GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is AWD Drive On GS350 Reliable And Repair Friendly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-21, 06:38 AM
Ahmed07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is AWD Drive On GS350 Reliable And Repair Friendly?

Hey guys! New here! Questions. So I've never owned a lexus before and I'm thinking of getting a gs350. I saw a 2013 awd with 175,000km for $16,500 (but not married to it). But I heard awd cars breakdown more often then 2 wheelers, are more expensive to repair, and require more upkeep. Is that true for Lexus as well? Particularly the gs350? I've heard Lexus has a good reputation for reliability but haven't heard much about their awd long-term life.

Right now I have a maxima and it's been killing me at the shop so I'm really trying to avoid mechanics outside of basic maintenance. I live in Canada so awd would be good for the snow but the only reason I'm considering it is because it's tough to find 2 wheelers in my area. I'd love to join the list of 20-year car owners but I like a bit of luxury in my car as well so I'm hoping this could do it for me. And also, what do you think about the price? Is that a good deal? And lastly, I read that they're not making the gs anymore. So does that mean it's not a good idea to buy one or does it not matter? I was thinking certain parts might be more expensive if there's less of them out there.

Thanks a lot for your help guys!
Old 09-05-21, 09:39 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmed07
Hey guys! New here! Questions. So I've never owned a lexus before and I'm thinking of getting a gs350. I saw a 2013 awd with 175,000km for $16,500 (but not married to it). But I heard awd cars breakdown more often then 2 wheelers, are more expensive to repair, and require more upkeep. Is that true for Lexus as well? Particularly the gs350? I've heard Lexus has a good reputation for reliability but haven't heard much about their awd long-term life.

Right now I have a maxima and it's been killing me at the shop so I'm really trying to avoid mechanics outside of basic maintenance. I live in Canada so awd would be good for the snow but the only reason I'm considering it is because it's tough to find 2 wheelers in my area. I'd love to join the list of 20-year car owners but I like a bit of luxury in my car as well so I'm hoping this could do it for me. And also, what do you think about the price? Is that a good deal? And lastly, I read that they're not making the gs anymore. So does that mean it's not a good idea to buy one or does it not matter? I was thinking certain parts might be more expensive if there's less of them out there.

On modern cars AWD is no more problematic or needing of more upkeep then 2wd cars, it does not breakdown more nor is it likely more expensive to repair. The AWD system in the GS is robust and reliable and something you don't even notice is working, it does not add a lot of weight or complexity either. The only extra thing you may have to do is at some time change the extra differential fluid and many people never change it.

I would take any used car you are buying to have it inspected by a trusted mechanic or dealership, 4th Gen GS's are reliable cars but with 175km you are still dealing with a car with 175km mileage that could have been rough miles, make sure maintenance was up to date. For $16.5K I would look for something with a little less miles, may have to travel a little for it.
The following users liked this post:
Ahmed07 (09-06-21)
Old 09-06-21, 12:03 PM
eddie420

Received 628 Likes on 450 Posts

I'd recommend a vehicle with less miles at that price, although most people would consider that mileage just "breaking in" the car rather than "end-of-life". Better deals can be had for that mileage so the value proposition seems to be low. And since you're most likely purchasing locally, make sure to check the undercarriage for any major rust issues that stem for those Canadian winters!
Ahmed07 (09-06-21)
Old 09-06-21, 01:48 PM
Ahmed07
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I hear ya about the price. But the thing is that seems to be the numbers I'm seeing everywhere. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the pandemic (I've heard the value of used cars have gone up because of it but haven't really looked into it) but I'm seeing another one with same year and mileage going for the same price, I'm seeing and '09 450 rwd hybrid with 100,000km going for $15k, an '08 350 awd 225,000km for $13k, a 2010 350 rwd 209,000km for $11k and so on.

So this seems to be the market right now. I can't really find anything better.
Old 09-06-21, 02:48 PM
eddie420

Received 628 Likes on 450 Posts

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I hear ya about the price. But the thing is that seems to be the numbers I'm seeing everywhere. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the pandemic (I've heard the value of used cars have gone up because of it but haven't really looked into it) but I'm seeing another one with same year and mileage going for the same price, I'm seeing and '09 450 rwd hybrid with 100,000km going for $15k, an '08 350 awd 225,000km for $13k, a 2010 350 rwd 209,000km for $11k and so on.

