GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Very low MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-21, 08:29 PM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
I think you have your tire pressure/tire wear backwards.

Too much air pressure will bulge the tire, causing center wear.

Too little air pressure will allow the tire to fold in the middle slightly and wear the inner and outer edges.

As far as alignment, toe-in or toe-out are the ones that affect mileage the most. Caster has absolutely no impact on mileage (handling, yes) and camber has very little unless it is extreme as in more than 4° +/-.

If the car is toed-in too much, you will wear the inner edges the tires will be "snow plowing" as you try to go forward. If it is toed-out, you will wear the outer edges unless you camber is hugely off.

One additional thing to check is your brakes. Check to be sure you calipers aren't sticking. Even a little bit will put a drag on the mileage.
Yes, you are correct and I got those flipped flopped👍🏻. Also in are suspension geometry and alot of other vehicles as well is that castor adjustment has a direct effect on toe, and is why alignment procedure dictates an order of procedure with toe being the last adjustment. I could be wrong again though and be one strike away from club ejection 😬😊.
The following users liked this post:
Knucklebus (09-10-21)
Old 09-08-21, 08:37 PM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I think idling is not the killer of fuel mileage with the GS 350. I believe you could idle the engine for many hours on-end and really not burn much fuel - of course you'd travel zero miles so the fuel mileage would in essence be zero. I think what kills fuel mileage with the GS 350 is practically any positive throttle that accelerates the car - even minimal, gentle acceleration seems to make fuel mileage suffer beyond what is expected. Maintaining a slow constant speed of around 40 mph seems to produce quite good fuel mileage. As does maintaining a constant highway speed of around 60-70 mph. However, push on that throttle pedal to briefly accelerate (increase ground speed) even just a little bit and fuel mileage drops drastically...
You are spot on with that whole statement... It's like riding a bike, the initial power to get up to speed is exponentially more then it is to maintain that speed. Then when you want to increase that speed more it takes not as much as the beginning but definitely more than just cruising to go faster. This is one of those times a bigger engine would increase fuel economy instead of decrease it. The usual thinking that smaller engines are more efficient is mainly only true when you are driving at that engines sweet spot and staying constant. Smaller engines have to work harder compared to larger ones that inheritly dont 👍🏻.
The following 2 users liked this post by GSJ350:
AJLex19 (09-09-21), bclexus (09-09-21)
Old 09-09-21, 04:17 AM
oceans
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2011 Lexus GS350. I do 59 on the highway. I don't push the car in the city. I don't hav a heavy foot and use cruise often. Don't plant my foot starting from stop signs or lights. I am quite happy with the fuel consumption. The Gs350 is a pestige car not a race car and needs to be handled like a women. carefully.
Old 09-09-21, 11:09 AM
Clayboy718
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think idling is not the killer of fuel mileage with the GS 350. I believe you could idle the engine for many hours on-end and really not burn much fuel - of course you'd travel zero miles so the fuel mileage would in essence be zero. I think what kills fuel mileage with the GS 350 is practically any positive throttle that accelerates the car - even minimal, gentle acceleration seems to make fuel mileage suffer beyond what is expected. Maintaining a slow constant speed of around 40 mph seems to produce quite good fuel mileage. As does maintaining a constant highway speed of around 60-70 mph. However, push on that throttle pedal to briefly accelerate (increase ground speed) even just a little bit and fuel mileage drops drastically...

You're SO right about this. Two days ago, I filled up right before getting on the highway and I’ve been averaging around 18 MPG ever since. The last two days, I’ve only been driving to and from work. And I’ve been very mindful not to take off and accelerate rapidly which I tend to do occasionally. I once glanced at my MPG after “flooring it” to pass a group of slow moving cars and I swear my MPG dropped from 18 to 17 in like 2 seconds. It’s the rapid acceleration that is a real killer of fuel economy.
Old 09-09-21, 01:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by Clayboy718
You're SO right about this. Two days ago, I filled up right before getting on the highway and I’ve been averaging around 18 MPG ever since. The last two days, I’ve only been driving to and from work. And I’ve been very mindful not to take off and accelerate rapidly which I tend to do occasionally. I once glanced at my MPG after “flooring it” to pass a group of slow moving cars and I swear my MPG dropped from 18 to 17 in like 2 seconds. It’s the rapid acceleration that is a real killer of fuel economy.
What kills fuel mileage with the GS 350 is practically any (I mean literally any) positive throttle that accelerates the car - even minimally. Even the most gentle acceleration makes fuel mileage suffer. If you get in the habit of acting as though there is an open tube of toothpaste or a fresh egg between your foot and the gas pedal you'll see much better fuel mileage. While not as much fun, it'll save you money at the pump and you won't visit your tire dealer as often...

