GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Backorder Tire Replacements? Michellin

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-21 | 02:47 PM
NatGen
Rookie

Default Backorder Tire Replacements? Michellin

I have Michelin Primacy MXM4s and recently two were destroyed from stupid construction at work (metal). Covered with road hazard warranty but discount tire says the tires are on backorder. Any other suggestions on what would be similar to the Michelin's?
I had Pirellis Cinturato's and thought they were horrible (way too much road noise, not sure what happened there).

I like the smooth plush ride MXM4s provide, so similar performance.
Old 09-11-21 | 04:02 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Do you have a Michelin MSPN #? Covid messed up a lot of production but some of the Michelin lines were replaced. Also where are you from? What’s the tread depth or percentage on the 2 your leaving on. Is the vehicle all wheel drive?
Old 09-11-21 | 05:28 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Not sure what your tire size is but the standard 18" size for most 4GS in Primacy MXM4 is available at Tirerack:

Last edited by bb700092; 09-11-21 at 05:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NatGen (09-14-21)
Old 09-11-21 | 10:23 PM
baconRx
Instructor

i ran into the same issue earlier this year for my rears. i have the as 3+ up front and now i have continential dws06+ in the rear because thats what they could get the quickest. i'll switch to dws06+ up front at some point as well since they make those in a wide variety of sizes
Old 09-12-21 | 12:13 AM
USMC84
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NatGen
I have Michelin Primacy MXM4s and recently two were destroyed from stupid construction at work (metal). Covered with road hazard warranty but discount tire says the tires are on backorder. Any other suggestions on what would be similar to the Michelin's?
I had Pirellis Cinturato's and thought they were horrible (way too much road noise, not sure what happened there).

I use Cont. Conti Touring DSW06, suburb
Old 09-14-21 | 05:06 PM
NatGen
Rookie

Thanks everyone for the input. Gathering up the info pretty much the Continental tire’s are same quality compared to the Michelin primacy. I have the 18inch luxury wheels. I wish they had them!! I love them, lol
Old 09-14-21 | 05:08 PM
NatGen
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexo98
Do you have a Michelin MSPN #? Covid messed up a lot of production but some of the Michelin lines were replaced. Also where are you from? What’s the tread depth or percentage on the 2 your leaving on. Is the vehicle all wheel drive?
I don’t have the MSPN but I had them installed in 2019? Prior to covid. I’m in Michigan and I have about 5/32, so pretty close to needing to replace them all soon. I have AWD, so replacing two out of the four isn’t the most ideal since the thread depth for the remaining old two would not be good for the AWD system. May end up changing all 4 tbh.
Old 09-14-21 | 07:48 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

I don’t have the MSPN but I had them installed in 2019? Prior to covid. I’m in Michigan and I have about 5/32, so pretty close to needing to replace them all soon. I have AWD, so replacing two out of the four isn’t the most ideal since the thread depth for the remaining old two would not be good for the AWD system. May end up changing all 4 tbh.
You should ask them what their policy is on AWD vehicles and their road hazard warranty. Especially since they cannot exactly match the other tires on the vehicle. Some companies will cover all the tires on the vehicle.
NatGen (09-15-21)
Old 09-15-21 | 08:19 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I have always run Michelins only. In the last few years I noticed Michelins just wear out way too fast for me now, regardless of the type except for the Defender which they don't make for the GS 18 & 19 size.

It was strange to me to see you say the Pirelli P& was noisy? I've switched back and fourth and the P7 may be more quite than the Michelins IMO. Are you comparing the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A+S Plus II?
NatGen (09-15-21)
Old 09-15-21 | 10:55 PM
NatGen
Rookie

Originally Posted by jgscott
I have always run Michelins only. In the last few years I noticed Michelins just wear out way too fast for me now, regardless of the type except for the Defender which they don't make for the GS 18 & 19 size.

It was strange to me to see you say the Pirelli P& was noisy? I've switched back and fourth and the P7 may be more quite than the Michelins IMO. Are you comparing the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A+S Plus II?

the Michelin’s do wear out way too fast. They provide a great ride though, but not sure if there’s another tire that delivers that plush ride with a longer lifecycle.

