GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Blackstone Labs Says Lifetime ATF Is Real

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-21, 08:39 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Can you please cite your source for this definition of lifetime? Thanks in advance!

I wonder why they just don't say, 100K miles instead?
I would like to see what happened if a group of Owners class actioned all these Manufactures who stated the lifetime Transmission claim, starting with the Trans manufactures facts that it should be serviced? lol!

Last edited by jgscott; 11-18-21 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-18-21, 08:42 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
The transmission is not sealed, you said so yourself there is a vent to allow for fluid expansion. If it was 100% sealed when warmed up fluid would be pushed out the axle seals. Sealed is code for you can't work on it, take it to the dealer.

Some transmissions (mainly CVTs) still have the dipstick tube but they replaced the dipstick with a plug and call it a sealed unit. You can go out and buy a dipstick to fit and check the fluid without a stupid, complicated process.
I said there is a vent but I do not know if there is a bellows, trap etc in it which would make it sealed. I guess it would be sealed as much as your brake fluid reservoir is sealed. It's to minimize water absorption by the fluid.

It's actually easier to replace the fluid on my IS (haven't done the GS yet) than any other automatic transmission I have done. It's very similar to replacing the fluid on a manual. Lexus hasn't adopted the ways of VW where you need special tools to do it.

Last edited by firelikeiy; 11-18-21 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-18-21, 10:22 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
There is no guarantee, but the car maker does provide a warranty. I don't think you will find a car maker to guarantee a major mechanical part - or any part for that matter - to last any specific time period beyond the warranty period.

Whether it is the 'bomb tested' engine or the proven tough transmission - you're simply not going to get your guarantee it will last x miles or x time beyond the warranty of x miles or x months, whichever occurs first. This is something you were obviously satisfied with when you made the decision to purchase the car! Nothing has changed in that detail, has it? . There are very few absolute guarantees in life with the one exception that you will one day die.
And how long exactly is that warranty? I think many people on this forum use their cars well past that warranty period and hence this debate. All of my GS' have well over 100k miles and one has over 250k miles. Do you not recommend changing the ATF in my case and just change the entire transmission when it finally gives?
Old 11-18-21, 04:36 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
And how long exactly is that warranty? I think many people on this forum use their cars well past that warranty period and hence this debate. All of my GS' have well over 100k miles and one has over 250k miles. Do you not recommend changing the ATF in my case and just change the entire transmission when it finally gives?
The answer to your question about 'how long exactly is the warranty' is in your Owners Manual.

It's very common for most all vehicles nowadays to be used (by either the original owner or a second/third/forth owner for ¼ million miles or more.

If you are not planning to keep the vehicle beyond [say] 150,000 or 200,000 miles, there is absolutely no need to waste time and money servicing something that you will not gain any benefit from whatsoever. That said, the likelihood that a transmission failure requiring some sort of repair will happen prior to clocking 150,000 or 200,000 miles of normal use is practically nonexistent. I'm personally not one that does unneeded service on something that provides no verifiable benefit or doesn't improve the performance or looks of it.

So, given the view that most every vehicle's transmission, regardless of vehicle brand, will be trouble-free well beyond the time when 97% of owners decide to trade it for another vehicle - it would be illogical and senselessly foolish to waste time and money servicing it. It would make about as much sense as me replacing the refrigerant in my three year-old Sub-Zero refrigerator that came with a 12 Year Sealed System Warranty. Why would anyone with an IQ higher than a gastropod want to do that?

Last edited by bclexus; 11-18-21 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-18-21, 05:21 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

This is good. 3 pages and counting. Pass me the popcorn!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by ItzFilyO:
Cal916 (11-18-21), Ranny48 (08-15-24)
Old 11-18-21, 07:40 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
This is good. 3 pages and counting. Pass me the popcorn!!!
Buttered or Cheddar? Cup, box or bag?

The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
Cal916 (11-18-21), ItzFilyO (11-18-21)
Old 11-19-21, 01:02 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Cup, box or bag?
MIcrowave bag, and if you don't burn your face when you open it you're not living!
The following users liked this post:
Ranny48 (08-15-24)
Old 11-19-21, 06:18 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

The answer to your question about 'how long exactly is the warranty' is in your Owners Manual.

It's very common for most all vehicles nowadays to be used (by either the original owner or a second/third/forth owner for ¼ million miles or more.

If you are not planning to keep the vehicle beyond [say] 150,000 or 200,000 miles, there is absolutely no need to waste time and money servicing something that you will not gain any benefit from whatsoever. That said, the likelihood that a transmission failure requiring some sort of repair will happen prior to clocking 150,000 or 200,000 miles of normal use is practically nonexistent. I'm personally not one that does unneeded service on something that provides no verifiable benefit or doesn't improve the performance or looks of it.

So, given the view that most every vehicle's transmission, regardless of vehicle brand, will be trouble-free well beyond the time when 97% of owners decide to trade it for another vehicle - it would be illogical and senselessly foolish to waste time and money servicing it. It would make about as much sense as me replacing the refrigerant in my three year-old Sub-Zero refrigerator that came with a 12 Year Sealed System Warranty. Why would anyone with an IQ higher than a gastropod want to do that?
Ok so lets get back to the very Title of your thread you started if I may quote you " Blackstone Labs Says Lifetime ATF Is Real ".

