GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rear Crash

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-21, 08:15 AM
Robertcave
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Rear Crash

Looks like someone as reversed into back of my car I have slight dent on RH side only slight dint but it looks like in the trunk entrance the bumper cover seems to be away from the body and is a little loose
Q1 is there replaceable clips there can they be replaced
Q2 is it a DIY job to take of the Bumper or is it a Body shop Job
TIA
Robert
Old 09-29-21, 09:12 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,631 Posts

I presume you have insurance and pay a premium regularly. Why wouldn't you have your insurance take care of the repairs? That is one of the primary reasons you have insurance and why you pay a premium for it!
Old 09-29-21, 10:48 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Pics of damage. If it's just a dent in the metal and paint isn't damaged PDR can take care of that. Probably some broken clips, you would only know exactly whats damaged when the bumper is removed.

The following users liked this post:
NJLEXES (09-29-21)
Old 09-29-21, 05:11 PM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I presume you have insurance and pay a premium regularly. Why wouldn't you have your insurance take care of the repairs? That is one of the primary reasons you have insurance and why you pay a premium for it!
Well also having insurance requires you to pay a deductible, so if he doesn't have the other persons insurance "assuming not" he would have to claim it on his. So just going off the minimal damage that he explained, if his deductible was like mine $1000 it wouldnt seem cost effective to go that route. if it was around $250.... i would say use your insurance but that could also increase your premium's so 🤷🏻‍♂️🤔.
Old 09-29-21, 11:54 PM
Robertcave
Pit Crew

yes i have to pay the first £400 of any claim i do have my NCB protected but usually a claim drops you 10% of your No Claim Bonus so its 400 plus losing 10 % of your premium
Insurance Dealers here in UK are crafty it makes you try and get it done yourself so it doesnt cost

I will get pic of damage but as i said its only been clipped the damage to the cover is hardly noticeable but it must have sprung or damaged clips in centre of boot but damage is near right side of car it may have been done a while and i had not noticed it till i was cleanig car.
I will bite bullet and take it to our local body shop I was just curious if the Cover was difficult to get off as when you go to some places they suck through their teeth Saying " mmm May be difficult it will be 500 notes "
Thanks all the same for your replies

Im2bz2p345 (09-30-21)
Old 09-30-21, 02:59 AM
Robertcave
Pit Crew

These are the pics The dint is a bit hard to see but its there and the paint on the top of bumper is cracked it may even be the bumper itself and the bumper is away from boot latch and loose at this point
I suspect its been hit from side at an angle like a glancing smackl i suppose i can live with the slight dint but its the bumper thats Loose
However i hav e nipped over to the body shop and he as Quoted £200 to fix it repaint the damage and refit the bumper correctly
Im2bz2p345 (09-30-21)
Old 09-30-21, 12:16 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Robertcave

These are the pics The dint is a bit hard to see but its there and the paint on the top of bumper is cracked it may even be the bumper itself and the bumper is away from boot latch and loose at this point
I suspect its been hit from side at an angle like a glancing smackl i suppose i can live with the slight dint but its the bumper thats Loose
However i hav e nipped over to the body shop and he as Quoted £200 to fix it repaint the damage and refit the bumper correctly
£200 to repaint/fix the damaged area on a 3 stage paint and refit the bumper sounds too good to be true.
Old 10-09-21, 12:57 AM
Robertcave
Pit Crew

I got the Rear Bumper sorted but to my horror the Bodyman found that it had a previous shunt and the slam panel was bent in middle not allowing the clips to engage so he took it off Repaired Slight dint(that had nothing to do with the damage to the panel) repainted it and all is well but the bill was £360 but its right now so happy about that. I am thinking it may have a checkered past as the guy showed me a repair on front bumper that had been repaired badly in his opinion as the paint was not quite right I had never noticed it until he pointed it out. His conclusion was ( he thought) it may have been hit in back and shunted into something in front.
I have only had the car since May of this year and i bought it from a Lexus Dealer and i asked the Salesman at least three times if it had had any repairs done from any accidents and he catagoricaly said NO. So he is telling me Porkies (Lies) so i have sent a strongly worded Complaint to Lexus UK as they do keep Franchises in check if complaints made

Old 10-09-21, 09:21 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 330 Likes on 208 Posts

Go easy, if you car was not CPO they might not have picked up the repair and the damage was hidden well. The salesman was going off printed reports of the cars history. Did you see a Car Fax or similar report that showed damage? Salesman know little about the cars they sell. In fact most used cars get bumpers sprayed over when resold so its quite possible there was no damage hidden. You were happy when you bought the car after you looked it over.
As for the rear, the damage was was from the hit? If so, thats under your ownership.
Lets be real, did your repair person jack up your bill and verbally threw the dealer under the bus to hide the fact he did a repair not really needed and made himself look like a hero in the process? Mabye? Maybe not? In the end sometimes you win, or lose. Im not saying your complaint is without merit, but sometimes we go off when the facts are cloudy.
Old 10-09-21, 10:26 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,631 Posts

CPO doesn't mean the vehicle hasn't been damaged to some extent. I believe damage can involve front and rear and up to three body panels. It's very common for bumpers to have been damaged and be repaired/painted, or the front bumper prepped and repainted if heavily pitted. Basically a CPO vehicle is a used vehicle that has been checked to certify that all options and features of the vehicle work. CPO vehicles usually have the most recent recommended service performed and new tires and alignment if needed. Oftentimes wheel damage, minor ding/dent/scratch body damage, and interior damage like minor worn marks/tears and scuffs/scratches in the seats are fixed. Things like the plastic instrument cluster and NAV screen can have scratches. It's still a used vehicle! The very best CPO vehicles are usually returned lease vehicles with low mileage that have been garaged and seldom driven much by professionals. Those will not only be the best and most sought-after CPO vehicles, but likely the most expensive ones too.

The absolute worst CPO vehicles are the ones previously used by dog owners, smokers and young, immature people that have not treated the vehicle with much care (e.g. street or drag/track racing, street drifting, donuts/brodies) or have modified the vehicle in some way (e.g. suspension, engine components, lights, electronic equipment, etc.) and [supposedly] restored it back to stock before turning it in to the dealer.

Last edited by bclexus; 10-09-21 at 12:17 PM.