GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Time to be honest about your 4th gen...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-22, 09:05 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jeverett72
But the OP lives in Minnesota so that means TONS of snow. ES doesn't come in AWD unless you get the much less powerful 4 cylinder ES 250, but the wife may not care about power and like the much better fuel economy of the ES. Admittedly the fuel economy on my AWD GS is pretty terrible. 14-17 city and 22-24 highway on premium gas only.
FWD should be fine in snow. I think OP should look at an AWD RX as well though
The following users liked this post:
gopherman (01-16-22)
Old 01-15-22, 09:49 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by greys0uled
FWD should be fine in snow. I think OP should look at an AWD RX as well though
FWD can work in snow but only if you have really good snow tires. Here's a video of an ES 300h F Sport struggling badly in snow.

Last edited by jeverett72; 01-15-22 at 10:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gopherman (01-16-22)
Old 01-17-22, 12:09 AM
gopherman
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The wife has spoken. A GS 350 it is. Loved how it drives, it's quiet, powerful, performs...feels solid. It's the type of car we both felt would be the kind we would drive until it dies. Truth be told, we don't like buying cars every few years, we drive them till the die unless they give us too many problems.

Now the problem is, finding one that checks our boxes. Apparently, these are a lot rarer than I thought. We're looking for 2018 or newer, less than 20,000 miles, blue or gray....AWD and F sport if we can find one with the analog tach and speedometer. My wife wasn't crazy about the single gauge in the F sport we looked at. I know that's picky, but I kinda felt the same. To justify the used GS over some alternatives, my hope is to find something around $45k in those specs. Prices seem to be all over the place right now so that might be tricky. Around here, the prices are high, mileage is high-ish, and our spec isn't really available. They definitely exist, just not the specs were looking for. AWD is a must. I've driven front and rear drive cars in MN my entire life...still do...but after our pickup and Outback, it does make a difference during the winter to have AWD. With ice, not so much, but on those days when the roads are completely covered, it's definitely an improvement.

Also, thanks for posting that MotorTrend comparo...who would have thought a Lexus would beat out a BMW in a MotorTrend or Car and Driver comparison test? Crazy. Truth be told, after having driven a couple of new 4 and 5 series, we weren't that impressed. I mean...definitely beautiful cars, definitely "fun" to drive, but I'll gladly take the Lexus.

Thanks for all the pointers, tips, comments, I appreciate it. When we buy, I'll come back to this thread and post.
The following 2 users liked this post by gopherman:
Im2bz2p345 (01-17-22), Niralsp88 (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 01:24 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Well you definitely made the right decision getting a GS, especially if you drive them until they fall apart. I think the GS might outlast you though!

Just so you know the F Sport only has the single gauge cluster, so you will have to decide which is more important to you. If you’re willing to get a 2017 you can find a luxury package which has the AVS from the F Sport but has both gauge clusters (in addition to markedly better seats and a bunch of other goodies the F Sport doesn’t have).

With that said an 18+ with less than 20K miles shouldn’t be too difficult unless you limit yourself to cars within your area. To find the right GS you might have to travel (or have it delivered), depending how soon you need it. I’m sure with time one you like will become available near you.

Good luck in your search!

EDIT: Looks like there is one that ticks all of your boxes (except for the gauge cluster) at Lexus of Merrillville in Indiana. It's not super close, but super far. The one picture they have of it online is poor quality and makes it look gold but it's actually Atomic Silver, and it also has triple LED headlights and the Cold Weather Package (VIN JTHCZ1BL2JA007719). Definitely should be on your short list.

Last edited by OUT FOX EM; 01-17-22 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-17-22, 04:43 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by gopherman
The wife has spoken. A GS 350 it is.
Great choice! U both will be really happy with the GS!
Old 01-18-22, 04:31 PM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

2017 Lux here- and I love it! I even like the infotainment controls and do not miss Carplay, which I have in our '22 MDX. I can voice control the nav, Pandora through the iphone and text/calls. The AVS is superb when you want to push the GS on a curvy road and I get 26 mpg no matter how I drive. Had a '16 ES and did not like the ride in the mountains, but I have to say I have never gotten completely over giving up the room the ES had in the interior. If it had handled like the GS does, I've kept it and never know the bilss of owning a car I can not see selling anytime in the near future.
Old 01-19-22, 09:45 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

