GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Roaring Sound Inside Cabin

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-21, 10:33 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Sometimes a Lexus Whine is the Front Transmission pump going. Seems you don't think its the trans at all. Listening to the Vid also does not sound like the Lexus trans pump whine either. The Trans pump can throw you off noise wise and sometimes does not change with RPM or speed once it starts Whining. That some more roaring than whine noise?

I don't know if you have already done this, but I would drain and refill the diff and front transfer case fluid also. Listening to the recording it sounds like 100% drivetrain, front and/or transfer case, rear diff??? I did notice a little shake on the dash? Is that the car or just the recording device shaking? My guess is front transfer diff, or rear diff. This is strange, cause it also had the drive axel wheel bearing type noise also. ppl have already been replacing wheel bearing on these 4th Gen GS's. I think to nail it down you may have to lift the car, let someone put in gear carefully and accelerate to listen and pin point where its coming from.
I have changed the front and rear diff fluid when I first started noticing it. Not a lot of crud on the drain plug magnets and the fluid wasn't terrible.

Is there a separate transfer case fluid to drain and refill? I know on some it is part of the transmission and on some it is separate. I haven't looked into it but I don't think it has that. I will do that at the same time I check the transmission/transfer case mount. It is pretty much narrowed down to that at this point.

I've even tried my one-man detection method of driving through a covered underpass so that the echo off the concrete walls is amplified. You can't hear it from outside the car.
Old 10-05-21, 12:28 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
I have changed the front and rear diff fluid when I first started noticing it. Not a lot of crud on the drain plug magnets and the fluid wasn't terrible.

Is there a separate transfer case fluid to drain and refill? I know on some it is part of the transmission and on some it is separate. I haven't looked into it but I don't think it has that. I will do that at the same time I check the transmission/transfer case mount. It is pretty much narrowed down to that at this point.

I've even tried my one-man detection method of driving through a covered underpass so that the echo off the concrete walls is amplified. You can't hear it from outside the car.
Oh ok. No I don't think there is another to drain and fill. Did not know you already did.

You don't think its a wheel bearing?
Old 10-05-21, 01:22 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by jgscott
Oh ok. No I don't think there is another to drain and fill. Did not know you already did.

You don't think its a wheel bearing?
Not so far. Got a buddy coming over Friday or Saturday and we'll see what we can tell on the lift.
Old 10-09-21, 12:15 AM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Not so far. Got a buddy coming over Friday or Saturday and we'll see what we can tell on the lift.
Have you had the chance to check it out more in depth?
Old 10-09-21, 06:31 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by GSJ350
Have you had the chance to check it out more in depth?
Not yet. Hoping to get to it today.
Old 10-09-21, 08:18 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

My guess is wheel bearing and/or something like that or brake noise, likely I am wrong though. Let us know.
Old 11-09-21, 02:03 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

OK, got the car on the lift, turned off traction control and ran it up to 40MPH and I can still hear the growl though it is different being a few feet in the air.

I have two problems I need to solve to further diagnose the issue.

1) The cruise will not work if the traction control is off
2) You must push it into neutral to stop the tires because the ABS still works and the tires won't stop turning at full brake pedal.

I haven't had my usual car working buddy around lately so I may see if I can get my wife to get in the car on the lift and have her run it up to speed so I can VERY CAREFULLY listen for the noise.

Old 11-10-21, 06:08 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Finally got my wife to run it to 35MPH on the lift. Without a load, I couldn't get the noise to be produced.

At this point, I guess I keep driving it until it either gets worse or fails. We all know it won't go away on its own.
Old 06-07-22, 07:59 AM
spineman
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Finally got my wife to run it to 35MPH on the lift. Without a load, I couldn't get the noise to be produced.

At this point, I guess I keep driving it until it either gets worse or fails. We all know it won't go away on its own.
I have the same exact issue happening with my 450h only RWD tho. I have had two mechanics tell me it wasn't a wheel bearing, but it has to be. They said it was tires, I have rotated them completely around and had them road force balanced. No change, plus I only have about 4k on the new Conti's. I'll be changing the right front first as that is where it seems to be coming from, but I can't really tell. Sound starts at 20 mph and continues to increase with speed. Left right turning yields no difference.

Any new developments?
Old 06-07-22, 09:54 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by spineman
I have the same exact issue happening with my 450h only RWD tho. I have had two mechanics tell me it wasn't a wheel bearing, but it has to be. They said it was tires, I have rotated them completely around and had them road force balanced. No change, plus I only have about 4k on the new Conti's. I'll be changing the right front first as that is where it seems to be coming from, but I can't really tell. Sound starts at 20 mph and continues to increase with speed. Left right turning yields no difference.

Any new developments?
Yep, I replaced the left rear wheel bearing... twice because I screwed up the first one by not getting the dust shield back in place. Which took out the ABS sensor on top of the wheel bearing and the dust shield. The whole sad story is in my wheel bearing thread.
The following users liked this post:
spineman (06-07-22)
Old 06-07-22, 10:28 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I see u scraped ur front bumper too!
Old 06-07-22, 11:11 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I see u scraped ur front bumper too!
I think that was long before I bought it. I've since touched it up a bit to camouflaged it better.
Old 06-07-22, 11:20 AM
spineman
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I found your write-up. Thank you! How did you figure out which one it was?
Old 06-07-22, 01:16 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Lexus are built so tight and quite. They have proven sound barriers and deaden type everywhere. A wheel bearing noise just sounds different in them. That's why many miss that it is a wheel bearing noise.

I saw some interior noise test a few years back. The 4th Gen GS classed, rank #3 out of lots of other cars.
Old 06-07-22, 05:45 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by spineman
I found your write-up. Thank you! How did you figure out which one it was?
I rode in the back decided it was the same one I'd already replaced. a few years earlier with one off of Amazon. It worked for 11,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Roaring Sound Inside Cabin