GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Very low MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-21, 04:33 PM
ChicagoGSf
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had new 7 series for the weekend with the V8 and it also had much better mpg…. Very cool car with amazing tech particularly the heads up but it had problems already. It was a 2021 with 3k and the sunroof was broken and a parking sensor cover fell off while I had it. That’s ridiculous for a 100k car. Good reminder why Lexus is the best car manufacturer.

Also, my 15 fsport sees about 250miles per tank religiously. Only premium gas and fair mix of city/highway.
Old 09-11-21, 07:30 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
LOL, I would just get a corolla or Honda civic with the smallest most economical engine and turn the AC off in the middle of summer if I want that experience and to save as much on gas as possible. I stopped putting it in eco mode because I didn't like the weaker throttle/acceleration. It really defeats the point of getting a largish, heavy luxury car with a 300hp+ engine barely using the power just to save some money at the pump/on tires. I don't like wasting money and if I can save money on gas/tires within reason I will try to do it but I still like to enjoy the power and smoothness too. I knew when I got my GS430 and GS350 they were not going to get very good mileage aside from highway, I still wanted the power and performance, I just try to drive them less, luckily most of the time I have owned them gas prices were pretty low.

With gas prices rising since Jan and getting worse/staying high I don't drive as aggressively though and try to combine trips/errands, not drive as much, the trips to the pump are a little painful.
LOL with that mindset manufacturers never have to improve and make a better car. There are alternatives to the GS that have both better gas mileage and more power. Also, I think the main goal of the OP was to find out if his MPG is out of line for this car and if there were ways to increase the MPG of the GS (to make it better). Why just accept it, if there is a way to make the car better?
Old 09-11-21, 08:15 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
LOL with that mindset manufacturers never have to improve and make a better car. There are alternatives to the GS that have both better gas mileage and more power. Also, I think the main goal of the OP was to find out if his MPG is out of line for this car and if there were ways to increase the MPG of the GS (to make it better). Why just accept it, if there is a way to make the car better?
You totally missed the point, that is not what I said at all. I was talking about driving like a granny in a larger heavier lux sedan to squeak out better mileage kind of defeats the purpose of buying and owning one and if you are going to do that maybe a GS is not the car for you, maybe a econo car is better suited for you. We don't have a improved or better GS, its dead now. There aren't really any alternatives to the GS that are as reliable, look like it, and offer its NA V6 experience so it is pretty obvious the OP and many of us like our GS's and don't want to just get something else with better mileage and more power yet. I am aware of the OP's goal, we answered him that it was not out of the ordinary to get his kind of mileage in NYC stop and go, aside from recommendations like tire pressure and clean air filter there is not much else unless you drive like a granny which I don't think many want to do in this type of car.
Old 09-11-21, 08:53 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 402 Likes on 284 Posts

My other car is a 7.6L/500HP muscle car (also a GS) that will pass anything but a gas station. It gets 12MPG if I baby it and I never baby it. It gets 9MPG the way I normally drive... SIDEWAYS!

I didn't buy the Lexus GS for gas mileage. I bought it to feel like I was going somewhere and enjoying the ride. I hate nothing more than to drive a gutless car. The Lexus is the only car I own that isn't a V8.
Old 09-11-21, 09:11 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
My other car is a 7.6L/500HP muscle car (also a GS) that will pass anything but a gas station. It gets 12MPG if I baby it and I never baby it. It gets 9MPG the way I normally drive... SIDEWAYS!

I didn't buy the Lexus GS for gas mileage. I bought it to feel like I was going somewhere and enjoying the ride. I hate nothing more than to drive a gutless car. The Lexus is the only car I own that isn't a V8.
► Folks - This is a 'real' GS! ◄

Last edited by bclexus; 09-11-21 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-11-21, 09:30 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
You totally missed the point, that is not what I said at all. I was talking about driving like a granny in a larger heavier lux sedan to squeak out better mileage kind of defeats the purpose of buying and owning one and if you are going to do that maybe a GS is not the car for you, maybe a econo car is better suited for you. We don't have a improved or better GS, its dead now. There aren't really any alternatives to the GS that are as reliable, look like it, and offer its NA V6 experience so it is pretty obvious the OP and many of us like our GS's and don't want to just get something else with better mileage and more power yet. I am aware of the OP's goal, we answered him that it was not out of the ordinary to get his kind of mileage in NYC stop and go, aside from recommendations like tire pressure and clean air filter there is not much else unless you drive like a granny which I don't think many want to do in this type of car.
Yeah I agree with that there isn't a whole lot you can do with the 4GS. I find it rarely ever meets the rated MPG but for some reason my 3GS seems to meet or exceed its rated MPG. On all my other cars (except the 2GS) I can easily meet or many times exceed the rated MPG. But no matter how much I baby the 4GS, I can't ever seem to get the rated MPG unless I am driving on a highway that is going downhill the entire time.