The best time to buy was during the pandemic. Unfortunately for buyers, the market for vehicles and homes is through-the-roof at the moment. For the sellers, they have struck gold. If you are patient, you will find good deals, but if time is of the essence, you should expect to pay above book value.
Old 09-07-21, 07:05 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

You forgot to mention you were in Canada, so add a 30% premium to the price when comparing .

Mine has 145k, runs great. See if you can get service history.

I do brakes on mine. straightforward. Only difficult repair work would be any electronics, but they are fairly robust if they haven't been screwed around with.

Last edited by GregCanada; 09-07-21 at 07:17 AM.
Ahmed07 (09-07-21)
Old 09-07-21, 04:27 PM
Ahmed07
Driver School Candidate

Would you say it's reasonable to assume it could go another 100,000km to 275 and up?
Old 09-07-21, 08:10 PM
zheka130
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Would you say it's reasonable to assume it could go another 100,000km to 275 and up?
I live in Toronto and in June I bought a 2013 GS 350 F sport for $20K, with 150K kms.
I came from a RWD BMW, which has been great, but I know how unreliable newer BMWs are, which is why I didn't go for one.
Generally, AWD systems add complexity and weight, which is why I wanted a RWD car. You are right, most are AWD.
If this was a 2013 German car, I'd say stay away. Being a Lexus, I am expecting it to do many trouble free miles. If it was taken care of, 175K isn't much. "If" is the biggest question though.
Old 09-08-21, 07:13 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

As long as it's well maintained, and you keep up with maintenance, it will likely go to 400k +. Parts will wear our and need to be replaced once you get higher mileage (bushings, ball joints, alternator/starter, etc.) but the main parts of the vehicle (engine/tranny) will be fine as long as you do your maintenance.

Also, it's good to get your vehicle undersprayed to keep rust at bay.
Old 09-08-21, 09:40 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Considering the high prices of used cars now I would hold off on the purchase until prices go down, your Maxima maybe annoying you with the problems but I assume it is still paid for and spending all that extra on a used GS right now likely won't work out to saving any money unless it is something major on your Maxima.
Old 09-11-21, 05:19 AM
Ahmed07
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UDel
Considering the high prices of used cars now I would hold off on the purchase until prices go down, your Maxima maybe annoying you with the problems but I assume it is still paid for and spending all that extra on a used GS right now likely won't work out to saving any money unless it is something major on your Maxima.
I hear ya. But I don't know how long the market will stay like this and I'm in a bit of a hurry
I'm hoping to get a new car before winter (fingers crossed). Maybe I'll look for something a little pricier with less kms. At least I'll have more confidence with it.
Old 09-11-21, 07:28 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 400 Likes on 283 Posts

I hear ya. But I don't know how long the market will stay like this and I'm in a bit of a hurry
I'm hoping to get a new car before winter (fingers crossed). Maybe I'll look for something a little pricier with less kms. At least I'll have more confidence with it.
I don't know where you live or when the bad weather approaches but an AWD vehicle in a northern area will not get cheaper as that time approaches. I'd say you have another month, probably around Halloween before you need to have something lined up.
Ahmed07 (09-11-21)
Old 09-11-21, 02:09 PM
MGs350
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in the west coast and for the price I paid a few years back for a '15 RWD was the same for an AWD in the east or Midwest. Am now needing to replace my car and running into the same issue where the car is I feel overpriced due to discontinued GS and general pandemic shortage causing increased rates.. I will say mine had about 100k miles and ran like a champ!
Old 09-11-21, 02:20 PM
Ahmed07
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MGs350
where the car is I feel overpriced due to discontinued GS
Yea that was one of the things I was wondering. Should the cancellation be a factor in my decision making?
Old 09-11-21, 03:21 PM
MGs350
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea that was one of the things I was wondering. Should the cancellation be a factor in my decision making?
What about it being discontinued concerns you? Availability of parts or factory bumpers, fenders, doors and whatnot? Mechanical items will always be available in my opinion and insurances often use recycled body replacements anyways.

Quick Reply: Is AWD Drive On GS350 Reliable And Repair Friendly?