GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Transmission Flash

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-21, 06:08 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jsch222
Interesting. I dont have the issue like you. The only time i have something close is if i brake hard and the car downshifts but i hit the gas mid shift.
It seems like your transmission is gearing down appropriately. Mine seems like it goes into neutral and takes its own time figuring out what gear it wants to be in when I step on the gas. Evidently I am giving it the returned throttle before it decides and it causes the car to jerk as if I have popped the clutch. The more throttle I give it the harder the jerk.
Old 11-08-21, 08:35 AM
00goobs
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Not sure if it was mentioned, but I would check the fluid level after driving a while to get everything up to temp. It won't hurt to go through the filling procedure to be sure the correct amount of transmission fluid is in there. Filling cold and filling hot does make a small difference, and human error is always a factor.

Every time I hear a delay in engagement, I suspect fluid level then work from there.
Old 11-08-21, 12:48 PM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 00goobs
Not sure if it was mentioned, but I would check the fluid level after driving a while to get everything up to temp. It won't hurt to go through the filling procedure to be sure the correct amount of transmission fluid is in there. Filling cold and filling hot does make a small difference, and human error is always a factor.

Every time I hear a delay in engagement, I suspect fluid level then work from there.
Much appreciated! Drove it about 30 miles and checked it. It looks good.

Thank you, everyone for these great ideas! If you have more please share.
Old 11-08-21, 03:23 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Give you my thoughts. Seems you said the Trans was just out of a shop on repair? Rebuild after failure?

So you had the car for a min right? The million dollar question is.......... was the car doing this when the Trans was ok before the rebuild? If was not back to the Trans Shop that did the work I would go.

If it was doing this with the original Trans, before it was failing then it would be normal has it was right? The 8 speed Trans has had lots of complaints about this from many. Before I got my 13 6 speed I drove a few 8 speeds and passed up on them as I decided I could not live with that Trans doing that. I experience the neutral to downshift and gear braking and on slow turns on and off acceleration also on the 8 speed. I why I love my 6 speed.
Old 11-08-21, 03:26 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by 00goobs

Yes if low on fluid it would wind up gears like that and fail to function shifts properly. If fluid is good I would look to clutches and/or stall converter.
The following users liked this post:
maiahsdad (11-09-21)