GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-21, 09:07 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 235 Posts
Default Rear brakes

2013 GS350 F Sport 85k miles. I already knew the rear pads were low and over the last few days I’ve heard a squeal come from the rear a couple of times. I’m being super lazy about doing the job so let’s hear some Club Lexus advice. I have new OEM rotors, pads and fitting kit. Would you install all the new parts or try to turn the existing rotors, or just slap on the pads and call it a day?
Old 11-08-21, 09:14 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I did my rear at 75k. Just the pad, no turning the rotors. If you installed brake pads before, there is nothing special about the gs. There are also lots of videos on YouTube. Gl!
Old 11-09-21, 01:29 AM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

ima just change out my rear rotor with new pads since it takes 85k miles to change the rear might as well put in new rotor
Old 11-09-21, 09:31 AM
Gr8
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Unless your rotors are warped and are causing pulsation when you hit the brakes, I will say just replace the pads and call it a day. Typically, the front rotors need replacement more frequently because they take the most abuse, rear ones can typically last over 100k miles, of course, depending on your driving style.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-21, 11:20 AM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr8
Unless your rotors are warped and are causing pulsation when you hit the brakes, I will say just replace the pads and call it a day. Typically, the front rotors need replacement more frequently because they take the most abuse, rear ones can typically last over 100k miles, of course, depending on your driving style.

Thanks.
I noticed on the CarFax that the front brake pads were replaced @ 11,000 miles as was the radio. Wonder why? As I’m 8,000 miles away from 50, I suppose changing all fluids front to rear would be wise. Maybe check the brake pads too. Tires look brand new, Conti Extreme Contacts. Never had Contis before.
Old 11-09-21, 12:09 PM
Gr8
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakerin
I noticed on the CarFax that the front brake pads were replaced @ 11,000 miles as was the radio. Wonder why? As I’m 8,000 miles away from 50, I suppose changing all fluids front to rear would be wise. Maybe check the brake pads too. Tires look brand new, Conti Extreme Contacts. Never had Contis before.
it could be that the break-in wasnt done properly, or the person heated them too much and then cooling them fast, causing them to warp. or, it could be that the original owner complained about the squeaking of the brakes, so Lexus may have done a one time replacement of the rotors. if it was done before Spring season, and in colder area, I bet brake squeak was the reason. My Lexus is at 52k miles and still on original pads and rotors, though my pads will need replacement by 55k, if not, by 60k for sure.

How are you liking the Contis so far?

Last edited by Gr8; 11-09-21 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-09-21, 12:32 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gr8
it could be that the break-in wasnt done properly, or the person heated them too much and the cooling them fast, causing the to warp. or, it could be that the original owner complained about the squeaking of the brakes, so Lexus may have done a one time change. if it was done before Spring season, and in colder area, I bet brake squeak was the reason. My Lexus is at 52k miles and still on original pads and rotors, though my pads will need replacement by 55k, if not, by 60k for sure.

How are you liking the Contis so far?
Haven't had much time to try them as it’s been raining since I got it home. They’ll get a workout soon though.

Last edited by Jakerin; 11-09-21 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-09-21, 01:45 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Assume you are not in a rust state, because rear rotors on a rust state GS need to be swapped every 30-50k. The pads are barely used and the rotors disintegrate.
Old 11-09-21, 04:27 PM
NickDangr
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

I'd look at the rotors and decide from there. I would either keep them if they looked good or replace them if they were worn. I don't turn rotors on modern cars. They are usually manufactured thin enough that they don't last well if you turn them.
The following users liked this post:
Jakerin (11-09-21)
Old 11-09-21, 05:33 PM
robd88
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Check the rear rotors condition. I had to replace mine because the inner surface of both the left and right rear rotors was a nice crusty rust. My opinion, if you are at 85k, I would just replace them.
Old 11-09-21, 05:35 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Originally Posted by robd88
Check the rear rotors condition. I had to replace mine because the inner surface of both the left and right rear rotors was a nice crusty rust. My opinion, if you are at 85k, I would just replace them.
42,202 is my mileage
Old 11-10-21, 06:35 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by robd88
Surface rust on the interior of the rotor is not a problem. They could soak in salt water for years and not have any impact on the braking because of rust in the fin area. It is only an appearance thing.

Having said that, if the rotors aren't deeply gouged/scored and the brake pedal doesn't surge, there is no reason to do anything but swap pads and inspect the calipers to make sure they slide. If one side of a set is worn, that could indicate a sticking/binding caliper.
thisguy_06 (11-10-21)
Old 11-10-21, 12:01 PM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Wasn't there a TSB for pads back in the day? Might be why they were replaced so soon.
Jakerin (11-10-21)
Old 11-11-21, 07:09 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
Surface rust on the interior of the rotor is not a problem. They could soak in salt water for years and not have any impact on the braking because of rust in the fin area. It is only an appearance thing.

Having said that, if the rotors aren't deeply gouged/scored and the brake pedal doesn't surge, there is no reason to do anything but swap pads and inspect the calipers to make sure they slide. If one side of a set is worn, that could indicate a sticking/binding caliper.
I think he means the inner portion of the rotor (aka which faces the car, not the wheel). They inside of rotors rust out on these cars prematurely.
Old 11-11-21, 07:27 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCanada
I think he means the inner portion of the rotor (aka which faces the car, not the wheel). They inside of rotors rust out on these cars prematurely.
I'd have to see a picture to clarify then.

Quick Reply: Rear brakes