I’ve had the Pirelli cinturato strada A/S from discount tire and they were horrible in comparison to the Michelin’s. Maybe those are the wrong pirelli tires to get ?
Old 09-16-21 | 04:46 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

the Michelin’s do wear out way too fast. They provide a great ride though, but not sure if there’s another tire that delivers that plush ride with a longer lifecycle.

I’ve had the Pirelli cinturato strada A/S from discount tire and they were horrible in comparison to the Michelin’s. Maybe those are the wrong pirelli tires to get ?
Ok there's the problem. Try the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A+S Plus II. 70k Tread wear rating. No they wont last 70k, but will get up there x's 3 the Michelins. Whole different tire than the Strada.

I burned a set of Michelins on my ES350 in 1year 4 months they were at 4/32's with not many miles. I was shocked and that was it for Michelin for me, even though I like them. I notice the OEM Michelins that come new on the cars last a bit. But then when you buy a new set they wear extra fast.

It took me a min to switch for Michelins after all those years. But I'll tell you, get the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A+S Plus II and you will never look back. I also just obtain a New 9.5/32's set of the Continental. They were so hard and noisy I could not wait to get them off my car. They handel ok but nothing special and they wear really quick too.

Last edited by jgscott; 09-16-21 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-17-21 | 08:30 AM
NatGen
Rookie

Originally Posted by jgscott
Ok there's the problem. Try the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A+S Plus II. 70k Tread wear rating. No they wont last 70k, but will get up there x's 3 the Michelins. Whole different tire than the Strada.

I burned a set of Michelins on my ES350 in 1year 4 months they were at 4/32's with not many miles. I was shocked and that was it for Michelin for me, even though I like them. I notice the OEM Michelins that come new on the cars last a bit. But then when you buy a new set they wear extra fast.

It took me a min to switch for Michelins after all those years. But I'll tell you, get the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A+S Plus II and you will never look back. I also just obtain a New 9.5/32's set of the Continental. They were so hard and noisy I could not wait to get them off my car. They handel ok but nothing special and they wear really quick too.
That is pretty good to know, so thank you for correcting my knowledge not he Pirelli tires. As you've mentioned, the Michellin's are amazing tires, but do wear way too fast. The build logic and material must be different coming from the factory compared to purchasing off the shelf at Discount Tire, Tire Rack, etc.

So my ultimate question is.... Do the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A+S compare to the Michelin primacy MXM4s? I really want to enjoy the smooth and "floaty" ride. Thanks for your help and input.
Old 09-17-21 | 11:33 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

I have the Cinturato P& A/S Plus II on my 17 GS350 AWD. Been running them for about 11k miles so far and have had earlier versions on other previous Lexus (Es350).
They are absolutely very quiet tire. Only issue I've ever had with Pirelli in general is sometimes needed to "road force balance" them to get the balancing perfect.
You will not be disappointed.

NOTE: Alot of the new Michelins start out at like 9.5/32 tread depth from brand new which is ridiculous IMO. Appears they are made to wear out quick. In comparison Pirelli's are still made from 11/32.
Old 09-17-21 | 04:21 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
I have the Cinturato P& A/S Plus II on my 17 GS350 AWD. Been running them for about 11k miles so far and have had earlier versions on other previous Lexus (Es350).
They are absolutely very quiet tire. Only issue I've ever had with Pirelli in general is sometimes needed to "road force balance" them to get the balancing perfect.
You will not be disappointed.

NOTE: Alot of the new Michelins start out at like 9.5/32 tread depth from brand new which is ridiculous IMO. Appears they are made to wear out quick. In comparison Pirelli's are still made from 11/32.
Of late I have had multiple balance issues with both Pirelli, Michelin and others at some times shops. Come to find out some major tire retailers are cheaping out and not get the balance machines calibrated serviced as they should. Thus they ar sending the average consumer out with close balanced tires.

Also if I'm not mistaken I think the Pirelli P7 starts out at 12/32's not 11/32's, I think. Yes Michelins do start out at 9.5 and still wear really fast no matter how much you rotate or swap and balance.