GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS Cluster failing? My 2014 GS350 Odometer Isn't Recording Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-21, 09:03 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Glad you are happy and relieved of the stress. I know it was stressful buying a car then finding out about that problem.

I must say though a few things you were told sound fishy. It were me one day I would still take it to a Lexus service and ask them what they get off of the ECU mileage recorded reading. Sounds to me the guy you took it to is in bed with the Dealer that sent you to him. Also sound like that Speedometer Guy can set adjust and alter odometer mileage. Funny how the Dealer knows him and steered you to him?

As everyone has said here no one has heard of such a problem before and we have had lots of dead battery experience. Sounds like that odometer shop sets mileage for the Dealer. I dont by the Dealer or the Speedo shops story at all from them. I think others here are going to kinda say the same thing. The ECU didn't have the mileage but I altered the Display is hard to believe from the Speedo shop along with the other stories.

Last edited by jgscott; 12-16-21 at 09:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-16-21, 09:30 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

The Dealer didn't send me to the odometer shop, I found them myself, they have no relationship whatsoever, sorry if I implied that. I let the dealer know who I took the car to AFTER I took it there, explained the situation and the cost to fix it, they said get back to them and let them know the cost and they would cover it.

Yes, odometer shops for the most part can set a cluster to any mileage, but they won't since it is illegal.

I will try to take the car to Lexus one of these days and ask if they can pull the exact mileage from the ECU, odometer shop told me they weren't able to because of how the battery crashed the ECU and because of how mileage runs through the cluster (they have the same tools Lexus dealers use). Also, I think this is a little bit different from a dead battery experience. In this instance a battery that had a bad positive terminal was jumped and it messed with the ECU/electrical system, there is some information about this online I've seen.
Old 12-16-21, 10:08 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Originally Posted by greys0uled
The Dealer didn't send me to the odometer shop, I found them myself, they have no relationship whatsoever, sorry if I implied that. I let the dealer know who I took the car to AFTER I took it there, explained the situation and the cost to fix it, they said get back to them and let them know the cost and they would cover it.

Yes, odometer shops for the most part can set a cluster to any mileage, but they won't since it is illegal.

I will try to take the car to Lexus one of these days and ask if they can pull the exact mileage from the ECU, odometer shop told me they weren't able to because of how the battery crashed the ECU and because of how mileage runs through the cluster (they have the same tools Lexus dealers use). Also, I think this is a little bit different from a dead battery experience. In this instance a battery that had a bad positive terminal was jumped and it messed with the ECU/electrical system, there is some information about this online I've seen.
Yes now ok, apparently my confusion. That sounds better anyway. Yes I would still just want to know exactly what the ECU has if were me. Good luck, like I said earlier you have a nice GS it seems.

On the ECU mess up, I just never heard of a ECU short that only affected the Odom reading only is all?
Old 12-16-21, 11:40 PM
ViperTim
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

I was very curious to see the resolution of this and glad you got it sorted out.
You have the full story of the car, it’s nothing fishy.
Its just a bad case of **** luck.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (01-03-22)