GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Thinking about going to wider tires on Base '13 GS (235=>255)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-21, 09:48 AM
AnirudhA
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about going to wider tires on Base '13 GS (235=>255)

Just like the title says, I have a base RWD '13 GS350 which came with 235/40/R18 tires, nothing wrong with them but near the limit I notice the understeer as I drive my car hard (and not that many options in Tires when I was looking).

So I am thinking of going to 255/40/R18. I thought about going to 245 but I think I will get diminishing returns by such a small upgrade... SO I want to ask those of you who have put 255mm tires on their car from the 235R18 did. you experience any rubbing or fitment problems. ?? I just want to be sure before I pull the trigger. I know about the drawbacks of putting wider tires i.e. Odometer & Speedo running faster. but it's all about performance baby! lol

Also please share your pictures of this setup, I am sure the tires help fill out the frame of the car as well
Old 10-12-21, 10:40 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Most go to 245/45/18. I did when I had the 18" Lux wheels and did on my ES U/L also. The side wall is just slightly taller but the tire is wider. It rides better and handles better.
Old 10-12-21, 11:09 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Fatter tires add rotational mass, it might make the car grippier but overall slower times as it's taking away acceleration and making your brakes work harder. You might as well look for a grippier tire/compound before you start going to a wider tire.

Also, what makes you think you are "driving at the limit"? Are you tracking the GS?
Old 10-12-21, 12:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

The difference in times would show up if you were a Professional driver on a Track maybe 1/10, 2/10 maybe. In fact not knowing if the size was designed for the car for fuel economy.. vs 0-60 and 1/4 miles times? The difference in size and traction may even make the car faster with the bigger tire.

The brakes will notice no difference on the street. In fact it may aid in braking reducing the brakes effort. Have you compared the actual difference? I have. In fact you're talking close to the difference in height of a new like for like size,12/32's tread depth tires vs a worn down tread 4/32's tire. You would also be surprised if you look at the specs of the same size tires from tire make and type to tire make and type they can have varied measurement difference of the same exact size no less.
Old 10-12-21, 12:38 PM
er34
Instructor

Originally Posted by jgscott
The difference in times would show up if you were a Professional driver on a Track maybe 1/10, 2/10 maybe. In fact not knowing if the size was designed for the car for fuel economy.. vs 0-60 and 1/4 miles times? The difference in size and traction may even make the car faster with the bigger tire.

The brakes will notice no difference on the street. In fact it may aid in braking reducing the brakes effort. Have you compared the actual difference? I have. In fact you're talking close to the difference in height of a new like for like size,12/32's tread depth tires vs a worn down tread 4/32's tire. You would also be surprised if you look at the specs of the same size tires from tire make and type to tire make and type they can have varied measurement difference of the same exact size no less.
I haven't taken the GS to the track, but I once had a DC2 Type R I took to the track and 15" tires made a world's difference compared to 17"(same tire width) on the track due to significantly lower rotating mass - both acceleration and braking.

The GS isn't exactly a high torque car either, so wheel weight will be noticeable. It's fine for some fun, but let's be honest here, 3800lb dry weight is anything but a race car, and particularly not one meant to be driven "at the limit".

Also, tire compounds make a much bigger difference than that additional 20mm width... So that's where OP should focus first. He didn't even mention what tires he's got now..

Last edited by er34; 10-12-21 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-12-21, 03:22 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts

Also generally speaking going with a taller tire your going to get slower steering response and possibly the feeling of body roll. You would want to go with something like a 255/35 or 265/35 if the rims will handle that wide of a tire.
Old 10-12-21, 06:44 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by er34
I haven't taken the GS to the track, but I once had a DC2 Type R I took to the track and 15" tires made a world's difference compared to 17"(same tire width) on the track due to significantly lower rotating mass - both acceleration and braking.

The GS isn't exactly a high torque car either, so wheel weight will be noticeable. It's fine for some fun, but let's be honest here, 3800lb dry weight is anything but a race car, and particularly not one meant to be driven "at the limit".

Also, tire compounds make a much bigger difference than that additional 20mm width... So that's where OP should focus first. He didn't even mention what tires he's got now..
Major difference in 15" to 17". Not the subject here.
Old 10-12-21, 06:55 PM
er34
Instructor

Major difference in 15" to 17". Not the subject here.
We are talking about rotational mass from the wider tire having performance impact on acceleration and braking - it's the tradeoff and it's fact. I gave an example of that.

