GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS-F LCA bushings installed on GS350

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-22, 07:30 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BMGS
Very nice! I took my bushings to a shop since I was doing the front springs, alignment and a few other things I wasn't in the mood to do myself. They said it was a pain and charged me for 3 hours of labor on this. I knew they were full of it since it seems fairly easy.
If i had a hoist and a shop, 45 minutes flat.

But... the AWD is easier than a RWD, which i assume you have. there are 2 nuts you have to deal with on the RWD. Still.. shouldn't take 3 hrs for someone competent.
Old 09-16-22, 07:30 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
So what's the main advantage of running the GS-F bushing ? What's the difference/advantage in the stock vs the GS F one??
There's a few points discussed in the earlier posts but the main one is that under hard braking or hitting bumps, the steering stays more stable and straight, more in control. It dosen't dart out unexpectedly. The IS crowd does it to help with positive camber tire wear as under steering load, the camber tends to go way positive and cause premature tire wear. Essentially its keeping the tire more stable during above-normal loads.

I went with the positive caster version in an attempt to tighten up the steering feel but I didn't experience much improvement. I may need to get the car to a dealer for a proper alignment to really see those effects but I'm still happy with the above mentioned benefits.
Old 09-16-22, 07:32 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCanada
If i had a hoist and a shop, 45 minutes flat.

But... the AWD is easier than a RWD, which i assume you have. there are 2 nuts you have to deal with on the RWD. Still.. shouldn't take 3 hrs for someone competent.
Yup, agreed!
Old 09-16-22, 07:35 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by robd88
Can these be removed and replaced while on the ramps with the suspension loaded? Or does it need to be jacked up (no suspension load) for removal and replacement, then torqued under load?
I tested this - the wheels need to be off the ground, in order to get the bolts to line up. If there is any load on them, you cant get the bushing in the right place.
Old 11-04-22, 06:26 AM
PhilC13
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

This is from a 2014 base model. Replaced these yesterday with the GS F bracket ( 0 offset).
Take a look at the depression/indent on both sides of this bracket. The bracket on the other side of car was the same.

Is this normal for a base model? Or are they just that worn out?

With the bracket on the ground, and holding in place with my feet, I put a metal dowel in the center hole and was able to move the bushing relatively easy.
Tried the same on new bushing and it would not budge.

Even with pressure from my thumb is was easy the press the bushing in on the old bracket.

Old 11-04-22, 07:24 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
So what's the main advantage of running the GS-F bushing ? What's the difference/advantage in the stock vs the GS F one??
Much higher durometer rubber, and there is a higher caster version for additional self-centering. I have the zero offset version, so my caster did not change(this was a mistake on my part, I ordered the wrong p/n) but the car is more stable under braking and sharper during mid-corner adjustments.

There are aftermarket versions which are designed around the high caster version, but they are made of polyurethane, so there may be additional NVH concerns. I am very happy with my GS-F bushings.
Old 11-04-22, 05:43 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilC13
This is from a 2014 base model. Replaced these yesterday with the GS F bracket ( 0 offset).
Take a look at the depression/indent on both sides of this bracket. The bracket on the other side of car was the same.

Is this normal for a base model? Or are they just that worn out?

With the bracket on the ground, and holding in place with my feet, I put a metal dowel in the center hole and was able to move the bushing relatively easy.
Tried the same on new bushing and it would not budge.

Even with pressure from my thumb is was easy the press the bushing in on the old bracket.

Those are definitely worn out. How's the test drive after changing them?
Old 11-05-22, 10:19 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

What are the signs of LCA bushings going bad? I wonder if my creaking noise is a sign of my LCA bushings going bad. It sounds like it's coming from that area.
Old 11-05-22, 11:23 AM
PhilC13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by er34
Those are definitely worn out. How's the test drive after changing them?
Steering has firmed up quite a bit. The overall feel of the car has certainly changed. It was great before the swap, now just that much better.

Going to have an alignment check soon. 6 months or so ago my Lexus dealer recommended an alignment (see pic) and I declined knowing I was going to replace these brackets
I am not well versed in this, what can anyone tell me about the brackets affecting alignment? Did the toe being off a tad warrant an alignment? Also, my steering wheel is off center ever so slightly.

Thanks

Old 11-05-22, 11:35 AM
PhilC13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
What are the signs of LCA bushings going bad? I wonder if my creaking noise is a sign of my LCA bushings going bad. It sounds like it's coming from that area.
If mine were making noise, I did not hear it.

I used to have an IS250 with inner tire wear. As you may know that was common with the IS. I replaced the brackets on the IS but did not keep it long enough to see if actually corrected the tire wear.

About a month ago I replaced the front pads and rotors on my GS. I noticed a few cracks in the bushing so I decided to replace. Very happy I did.

Old 11-06-22, 07:00 AM
NCGUY
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like a cool mod, I may consider if I do end up getting a GS.
Old 07-11-23, 01:57 PM
jakeh1221
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gsf bushing clunking

Hey ya’ll. I installed the gsf bushings on my awd 2015 gs350 f sport and I’m getting a ton of clunking from both sides. Over small bumps, when turning, when breaking and when accelerating from a stop.

Any ideas? I know these shouldn’t require any lubricant, but I’m starting to think otherwise.

Confirmed everything was installed correctly and torqued to spec.
Old 03-05-24, 01:47 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Loosen bolts, preload, then retorque and you should be good.
Old 06-02-24, 07:52 AM
goose300
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Planning on doing this shortly to my 13 AWD, have the bushings in hand but wanted to know if anyone had the exact torque specs for AWD? Earlier in the thread someone mentioned 111 ft-lbs for the center nut on the bushing itself, but not sure about the other 2 bolts.

I found this picture of a 3IS AWD torque specs:

Listed off the following in ft-lbs:
Centre nut (bushing): 83
Large bolt: 111
Smaller bolt 63

Can anyone confirm if the same numbers applies to the AWD GS models?
Old 07-01-24, 09:41 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts

Doing this tomorrow morning. Going with the OE ones. 2wd anyone have the correct torque specs?

Quick Reply: GS-F LCA bushings installed on GS350