Last edited by bclexus; 09-09-21 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-09-21, 02:04 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

I am surprised that're pretty poor gas mileage. I remember it being a little better than that. Hell my Corvette gets way better gas mileage at around 22-24mpg in city driving and that's a V8 with 460HP lol.
Old 09-09-21, 05:14 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Interesting, I previously had a 14 GS as well and was convinced something was wrong as I only would get 13-15 mpg on average, car drove totally fine and only had 50k miles, my brother who has a 15 GS would consistently get 4-5 mpg more than me on similar drives. I never figured out why that car got such low mileage, I even changed the plugs but it didn’t help. I have a 16 GS now and I usually get about 18-19 mpg on the same commute and can get 26-27 on highway trips fairly easily.
Old 09-09-21, 08:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I think the answer to the fuel mileage enigma lies in how Lexus fashioned the ECU for the GS 350 engine to perform at peak performance at times of driver induced throttle response with performance tweaked ignition and camshaft (valve) timing, plus transmission shift parameters - all of which are not conducive to achieving admirable fuel mileage. The ECU for the ES 350 engine, on the other hand, doesn't perform at this same peak performance like that of the GS 350, thus the 'executive' model ES 350 doesn't suffer from poor fuel mileage nearly as badly as the 'sporty' GS 350 model does - and with that in mind the car maker only recommends regular gasoline for the ES 350 whereas the car maker recommends premium gasoline for the GS 350. Whether you are in ECO, Standard or Sport drive mode the GS 350's engine and transmission is ready to perform at its best at the slightest heavy touch of the accelerator. In fact, you can drag race a GS 350 at WOT (wide open throttle) in all three drive modes (with the transmission in either Drive or Manual - and shift it manually or just let it upshift at redline) - and for all practical purposes the end results will be the same for technical reasons as Lexus purposely designed its higher performance into the GS 350's ECU. And, that is the reason I think the GS 350 doesn't get the fuel mileage one might expect it to achieve at first thought and consideration...

Last edited by bclexus; 09-10-21 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-10-21, 07:10 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

I think the answer to the fuel mileage enigma lies in how Lexus fashioned the ECU for the GS 350 engine to perform at peak performance at times of driver induced throttle response with performance tweaked ignition and camshaft (valve) timing, plus transmission shift parameters - all of which are not conducive to achieving admirable fuel mileage. The ECU for the ES 350 engine, on the other hand, doesn't perform at this same peak performance like that of the GS 350, thus the 'executive' model ES 350 doesn't suffer from poor fuel mileage nearly as badly as the 'sporty' GS 350 model does - and with that in mind the car maker only recommends regular gasoline for the ES 350 whereas the car maker recommends premium gasoline for the GS 350. Whether you are in ECO, Standard or Sport drive mode the GS 350's engine and transmission is ready to perform at its best at the slightest heavy touch of the accelerator. In fact, you can drag race a GS 350 at WOT (wide open throttle) in all three drive modes (with he transmission in either Drive or Manual) and for all practical purposes the end results will be the same for technical reasons for which Lexus purposely designed into the GS 350's ECU. And, that is the reason I think the GS 350 doesn't get the fuel mileage one might expect it to achieve at first thought and consideration...
It's odd because my 3rd Gen GS350 gets better gas mileage than my 4th Gen GS350 and the third gen has a ton more miles and years on it. They are both the same in terms of speed too so maybe Lexus messed something up in the 4th gens.
Old 09-10-21, 07:26 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 402 Likes on 284 Posts

