually caused by hot spots. I doubt however that I have hot spots since the whole point of the bedding procedure is to prevent that from happening (or so I thought)…
Old 08-26-21 | 07:04 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I've never seen a warped rotor, what seems like warping is pad material fused to the rotor. I proved this by belt sanding the crud off after that the rotor didn't vibrate. I'm not recommending this you don't get proper finish but it does work I drove on those rotors for a few months before replacing, mostly for looks.
I did 15-20 decelerations from around 40 mph. I remember reading that it's normal to be able to smell the brakes during this procedure and I did indeed smell them... Hope I didn't screw them all up.
That doesn't sound good you put the brakes through a fair bit of stress these are street pads and rotors they are not designed to get super hot especially the rotors. You absolutely do not need to bed in OEM pads, or my favourite pad the Akebono Pro ACT.
Old 08-26-21 | 08:37 PM
Fakiiri
Driver School Candidate

I've never seen a warped rotor, what seems like warping is pad material fused to the rotor. I proved this by belt sanding the crud off after that the rotor didn't vibrate. I'm not recommending this you don't get proper finish but it does work I drove on those rotors for a few months before replacing, mostly for looks.

That doesn't sound good you put the brakes through a fair bit of stress these are street pads and rotors they are not designed to get super hot especially the rotors. You absolutely do not need to bed in OEM pads, or my favourite pad the Akebono Pro ACT.
I can’t believe I might have ruined $1000 brakes doing something I was lead to believe was going to increase their lifespan… Wonder if resurfacing the rotors would fix the issue?
Old 08-26-21 | 08:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

It will but also replace the pads.
Old 08-26-21 | 08:48 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Ok, they called it warp rotor but it actually uneven high/low spots on the face.
Old 08-26-21 | 08:54 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I can’t believe I might have ruined $1000 brakes doing something I was lead to believe was going to increase their lifespan… Wonder if resurfacing the rotors would fix the issue?
If you did have them resurfaced I personally would stress that you want just the high spots cutting just a little. They sometime put them on a machine and cut way too much. The end result 5k miles later the rotor is thin and pulsating again bad.

Depending how the Pads are? You likely would be best replacing the Pads. Sometimes if you tell them there was a problem they may possibly warranty them out. Don't do the 15 - 20 brake exercise again.
Old 08-27-21 | 03:51 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

If you did have them resurfaced I personally would stress that you want just the high spots cutting just a little. They sometime put them on a machine and cut way too much. The end result 5k miles later the rotor is thin and pulsating again bad.

Depending how the Pads are? You likely would be best replacing the Pads. Sometimes if you tell them there was a problem they may possibly warranty them out. Don't do the 15 - 20 brake exercise again.
"read it on the internet" from a consumer, not an ASE tech. Like said above, don't do that again. Lesson learned.

Yes, you warped the rotors which is causing the vibration, maybe ruined the pads. Hopefully you can get things fixed under warranty.

Quick Reply: New genuine rotors & pads (4000 miles ago) and already have pulsating