GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus Transmission Drain and Fill Procedure document?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-21, 12:11 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by bearcav
This will be an unpopular opinion but I wouldn't bother with any of the temp checking, etc. This is how I do it on all my cars (Avalon, RX350, LS460 and my Cayenne which also has an Aisin trans. Also my VW's which use more complex DSG trans).
  • Jack the car up the night before you're going to do the work. Remove all the panels and crack open the WS fill plug and drain plugs, leave both in place. Get a case of WS fluid and leave it in the garage.
  • Next morning, remove the WS fill plug, remove the drain plug and remove the tube/inverse-dip-stick thing. Go make breakfast, let it all drain for like an hour.
  • Reinstall the tube/dip-stick thing (finger tight, not gorilla fingers either, little girly hands tight). Reinstall the drain plug, torqued correctly.
  • Measure how much oil you drained.
  • Put the same amount back into your car via pump or gravity. Pump is easier, just add like an 1/8th of a quart for all the fluid in the lines you won't pump into the trans.
  • Clear the WS plug, it has a rubber O-ring, lightly oil the O-ring and reinstall to correct torque. Its not a lot.
  • Done.
With the above procedure you don't need to worry about temps, elevation, angle, pitch, etc etc. You're draining used room-temp fluid for new room-temp fluid.

For folks that think temperature matters, I live in Phoenix and in the summer the trans fluid temp doesn't get below 130*F even if you leave the car parked for an entire day (ambient temp is like 114*F in the summer). Do you think the Toyota/Lexus dealership is legitimately doing your trans service in the middle of summer in Phoenix in 2 hours and getting the right temp? They're not.

These things aren't bespoke race-car transmissions and you don't have to be that precise.

Edit: I've gotten more fluid out of the trans if I only lift the front of the car. Lifting all 4 corners resulted in less drained.
If you're replacing exactly what you took out, you're not accounting for clutch wear. If you're adding 1/5 of a quart, you might be making up for the loss. But if you do this 5 times, you'll be a quart over the original amount. The AA80E in the F cars doesn't mind 4 ounces over fill, but it sure hates 4 ounces under fill - flares when cold, whines like an old power steering pump at low speeds, and generally doesn't work the way it does when it is properly filled. TBH, I add 4 ounces after setting the level according to the factory procedure to stave off the onset of flare, because it's the first indication the gearbox fluid level is low.

I have no idea how the dealer does this and couldn't care less. I do all my car maintenance myself. Supra, IS F, and GS F.
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (11-21-21)
Old 11-21-21, 07:35 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 526 Likes on 359 Posts

Will replacing what you removed work? Maybe yes, maybe no. But if you already have the car lifted and have the drain pan there, why not just set the level as well?
You can buy a cheapie themperature gun and point it at the oil pan.
Old 11-21-21, 10:54 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If you're replacing exactly what you took out, you're not accounting for clutch wear. If you're adding 1/5 of a quart, you might be making up for the loss. But if you do this 5 times, you'll be a quart over the original amount. The AA80E in the F cars doesn't mind 4 ounces over fill, but it sure hates 4 ounces under fill - flares when cold, whines like an old power steering pump at low speeds, and generally doesn't work the way it does when it is properly filled. TBH, I add 4 ounces after setting the level according to the factory procedure to stave off the onset of flare, because it's the first indication the gearbox fluid level is low.

I have no idea how the dealer does this and couldn't care less. I do all my car maintenance myself. Supra, IS F, and GS F.
Hey appreciate your post info. I also have thought about the capacity of the Trans fluid in the filter of the old one filled, vs the new one not filled. May not be much? I have my old filter and will fill it up and pour out to see how much it holds also. I did the same amount out same amount back in on my ES350 and GS350, but I wont ever do this again without measure. I own a Matco nice scan tool and Techstream so no worry about temperature checking.

At least this is some good documented info for someone who might google about doing this service, and keeps the thread topic from post derogation post.

The following users liked this post:
JeffKeryk (11-21-21)