Many have provided info that says different. So that we don't confuse, its been accepted that you can just drive the car to a point without servicing the Trans and there is some unknow life before deterioration to failure of the Trans. That's a given and a unknown. You made the above statement but I just don't see anything other than the Lexus Lifetime claim that goes to substantiate it? So if you were in a different Country with your GS where Lexus says service would you say the same about the same exact Transmission? A few have asked in particular about the Lifetime explanation but........??????? Lots of info you posted above, but no info that real backs it up, at least IMO? Also you continue to reference the Refrig? Not sure why because as I 1st stated a few post ago, the Trans has a vent hole, in addition to clutches and other moving meatal parts, that a Refrig does not.

Let keep this mature and respectful as the not degrade the thread you started. Hard to ignore the Trans manufactures statements no? Keeping on track with the Blackstone topic I'll submit this borrowed from another thread here on CL. No popcorn needed. lol!

(Read Blackstone's Lifetime notes.) In case anyone misses it. There was a change at 73k and now 120k. Uncertain if there were any before 73k?

The following 2 users liked this post by jgscott:
Im2bz2p345 (11-19-21), Ranny48 (08-15-24)
Old 11-19-21, 06:32 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 402 Likes on 284 Posts

Perhaps we are missing the point here: Nothing lasts forever. Not even the pyramids. Have you seen the condition they are in?

First, the sealed bearings in the hubs don't last forever but they are basically unserviceable and must be replaced as a unit. I've replaced one and am doing it again (non OEM part the first time) but the original didn't last 60,000 miles though it exceeded the warranty time.

Second, the transmission will easily go 100k miles without service. Likely 95% will not have issues beyond 150K and at least half will outlive the car.

Third, if you chose to do transmission maintenance, there is little down side to it. I have yet to hear of anyone with transmission failure after servicing.

Finally, it's your car. Do what you want. We don't have to like it as long as you do. Slam it, jack it, camber it, tint it, black it out, chrome wrap it, whatever you desire but don't expect everyone else to give you accolades for your possibly Avant Garde style.
The following 2 users liked this post by Knucklebus:
bclexus (11-19-21), Im2bz2p345 (11-19-21)
Old 11-19-21, 06:52 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 553 Likes on 373 Posts

I prefer to take care of my cars regardless of how long I plan to keep them. I used Mobil1 motor oil and Honda CVT fluid on a leased 2013 Accord for 2 reasons. First, I was not sure if I would buy it at lease end, 2nd I wanted the next owner to get the best car possible. That's how I roll. You might be interested to know that people always want to purchase my cars because they know they have been taken care of.
Ranny48 (08-15-24)
Old 11-19-21, 07:03 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I prefer to take care of my cars regardless of how long I plan to keep them. I used Mobil1 motor oil and Honda CVT fluid on a leased 2013 Accord for 2 reasons. First, I was not sure if I would buy it at lease end, 2nd I wanted the next owner to get the best car possible. That's how I roll. You might be interested to know that people always want to purchase my cars because they know they have been taken care of.
People at my work always were interested when I was ready to trade vehicles as well. They knew they were well maintained and usually low mileage for the age. I also provided a spreadsheet with maintenance history. It pays off in higher sale prices.
Ranny48 (08-15-24)
Old 11-19-21, 12:49 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 553 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
People at my work always were interested when I was ready to trade vehicles as well. They knew they were well maintained and usually low mileage for the age. I also provided a spreadsheet with maintenance history. It pays off in higher sale prices.
I guess for me it is the satisfaction of a job well done; taking care of stuff. I have numerous people in my life that trust and depend on me including a great 95 year lady who was a neighbor years ago.
I have a bit of annecdotal evidence of regular, high quality service. I service 3 Acura TSXs, our 2006 and 2 friends 2007s.
1 - 2007 - Bought from local Mercedes dealership; was dealer serviced using maintenance minder. 140K now, uses maybe .5 quart between 5K services.
2 - 2007 - Sister bought new adter using ours. 85K. Quickie lube with semi syn by minder. Goes through closer to 1 qt between 5K changes.
3 - 2006 - We bought Dec '06 from local Acura dealer. 205K - Mostly M1 at 5K services. Doesn't burn a drop. This car is perfect. This pic is from a year ago... I would drive this car anywhere and not even check the oil level.

How did I do on the headlights?

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 11-19-21 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-19-21, 05:46 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know how many times I've traded in a car and offered all the service history - for all the records to be tossed in the trash by the dealer. An individual buyer may be somewhat interested in service records, but it's probably not going to add more than 5% to the sale price for most buyers. To be performing unnecessary service for the next owner is well, senseless.

Bottom line - do what you please and what makes you feel good and makes you happy. You're the one needlessly wasting time and money, but if it makes you feel good and makes you happy then do it twice as often- or thrice as often. Is there a point where you no longer do it? When is that point in time? Rational people want to know...
Old 11-19-21, 05:53 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

I don't know how many times I've traded in a car and offered all the service history - for all the records to be tossed in the trash by the dealer. An individual buyer may be somewhat interested in service records, but it's probably not going to add more than 5% to the sale price for most buyers. To be performing unnecessary service for the next owner is well, senseless.

Bottom line - do what you please and what makes you feel good and makes you happy. You're the one needlessly wasting time and money, but if it makes you feel good and makes you happy then do it twice as often- or thrice as often. Is there a point where you no longer do it? When is that point in time? Rational people want to know...
Well, I do all my own maintenance so the costs are minimal and the labor is pretty cheap. It could be argued washing and waxing a car is wasteful and uselessly spending time and money.

Life is an experiment. Nobody gets out alive.
Old 11-19-21, 08:55 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Your trolling ability is legendary.

Quick Reply: Blackstone Labs Says Lifetime ATF Is Real