GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Transmission Flash

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-21, 06:02 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transmission Flash

Greetings, everyone. I am noticing that when I slow down to go over a speed bump, or any other time I slow down to less than about 7mph and then hit the throttle again, it feels like the car has been in neutral and I popped the clutch. So much so that if I press on the throttle enough the car will actually jerk. Is this normal? Just got the car back from having the transmission replaced.
The following users liked this post:
Shello (11-02-21)
Old 11-01-21, 06:29 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

The only question I would have is do you get the jerking motion regardless of how hard you press the throttle after slowing down? Not absolutely sure, but I would venture to guess the transmission may still be "re-learning" your driving style if you're pressing the gas pedal hard. See if the behavior subsides after a few days. If it doesn't, bring it back to the place that installed the new tranny and have them evaluate the issue.
maiahsdad (11-01-21)
Old 11-01-21, 06:30 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 402 Likes on 284 Posts

While I can't say for sure, it sounds like the transmission is in a higher gear and you are punching it enough to force a downshift. Try it in ECO, Normal and Sport modes to see if there is a difference. That will possibly tell you the transmission isn't doing anything wrong but the computer doesn't expect what you are doing. Sport should hold gears a little longer than ECO or Normal modes.
maiahsdad (11-01-21)
Old 11-01-21, 06:52 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
While I can't say for sure, it sounds like the transmission is in a higher gear and you are punching it enough to force a downshift. Try it in ECO, Normal and Sport modes to see if there is a difference. That will possibly tell you the transmission isn't doing anything wrong but the computer doesn't expect what you are doing. Sport should hold gears a little longer than ECO or Normal modes.
It feels like I have mashed in the clutch until I go over the speed bump and then I pop the clutch. And sometimes it will knock all the way down the first year if I am beneath 10 mph to cause a jerking sensation as well. But I'm not punching it. Thanks for this feedback.
Old 11-01-21, 06:55 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
The only question I would have is do you get the jerking motion regardless of how hard you press the throttle after slowing down?
It doesn't jerk if I wait until I feel the transmission catch up so-to-speak, then I press the pedal. It's like I'm waiting for it to get in gear so I don't ****** it. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-01-21, 09:25 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 402 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by maiahsdad
It feels like I have mashed in the clutch until I go over the speed bump and then I pop the clutch. And sometimes it will knock all the way down the first year if I am beneath 10 mph to cause a jerking sensation as well. But I'm not punching it. Thanks for this feedback.
Perhaps the transmission computer needs to acquire some more data. I'll see what mine does next time I hit a speed bump. I'll try to replicate. What speed are you going immediately before the speed bump and what speed do you cross it before accelerating?
Old 11-01-21, 08:20 PM
SlyX
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Clublexus. New to the forum. I have the same issue with my 2020 gs 350 fsport with only 14K miles. It's not as noticeable in ECO, but it's still there.
Old 11-01-21, 09:06 PM
initial
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I've had this issue in my Infiniti and now my Lexus. It's just that the computer doesnt expect you to tap the gas at the last second. I'll slow down and it feels like the car is about to drop a gear, then I gently tap the gas and it catches the gear. The car is getting ready to drop the gear, but then you tap the gas at the right time so it will catch itself instead. Sometimes this happens and sometimes it doesnt. I'll roll slow enough to where it wont go down to second, then tap the gas and no jerking; but that means im rolling through a stop sign lol.
Old 11-07-21, 05:37 PM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by initial
I've had this issue in my Infiniti and now my Lexus. It's just that the computer doesnt expect you to tap the gas at the last second. I'll slow down and it feels like the car is about to drop a gear, then I gently tap the gas and it catches the gear. The car is getting ready to drop the gear, but then you tap the gas at the right time so it will catch itself instead. Sometimes this happens and sometimes it doesnt. I'll roll slow enough to where it wont go down to second, then tap the gas and no jerking; but that means im rolling through a stop sign lol.
That's it exactly! Is there any kind of a transmission flash or something that will allow the car to kick down all of the time? In my Cadillac STS, you can hear it noticeably when you are slowing down. I think in sport mode, if I'm at full throttle,, and then slow down I can notice my car ticking down. I wish it would do that all of the time. Does anybody know if it's possible? When I'm going over a speed bop it forgets to kick down fast enough. I think that's what I've been trying to say.
Old 11-07-21, 06:15 PM
CLuser
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

why not just use one of the paddle shifters to reach your desired gear?
Old 11-07-21, 06:50 PM
initial
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by maiahsdad
That's it exactly! Is there any kind of a transmission flash or something that will allow the car to kick down all of the time? In my Cadillac STS, you can hear it noticeably when you are slowing down. I think in sport mode, if I'm at full throttle,, and then slow down I can notice my car ticking down. I wish it would do that all of the time. Does anybody know if it's possible? When I'm going over a speed bop it forgets to kick down fast enough. I think that's what I've been trying to say.
There may be a tune/transmission flash, but I'm not too familiar with Lexus tunes. The Infiniti community it was well know for the G37 to have this transmission shenanigans, so there are tunes readily available for purchase online.
Old 11-08-21, 12:59 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CLuser
why not just use one of the paddle shifters to reach your desired gear?
I've never used them for routine driving. I feel it should kick down automatically like my other cars. But I see your point.
Old 11-08-21, 03:29 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 276 Likes on 168 Posts

Do you have the 8 speed or 6 speed? I don’t have the issue in my 6 speed but what you are describing is common in the 8 speed. I even get the same as you described in my LX. More gears. More gear hunting.
Old 11-08-21, 04:52 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jsch222
Do you have the 8 speed or 6 speed? I don’t have the issue in my 6 speed but what you are describing is common in the 8 speed. I even get the same as you described in my LX. More gears. More gear hunting.
I have the 6 speed. I didn't know the 8 speed existed for my year. I have 8 2013 GS350 AWD. It's probably not in my profile either. My error.
Old 11-08-21, 05:17 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 276 Likes on 168 Posts

Interesting. I dont have the issue like you. The only time i have something close is if i brake hard and the car downshifts but i hit the gas mid shift.

Quick Reply: Transmission Flash