GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Missing the GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-21 | 06:12 PM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

Do you still think the Cyber Truck is really going to happen?... After hearing talk from inside engineers and other auto journalist's about the expense and complicity on the engineering aspect of it. A large majority of these inside skeptics with interest in Tesla, are skeptical that to build these things in the numbers that are expected from initial deposits and predicted sales is almost impossible. To which if it does happen, it will take years before they can produce them at a moderate volume and with good build quality...because even to this day with the plaid it's still shotie workmanship and questionable QC with some of the issues with these cars that are being sold to the public. When it's such a obvious visual imperfection and the QC team goes..."It's not that bad and we've made worse....your right, SEND IT". Time will tell I guess.
Old 09-07-21 | 06:44 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by GSJ350
Do you still think the Cyber Truck is really going to happen?... After hearing talk from inside engineers and other auto journalist's about the expense and complicity on the engineering aspect of it. A large majority of these inside skeptics with interest in Tesla, are skeptical that to build these things in the numbers that are expected from initial deposits and predicted sales is almost impossible. To which if it does happen, it will take years before they can produce them at a moderate volume and with good build quality...because even to this day with the plaid it's still shotie workmanship and questionable QC with some of the issues with these cars that are being sold to the public. When it's such a obvious visual imperfection and the QC team goes..."It's not that bad and we've made worse....your right, SEND IT". Time will tell I guess.
I do think it will happen but I would not be surprised if it is further delayed and they don't start producing initial ones till mid-late 2022. Regarding quality, yea, they are a tech company that happens to produce cars so they have to learn from mistakes to become good. When I took delivery of my Y, I found a few issues (minor) that was subpar. They told me I have 500 miles to drive it and log everything I have issues with in the Tesla app. I did that and they fixed all the obvious issues which bothered me a lot. Some items they said were still in spec and did not fix but did say it is logged in the app so if it gets any worse, it is on them to fix. For a company that has only mass produced cars since 2012, they have done an incredible job. If I compare the fit/finish/quality to Lexus then Tesla has quite a way to go still to be competitive in workmanship and materials.
All I can say is that I get a huge smile when I stomp on the accelerator and get pushed back into the seat and also smile when I open the garage in the morning and have a full charge every day and never have to see a gas station (except for when I have to fill up my gas cars).

With all that said, I still want a Gen1 Audi R8 V10. It is still out of my budget range unless I get a salvage one and rebuild it. Maybe one day.
Old 09-07-21 | 07:38 PM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

Well the only time I've been in one was back in 2015 when my buddy worked for one of the info centers I guess they call them in Texas since they can't call them "Dealership's". I think it was just a P85 but I remember thinking... This is so freaking weird crazy and cool at the sametime. The instant torque with the instant G's along with a quietness only a librarian could truly appreciate was surprising and addictive. Additionally, The large front display was like the Swiss army knife in it's design philosophy to which more than just a techie could appreciate. It was just as cool then as it is now and probably more with the added Raven and plaid models. I think elon's try on a fully automized assembly line got them started off on the wrong foot and probably behind a few years of traditional assembly line knowledge. But I'll eat my words if they are released anywhere near there estimated on sale date, and I'm hoping that they do because these will look wild driving down the street 😲.lastly, since it seems I'm converting myself to a tesla fanboy as I'm writing this 😜... Im guessing maybe tesla isn't to concerned about little QC issues when it's 4 door family car does 1.9 0-60 and runs 9.1-9.2 at mid 150's in the quarter and you just kind of forget about it's flaws👍🏻.
Old 09-08-21 | 09:59 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Yea, I know this is a Lexus forum but since I still own a Lexus I guess I get to still talk about stuff here as a fan boy of both manufacturers. I am also impressed with what Tesla has done. My first experience was in a P85D back in 2013 from what I remember. The driver stomped on it without warning me. It was super impressive. Now that I get to stomp on the pedal with my own (Model Y), it is much more thrilling.
Having to wait about 20 min to charge in Baker when driving to Vegas does blow though. I am used to driving non-stop so the mental loss of time bothers me. Range anxiety is real.....
Old 09-09-21 | 05:17 AM
Nalod
Advanced

20 months and 12k miles with my 2020 AWD Fsport GS. Avg 23mpg. Goes up with road trips, down in the city to about 20mpg.
Some cars look better then they drive, this thing drives better then it looks. Not that its ugly, its just low key and a bit dated. I knew that when I bought it.
With Inventory the used prices are stupid high. I paid 49k new on a MSRP of 59k. I see many in my range going for 45k- and higher.
This “Grand Touring” car is very comfortable with some “Sport” look and capabiity. “Fun” is not prevalent as it would be for a IS 350 Fsport. Im good with its the low key looks of the GS flying under the radar. Love the design of the new IS and even the low slung effect of the ES is very attractive. But we all know its not the same drive or fit and finish.
GS is “Substance over style”.
Genesis make very nice cars and would be the natural replacement. Im good for a while though.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (09-12-21)
Old 09-09-21 | 02:06 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Saw a few new Genesis lately and honestly they caught my eye. They look really nice.