GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

audio upgrades: amp replacement possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-21, 01:08 PM
az350gs
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default audio upgrades: amp replacement possible?

Hello All,
I am doing a little bit of audio upgrades on my 2015 GS350, premium audio w/NAV that I recently acquired. Love the car, but the tweeters were distorting terribly and hurting my precious audiophile ears

I ended up with some AudioFrog GS42 in the dash that I had to hack away at the left/right mount areas a little to get this big boy to fit, and it just *barely* does, but wow this is a fantastic speaker.

With the tweeter problem solved my next upgrade I am looking at is a newer amp and I've been reading about various models, and one particular one looks really interesting. MiniDSP Harmony 8x12 with Dirac Live. It takes their excellent minidsp 8x12 unit and adds a 12 channel 40wpc amp, which I think is probably sufficient for my needs. I'm a big fan of minidsp products in my home theater, so this unit looks really attractive to me.

One thing I am not sure of, is if there is a way to completely retire the stock amp and remove it from the system. The Harmony unit has enough channels to drive all speaker channels (dash left, dash center, dash right, front left door woofer, front right door woofer, combined rear left door woofer/tweeter, combined rear right door woofer/tweeter, and sub) so if there is a wiring harness or some way to bypass and remove the stock amp and replace it with the Harmony I would be greatly interested in doing that.

I'm trying to keep the sound system as functional as stock as possible, just replace components with better versions. Would appreciate any guidance anyone can contribute.
Thanks!

Last edited by az350gs; 10-07-21 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-07-21, 05:46 PM
GSJ350
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Ive thought about doing the same at some point, but ive ended up at the same question your asking. In all previous cars ive had (2004 and older) its just been a remove and replace kind of thing. But with newer generation hardware like ours, im not sure if its a full duplex or half duplex system in which everything communicates with each other or a "CAN bus" system. Hopefully others will chime in with answers👍🏻... Instead of this useless comment i just wrote.
Old 10-07-21, 07:55 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

I believe there's a digital signal for the audio and can signals for the control of the amp. I believe mini-dsp has the correct digital to analog converter, but you will not be able to control the volume. I looked for a way to use my antique amps with mini-dsp. I put that project on hold as I dream up a subwoofer solution.... bandpass is in the works
Old 10-08-21, 10:49 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,367 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Very possible. You do a line level converter ie. Audio Controls. Here is a example of a detailed build with all the questions answered.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...dominance.html
Old 10-08-21, 12:10 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Here's another sub that may also prove useful:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-too-easy.html
Old 10-08-21, 09:24 PM
az350gs
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jgscott
Very possible. You do a line level converter ie. Audio Controls. Here is a example of a detailed build with all the questions answered.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...dominance.html
I've actually read this entire thread and about every other one I can seem to search for. It seems that line converters are necessary, which means the stock amp has to remain otherwise there is no signal to feed to another amp. I was hoping to remove the stock amp from the car completely and put a replacement amp in its place, with no net new equipment. Pop it in the same amp mount, super clean and factory level.
Old 10-08-21, 09:25 PM
az350gs
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 00goobs
I believe there's a digital signal for the audio and can signals for the control of the amp. I believe mini-dsp has the correct digital to analog converter, but you will not be able to control the volume. I looked for a way to use my antique amps with mini-dsp. I put that project on hold as I dream up a subwoofer solution.... bandpass is in the works
Not controlling the volume is a non starter for me. I have a hard requirement for factory level integration with all audio systems and controls working like it was from the factory.