GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Need help with my gs telescoping steering wheel! Can't move forward and back!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-21 | 12:04 AM
MJJ
6th Gear

Default Need help with my gs telescoping steering wheel! Can't move forward and back!

After doing transmission fluid change at local workshop. My steering wheel cannot do telescoping function (go foward and back) but the Tilt function (up and down) are fine. There are still motor-like sound when start and off the engine (like the motor is trying to put the steering go foward and back), like it should do for easy go in and out of the car.

If start tge engine, the "motor" sound will continue as it want to move the steering forwad. I stop the sound by moving the the telescopic steering control switch forward or back.

If off the engine, the sound will continue until the ODO meter is gone. I cant stop it by moving the telescopic steering control switch.

Anyone know what happen or experience this? Possible need battery change?

My Car is GS250 (2014).
Old 12-06-21 | 10:01 AM
Lead Lap

Sounds like someone damaged it. They are not known to have issues.
Old 12-06-21 | 02:59 PM
MJJ
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 703
Sounds like someone damaged it. They are not known to have issues.
I tot so. Hmmm..
Old 12-06-21 | 03:20 PM
MJJ
6th Gear

The workshop guy tell me, is about the "wire-ing connection or battery problem" after scaning the car.
Old 12-06-21 | 06:19 PM
00goobs
Intermediate

I believe the rear motor or the screw mechanism is damaged. If the motor is running and the steering wheel isn't moving in or out, there may be a damaged gear.
Old 12-06-21 | 09:41 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

They must have fought the steering wheel when it was retracting and likely damaged it or they somehow unplugged/dislodged a connection on the steering column. I would first check the connections going to the motors.
Old 12-08-21 | 09:56 PM
MJJ
6th Gear

Originally Posted by peasodos
They must have fought the steering wheel when it was retracting and likely damaged it or they somehow unplugged/dislodged a connection on the steering column. I would first check the connections going to the motors.
Any idea on how to do this?
Old 12-08-21 | 11:38 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MJJ
Any idea on how to do this?
Remove the foot well panel on the driver side, lay down, and look with a flash light or use a cellphone camera/flash light. It's held on by few exposed black phillips heads screws and a couple plastic tabs/clips.

The part I circled in red is the end the steering wheel is bolted too. The part I circled in yellow is the motor for the telescoping motion. You need to check the connection/plug on that motor. It should be down closer to the pedals on the steering column.

If you hear sound coming from that motor, then it might not be the electrical connection but some damage to the gearing/mechanism/motor itself. All the gearing/mechanical movements are metal, so it would take a lot to break it. That's why this failing on it's own is unheard of.

Last edited by peasodos; 12-08-21 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-11-21 | 05:07 AM
MJJ
6th Gear

Remove the foot well panel on the driver side, lay down, and look with a flash light or use a cellphone camera/flash light. It's held on by few exposed black phillips heads screws and a couple plastic tabs/clips.

The part I circled in red is the end the steering wheel is bolted too. The part I circled in yellow is the motor for the telescoping motion. You need to check the connection/plug on that motor. It should be down closer to the pedals on the steering column.

If you hear sound coming from that motor, then it might not be the electrical connection but some damage to the gearing/mechanism/motor itself. All the gearing/mechanical movements are metal, so it would take a lot to break it. That's why this failing on it's own is unheard of.

Okay will update on how it goes. Just abit nervous, might set-off the airbag down there.
Old 12-11-21 | 05:43 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MJJ
Okay will update on how it goes. Just abit nervous, might set-off the airbag down there.
airbags are on completely separate harness/system. So whatever you unplug under there has no effect.
Old 12-20-21 | 12:41 PM
MJJ
6th Gear

airbags are on completely separate harness/system. So whatever you unplug under there has no effect.

Only open this cover. Cant really see the motor, but there is a motor sound.

Old 12-20-21 | 02:16 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MJJ

Only open this cover. Cant really see the motor, but there is a motor sound.
You have to remove the cover you have hanging in the pic and that lower dash panel that has the knee airbag on it to see anything.
Old 12-20-21 | 03:06 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

OP - You are moving the steering wheel control on the steering wheel column to the right or left to move the steering wheel forward (in) or back (out), aren't you?

Moving the control on the steering column up and down moves the steering wheel up and down, not forward or back.
Old 12-21-21 | 08:17 AM
er34
Instructor

You probably had a big boy working on the car, the steering wheel probably gave his blubber a good kick before it gave up.
Old 12-23-21 | 05:58 AM
00goobs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by er34
You probably had a big boy working on the car, the steering wheel probably gave his blubber a good kick before it gave up.
I can and have seen that happen. Some people just don't care about other ppeep's property.

BTW, it is Christmas time. Smash and grab season. Leave valuables at home.....

Quick Reply: Need help with my gs telescoping steering wheel! Can't move forward and back!