GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

McGard Spare Wheel Lock Key

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-21, 07:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts
Lightbulb McGard Spare Wheel Lock Key

I suspect most 4GS owners have OE wheel locks on their wheels. You also should have received a McGard Wheel Lock ID card that has specialized identification numbers and colors for the specific wheel lock key that fits the wheel locks on your car. You only get one wheel lock key so you better remember exactly where it is in case you have a flat tire or you want to have your tires rotated. The last thing I want to have happen is to not know where the wheel lock key is. So, to be prepared I always buy a spare wheel lock key and matching wheel lock for my vehicles from McGard just to be sure.

Having just recently purchase a new car I just recently ordered a spare wheel lock key and matching wheel lock for my car's wheel locks, and I also ordered two of McGard's Wheel Lock Key pouches (image below), which is very convenient to keep the wheel lock key in. I keep one pouch with the wheel lock key in the rear seat fold down arm rest compartment and the other pouch in the center console. I don't want to have to unload a bunch of stuff from the trunk (e.g. golf bag, golf clubs, golf shoes, towels, caps, umbrellas, etc.).to look for the wheel lock key in the car's tire changing tools.

Wheel Lock Key

Here are some typical examples. The key is used with your lug wrench and is needed to remove and install wheel locks.

Wheel Locks

Here are some typical examples. McGard’s Wheel Lock functions like a regular lug nut on your wheel but requires a special key tool for installation and removal.

(Requires a special key for removal.)

Wheel Lock Key Storage Pouch

Don’t ever misplace your wheel lock key.Keep your key in this convenient nylon storage pouch. It’s great to have an extra key on hand!

Last edited by bclexus; 12-14-21 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-14-21, 08:38 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 235 Posts

Haven’t had to deal with replacing the Lexus Mcgard wheel lock key in a while, but Honda dealerships usually carry them in stock. They have maybe 10 different patterns and will try them on until they find the right one. I’ve been seeing more Lexus coming with the Gorilla locks. I prefer working with these. Too many mechanics over torque the McGards and the key eventually falls apart.
Old 12-14-21, 10:29 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

No locks on my ‘15.
Old 12-15-21, 05:56 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

The wheel locks are useless, you can just tap a 3/4" 12 point socket on it and take it off. Do yourself a favor and get rid of it. If you live in a place where people are stealing your stock wheels you have a bigger issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
Im2bz2p345 (12-15-21), jgscott (12-15-21)
Old 12-15-21, 07:35 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I'd guess that 98% of all Lexus owners retain the OE McGard wheel locks that came on their vehicle - accordingly, my point is - they must keep and not misplace their wheel lock key.
Old 12-15-21, 08:48 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Mine came with it and good idea on ordering the spare key!
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (12-15-21)
Old 12-15-21, 11:49 AM
NickDangr
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

I registered. Thanks for he heads-up. The question now is whether I should order a spare key today that I will likely never use, or just plan to have McGard ship me a key overnight if I ever need one. I think I'll go with option number two.
Old 12-15-21, 05:02 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NickDangr
I registered. Thanks for he heads-up. The question now is whether I should order a spare key today that I will likely never use, or just plan to have McGard ship me a key overnight if I ever need one. I think I'll go with option number two.
That's living on the edge! For me, I'd rather have a spare wheel lock key in-hand than to need the wheel lock key and but can't find it and depend on getting one shipped to me overnight. No thanks!
Old 12-15-21, 05:03 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
That's living on the edge! For me, I'd rather have a spare wheel lock key in-hand than to need the wheel lock key and but can't find it and depend on getting one shipped to me overnight. No thanks!
You sound like their sales rep.
The following users liked this post:
Jakerin (12-15-21)
Old 12-15-21, 05:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peasodos
You sound like their sales rep.
I just like for there to be no chance of having trouble, so experience has taught me to better be safe than sorry and have a spare. Did you lose or throw away your spare key fob, or have you safeguarded it in case you need it? I'll bet that your spare key fob is somewhere that you know without any doubt exactly where it is, correct?
Old 12-16-21, 05:33 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts

First thing I fid after buying the car was to use that useful lock nut key to remove McGard nuts. They now live in the landfill and I've replaced them with 5 shiny regular lug nuts.
Old 12-16-21, 05:36 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I just like for there to be no chance of having trouble, so experience has taught me to better be safe than sorry and have a spare. Did you lose or throw away your spare key fob, or have you safeguarded it in case you need it? I'll bet that your spare key fob is somewhere that you know without any doubt exactly where it is, correct?
The wheel lock key you would know exactly were it is, there is literally a spot for it right next to the tire iron in the trunk. It doesn't go anywhere when it's clicked into place. Most cars don't have this luxury and it just sits in a bag in the glove box.

Last edited by peasodos; 12-16-21 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-16-21, 07:57 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peasodos
The wheel lock key you would know exactly were it is, there is literally a spot for it right next to the tire iron in the trunk. It doesn't go anywhere when it's clicked into place. Most cars don't have this luxury and it just sits in a bag in the glove box.
Yes, I know there is a place for the wheel lock key next to the tire iron in the tools. But, I like having a wheel lock key in the cabin of the car because when I have my wheels/tires rebalanced and rotated I don't want to go digging in the trunk full of golf stuff for it. It might be pouring raining when I have it done. I want immediate access to the wheel lock key so I can hand it to the Discount Tire service rep. I want immediate access to the wheel lock key so I can hand it to the roadside assistance guy so he can get started so I can get back on the road sooner. It's not like there's no logic or good reasoning that went into my choice to have a spare wheel lock key at-the-ready...
Old 12-16-21, 12:33 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

I don't have a wheel lock key for any of my cars; never have.
Well, now you have scared me. Stop finding ways for me to spend my hard earned money!
Old 12-18-21, 05:44 AM
NickDangr
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes, I know there is a place for the wheel lock key next to the tire iron in the tools. But, I like having a wheel lock key in the cabin of the car because when I have my wheels/tires rebalanced and rotated I don't want to go digging in the trunk full of golf stuff for it. It might be pouring raining when I have it done. I want immediate access to the wheel lock key so I can hand it to the Discount Tire service rep. I want immediate access to the wheel lock key so I can hand it to the roadside assistance guy so he can get started so I can get back on the road sooner. It's not like there's no logic or good reasoning that went into my choice to have a spare wheel lock key at-the-ready...
When do you check the air pressure of your spare?

Quick Reply: McGard Spare Wheel Lock Key