235 to 255 width, all else being equal will be no different. You are talking 2-3lb per corner most likely. How difficult is that to understand?
Old 10-13-21, 06:56 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AnirudhA
Just like the title says, I have a base RWD '13 GS350 which came with 235/40/R18 tires, nothing wrong with them but near the limit I notice the understeer as I drive my car hard (and not that many options in Tires when I was looking).

So I am thinking of going to 255/40/R18. I thought about going to 245 but I think I will get diminishing returns by such a small upgrade... SO I want to ask those of you who have put 255mm tires on their car from the 235R18 did. you experience any rubbing or fitment problems. ?? I just want to be sure before I pull the trigger. I know about the drawbacks of putting wider tires i.e. Odometer & Speedo running faster. but it's all about performance baby! lol

Also please share your pictures of this setup, I am sure the tires help fill out the frame of the car as well
See above.........

No. Actually I understand, that's why I directly addressed the points you mentioned. The op though, mentions nothing of what your concern is as stated above. No, if I may quote you - "rotational mass from the wider tire having performance impact on acceleration and braking" No - "2-3lb per corner most likely".

I myself am seeking experience info fitment wise on the widest tire for my GS with the 19" Stock staggered wheels from experience of those who have run them. Did you also notice that he has a 13 GS which also has a different geared Transmission, a different differential gearing, and different brakes than let say the 14 - 20 GS let alone different brakes on the Non F Sport. So my point is there are so many other variables. For example: those same wheel tires came on 14-20 GS's with all the different gear ratio variables already.

Furthermore Tire weight wise is going to vary by the make and model of the different tires out there alone. A Michelin 255/40/18 is not going to weight the same as a Kumo 255/40/18. That makes the 2-3 pounds irrelevant. I've had 5 different tire, and 2 different wheels sizes on my GS since I've owned it. I'm just giving my experience. I currently have a Set of Michelin Pilot Sports, Pirelli P7's, and Continental Extreme Sport Plus I alternate on my GS right now. I also have driven my 2 others friends 14 GS with 20" and one other with a 18 GS with extra wide 21" wheels. I can link you to his pics in the Tire wheel thread, along with mine and the 14 GS, all Wider Tires. With all those variables I drove recently and over years, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, after reading your info. lol!

Old 10-13-21, 07:16 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

For reference the 1st pic below here is my current Comfort set up on my GS. 245/40/19 Wider than stock on staggered Factory rims. The other 2 GS owners who have driven my car before and after both also agreed it rode way better, had better Traction and handled better than the Factory tire size when I ran the 235/40/18 Tires and 18" wheels. I also ran 245/45/18 too.

The 13 GS also has a better handling stiffer suspension strut and spring stock setup to start with. I switch around the 19" Staggered wheels to the Factory spec tires back and forth using the Continentals and Michelins and Pirelli's from time to time. Attached are 4 different variable I've run all different wheel size and tire size.

I also have the Tanabe Lowering springs and some wheel spacers. I just have not got around to installing them yet.

Last edited by jgscott; 10-13-21 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-13-21, 08:54 AM
er34
Instructor

See above.........

No. Actually I understand, that's why I directly addressed the points you mentioned. The op though, mentions nothing of what your concern is as stated above. No, if I may quote you - "rotational mass from the wider tire having performance impact on acceleration and braking" No - "2-3lb per corner most likely".

I myself am seeking experience info fitment wise on the widest tire for my GS with the 19" Stock staggered wheels from experience of those who have run them. Did you also notice that he has a 13 GS which also has a different geared Transmission, a different differential gearing, and different brakes than let say the 14 - 20 GS let alone different brakes on the Non F Sport. So my point is there are so many other variables. For example: those same wheel tires came on 14-20 GS's with all the different gear ratio variables already.

Furthermore Tire weight wise is going to vary by the make and model of the different tires out there alone. A Michelin 255/40/18 is not going to weight the same as a Kumo 255/40/18. That makes the 2-3 pounds irrelevant. I've had 5 different tire, and 2 different wheels sizes on my GS since I've owned it. I'm just giving my experience. I currently have a Set of Michelin Pilot Sports, Pirelli P7's, and Continental Extreme Sport Plus I alternate on my GS right now. I also have driven my 2 others friends 14 GS with 20" and one other with a 18 GS with extra wide 21" wheels. I can link you to his pics in the Tire wheel thread, along with mine and the 14 GS, all Wider Tires. With all those variables I drove recently and over years, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, after reading your info. lol!
TL;DR..

OP is not changing his transmission or gearing, so not sure the relevance of the 2013, 2014, 2018 MY differences..