GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

CCA for Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-21, 10:29 AM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default CCA for Battery

Would 700 CCA Group size 24 Interstate battery from Costco be the right specifications for my 2013? Are 700 CCA too much for the weather down south?
Old 10-18-21, 11:42 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default battery

Originally Posted by Neophyte2b
Would 700 CCA Group size 24 Interstate battery from Costco be the right specifications for my 2013? Are 700 CCA too much for the weather down south?
Make sure the battery physically fits the car. That's the tricky part.
Old 10-18-21, 11:44 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

If the battery fits and is at least the same or greater CCA as the original, then you'll have no problems.

I modified the battery tray in my 450h to fit a larger battery. In my case the 12v battery is in the trunk.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10637710

Last edited by peasodos; 10-18-21 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-19-21, 05:30 PM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

If I'm concerned about possibl issues that might occur after changing out the battery, can I use my battery tender during the replacement process? If so, would I just:

1) connect the red battery tender clamp to the positive lead and the black battery tender clamp to the negative lead and leave them on during the entire process
2) take out the old battery while being careful to not dislodge the battery tender clamps from the leads
3) install the new battery and place the leads back onto the proper battery posts
4) remove the battery tender clamps?

TIA
Old 10-19-21, 08:20 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

If I'm concerned about possibl issues that might occur after changing out the battery, can I use my battery tender during the replacement process? If so, would I just:

1) connect the red battery tender clamp to the positive lead and the black battery tender clamp to the negative lead and leave them on during the entire process
2) take out the old battery while being careful to not dislodge the battery tender clamps from the leads
3) install the new battery and place the leads back onto the proper battery posts

TIA
Turn the car off, let it sit for 5 minutes and disconnect the battery, negative first, then positive.
Install the battery, connect positive terminal first, then negative.
Your done.

Whatever your trying to do with the battery tender sounds like it's going to cause a problem.

Last edited by peasodos; 10-19-21 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-19-21, 09:16 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Turn the car off, let it sit for 5 minutes and disconnect the battery, negative first, then positive.
Install the battery, connect positive terminal first, then negative.
Your done.

Whatever your trying to do with the battery tender sounds like it's going to cause a problem and not safe.
--

What's "not safe" about using the battery tender? It keeps the electric flow going to the electronics on the car at a low voltage so there is no disconnect in the memory of various "memory items" that depend on a constant low flow of power. This way you avoid losing those settings. Sometimes full disconnect loses stuff, sometimes it doesn't.

--

Old 10-19-21, 09:32 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ronkelley
--

What's "not safe" about using the battery tender? It keeps the electric flow going to the electronics on the car at a low voltage so there is no disconnect in the memory of various "memory items" that depend on a constant low flow of power. This way you avoid losing those settings. Sometimes full disconnect loses stuff, sometimes it doesn't.

--
Changing the battery is a simple process, nothing that matters gets erased. Seat memory settings, reverse mirror settings, vehicle maintenance schedule in the head unit and the dash, all stay intact because it's saved to memory. You guys are making this more complicated than it is. if your so concerned about changing a battery get it done at the dealership or any local shop.

I've changed the battery on Honda's, Toyota's, Lexus, all the same procedure zero issues.

Last edited by peasodos; 10-19-21 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-19-21, 09:46 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

--

It's not hard to isolate battery cables when removed. They can be bent out of the way or lightly wrapped in a rag. I've read on this site a number of folks who have had irregularities in memory settings when disturbed by a disconnect. Maybe they were all delusional? Sometimes there is no problem, sometimes there is. On all my older vehicles I never have needed to do more than disconnect, switch battery, then connect. But newer electronics are more sensitive I guess.

The professionals I have observed usually use a small device they plug into the circuit plug under the dash (I don't remember what it's called). They plug it in as it keeps the flow of current while the cables are disconnected. I would use one except that for the rare occasion I need it, I just use the battery tender method.

--

Old 10-19-21, 10:01 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

--

It's not hard to isolate battery cables when removed. They can be bent out of the way or lightly wrapped in a rag. I've read on this site a number of folks who have had irregularities in memory settings when disturbed by a disconnect. Maybe they were all delusional? Sometimes there is no problem, sometimes there is. On all my older vehicles I never have needed to do more than disconnect, switch battery, then connect. But newer electronics are more sensitive I guess.

The professionals I have observed usually use a small device they plug into the circuit plug under the dash (I don't remember what it's called). They plug it in as it keeps the flow of current while the cables are disconnected. I would use one except that for the rare occasion I need it, I just use the battery tender method.

--
BMW and Mercedes complicate things, sensors on the terminals, programming the new battery to the car, Toyota/Lexus has kept it simple. I think the people they screw it up trow on the terminals at the same time or don't let the car fully power off. That's why I recommend letting the car sit for 5 minutes after turning it off before touching the battery. I guess if you do it your way you just have to be very careful with the terminals, wear rubber gloves, and cover the exposed wires so it doesn't touch metal.
Old 10-19-21, 10:03 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

--

I never wear gloves. Am I supposed to?

--
Old 10-19-21, 10:13 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

--

I never wear gloves. Am I supposed to?

--
I would if the wire is hot because of a battery tender. Otherwise the way I do it, there is no need for gloves.
Old 10-19-21, 10:28 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

--

The amount of volts coming from the positive side of the battery or tender going to a human body with dry hands and not touching anything else with bare skin will not get any shock at all. It may be possible to get a tingle if you touch both the positve and negative side of the charging source (either battery or charger) with wet hands, but it would not harm you. However, you would not be touching both terminals at the same time accidently as you would just disconnect one side first, put it aside, then do the other. Normally too, you would be wearing clothes that would be touching the fender and that alone would be more insulation than 12v would ever get through.

--
Old 10-20-21, 09:09 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

TIA
@Neophyte2b See this thread and my post here which may be helpful (i did not use a battery tender): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11044612
Old 10-20-21, 09:42 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

I would recommend keeping voltage on the car's electrical system when disconnecting and replacing the battery.

All you need is 9 volts supplied by a typical 9 volt battery (see images below). Plugging the 9 volt power source into the car's 12 volt cigarette lighter receptacle (located in the console) applies a parallel voltage to the car's electrical system, which is enough voltage to retain various memory settings when disconnecting the car's battery for replacement. However, since the cigarette lighter receptacle is 'switched' in the GS 350 it cannot be used to back-feed voltage to the car's electrical system unless the car's ignition remains On when the old battery is disconnected. Another version of this type of device plugs into the OBD port (see 2nd image below) which back-feeds voltage to the car's electric system via the OBD port, which would be the best to use instead of using the cigarette lighter receptacle.

Better safe, than sorry...

The problem with using most battery tenders is dealing with the tender's clamps or terminals - keeping them on the car's battery terminals as you remove the terminals from the old battery in preparation to remove it and replace it with a new battery.

These devices using a 9 volt battery clip attached to a male cigarette lighter plug or OBD plug is perfect for the job. I would recommend the OBD voltage delivery method...

Last edited by bclexus; 10-20-21 at 10:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (10-22-21)
Old 10-20-21, 06:59 PM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Thank you all for your recommendations. I appreciate it.