I think the answer to the fuel mileage enigma lies in how Lexus fashioned the ECU for the GS 350 engine to perform at peak performance at times of driver induced throttle response with performance tweaked ignition and camshaft (valve) timing, plus transmission shift parameters - all of which are not conducive to achieving admirable fuel mileage. The ECU for the ES 350 engine, on the other hand, doesn't perform at this same peak performance like that of the GS 350, thus the 'executive' model ES 350 doesn't suffer from poor fuel mileage nearly as badly as the 'sporty' GS 350 model does - and with that in mind the car maker only recommends regular gasoline for the ES 350 whereas the car maker recommends premium gasoline for the GS 350. Whether you are in ECO, Standard or Sport drive mode the GS 350's engine and transmission is ready to perform at its best at the slightest heavy touch of the accelerator. In fact, you can drag race a GS 350 at WOT (wide open throttle) in all three drive modes (with he transmission in either Drive or Manual) and for all practical purposes the end results will be the same for technical reasons for which Lexus purposely designed into the GS 350's ECU. And, that is the reason I think the GS 350 doesn't get the fuel mileage one might expect it to achieve at first thought and consideration...
I think the FWD ES has a lot less drivetrain drag as well. They share little more than an oil filter and a logo. The FWD alone should account for something like 15-20% better MPG though it throughs balance and performance out the window.
Old 09-10-21, 07:55 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Gentlemen, what makes your actual MPG numbers even worse is that all of you likely used E10 gasohol. That would drop the numbers even more. For example it was 18.5 it would be 17.4. Also, That is in theory, but in reality for my car it is closer to 10% loss.
Old 09-10-21, 09:30 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by sunamer
Gentlemen, what makes your actual MPG numbers even worse is that all of you likely used E10 gasohol. That would drop the numbers even more. For example it was 18.5 it would be 17.4. Also, That is in theory, but in reality for my car it is closer to 10% loss.
I had an 07ES with the same 3.5v6. It would get 32-33mpg on the highway.....then ethanol gas came along and it got 29-30mpg highway. Even though the fuel systems are different between ES/GS ethanol has the same MPG effects. Before ethanol it was MTBE, but that had environmental issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTBE_controversy
Old 09-10-21, 09:47 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

What kills fuel mileage with the GS 350 is practically any (I mean literally any) positive throttle that accelerates the car - even minimally. Even the most gentle acceleration makes fuel mileage suffer. If you get in the habit of acting as though there is an open tube of toothpaste or a fresh egg between your foot and the gas pedal you'll see much better fuel mileage. While not as much fun, it'll save you money at the pump and you won't visit your tire dealer as often...

LOL, I would just get a corolla or Honda civic with the smallest most economical engine and turn the AC off in the middle of summer if I want that experience and to save as much on gas as possible. I stopped putting it in eco mode because I didn't like the weaker throttle/acceleration. It really defeats the point of getting a largish, heavy luxury car with a 300hp+ engine barely using the power just to save some money at the pump/on tires. I don't like wasting money and if I can save money on gas/tires within reason I will try to do it but I still like to enjoy the power and smoothness too. I knew when I got my GS430 and GS350 they were not going to get very good mileage aside from highway, I still wanted the power and performance, I just try to drive them less, luckily most of the time I have owned them gas prices were pretty low.

With gas prices rising since Jan and getting worse/staying high I don't drive as aggressively though and try to combine trips/errands, not drive as much, the trips to the pump are a little painful.
Old 09-10-21, 09:55 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
It's odd because my 3rd Gen GS350 gets better gas mileage than my 4th Gen GS350 and the third gen has a ton more miles and years on it. They are both the same in terms of speed too so maybe Lexus messed something up in the 4th gens.
3rd Gen GS350 was also putting out quicker 0-60 times and felt quicker then the 4th Gen GS350, I thought they may have adjusted gearing for the 4th Gen to get better mileage but I guess not if you get better mileage in the 3rd Gen. The 4th Gen is a wider larger looking car then the 3rd Gen, more luxury/performance features so maybe it is the extra weight, larger wheels.
Old 09-10-21, 11:15 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
LOL, I would just get a corolla or Honda civic with the smallest most economical engine and turn the AC off in the middle of summer if I want that experience and to save as much on gas as possible. I stopped putting it in eco mode because I didn't like the weaker throttle/acceleration. It really defeats the point of getting a largish, heavy luxury car with a 300hp+ engine barely using the power just to save some money at the pump/on tires. I don't like wasting money and if I can save money on gas/tires within reason I will try to do it but I still like to enjoy the power and smoothness too. I knew when I got my GS430 and GS350 they were not going to get very good mileage aside from highway, I still wanted the power and performance, I just try to drive them less, luckily most of the time I have owned them gas prices were pretty low.

With gas prices rising since Jan and getting worse/staying high I don't drive as aggressively though and try to combine trips/errands, not drive as much, the trips to the pump are a little painful.
Totally agree...However, for those that feel the need to get the most fuel mileage out of their GS 350 they need to drive it like a left-wing progressive drives their Prius.

Quick Reply: Very low MPG