The ES has bigger interior space, especially the back seat but smaller trunk and lower roof line. GS has smaller back seat space but a huge trunk that can fit a house and a higher roof line. I never hit my head in the GS but sometimes in the ES.
Old 01-19-22, 10:11 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I love the GS don't get me wrong but it's a bit old. So if safety is a big concern, consider the 7ES which is significantly safer and stronger, body in white wise, torsion wise, with TNGA. It has dual layer 1500mpa UHSS in the A and B pillar and entire roof rail forming a "T-zone" whereas the GS only has 1500 on a single section of the roof rail. The GS has 590 HSS in the front door hinge whereas the 7ES rocks 1180 grade UHSS w/ 590 HSS inner backing in the same area. So you can see Toyota/Lexus really did their homework with the 7ES/TNGA at extremely heavily reinforcing the passenger cabin with layering and optimization. This pattern extends throughout the floor and rear bulkhead as well. (I've studied both cars as I love this topic and find it fascinating)

TNGA Camry/Avalon/ES/Rav4 etc is set up to be the top 3 safest cars in the world in the IIHS's newest toughest totally revised side crash test which uses a beefed up heavier barrier at a higher speed with 83% additional crash energy. I saw some early (non-published--yet) results and TNGA bangs the competition.

Also what worries me is Toyota never bothered to submit a second/additional copy of the GS for the small overlap test probably because no revisions were made. So if I had to guess, it follows the 2IS design. Just some thoughts to consider since safety came up.

For outright performance though of course a GS has better characteristics. ES handles well though!
Old 01-19-22, 10:58 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by modad
2017 Lux here- and I love it! I even like the infotainment controls and do not miss Carplay, which I have in our '22 MDX. I can voice control the nav, Pandora through the iphone and text/calls. The AVS is superb when you want to push the GS on a curvy road and I get 26 mpg no matter how I drive. Had a '16 ES and did not like the ride in the mountains, but I have to say I have never gotten completely over giving up the room the ES had in the interior. If it had handled like the GS does, I've kept it and never know the bilss of owning a car I can not see selling anytime in the near future.
The Op should go drive the 6th Gen ES350 too. With the right Tires, (size and type) U/L 18", and some Suspension bushing it handles very well for what it is. So many like the ES350. I love my GS350 but, I miss my ES350 too.
Old 01-19-22, 02:17 PM
dkp993
Rookie

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Owned a 2014 Audi A6 3.0T prior to the GS450h I now have. I really enjoyed the A6 and like how it drives and looks better then I do my GS (which I do like very much). I drove the A6 to 130k miles and had not one issue but at that point the likely impending repairs scared me off. I drive about 25/30k a year so really needed something that could comfortably go 200+k with out killing me on repairs. So I came over to the GS. I’m happy with the decision and like my 450 but apples to apples I like the A6 better.
Old 01-19-22, 02:32 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by gopherman
The wife has spoken. A GS 350 it is. Loved how it drives, it's quiet, powerful, performs...feels solid. It's the type of car we both felt would be the kind we would drive until it dies. Truth be told, we don't like buying cars every few years, we drive them till the die unless they give us too many problems.
Now the problem is, finding one that checks our boxes. Apparently, these are a lot rarer than I thought. We're looking for 2018 or newer, less than 20,000 miles, blue or gray....AWD and F sport if we can find one with the analog tach and speedometer. My wife wasn't crazy about the single gauge in the F sport we looked at. I know that's picky, but I kinda felt the same. To justify the used GS over some alternatives, my hope is to find something around $45k in those specs. Prices seem to be all over the place right now so that might be tricky. Around here, the prices are high, mileage is high-ish, and our spec isn't really available. They definitely exist, just not the specs were looking for. AWD is a must. I've driven front and rear drive cars in MN my entire life...still do...but after our pickup and Outback, it does make a difference during the winter to have AWD. With ice, not so much, but on those days when the roads are completely covered, it's definitely an improvement.
Thanks for all the pointers, tips, comments, I appreciate it. When we buy, I'll come back to this thread and post.
Glad you decided on a GS - but you won't find an F-sport with analog gauges...that might be something end of compromising on if you find a nicely equipped AWD F-Sport. There is a rare low mileage Luxury Pkg w/Mark Levinson, AWD GS350 available through Carmax if you're willing to get a '16: https://www.carmax.com/car/21643192

The Luxury package included some really nice upgrades:
Drive Mode Select Sport S/S+ modes w/Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS);
19-inch split-five-spoke alloy wheels;
Embossed-stitch, perforated semi-aniline leather-trimmed interior w/18-way power-adjustable front seats with butterfly headrests
Gray Sapele wood with Aluminum interior trim;
Heated wood- and leather-trimmed steering wheel
Heated rear seats (standard on GS 350 AWD );
Lexus Memory System for front passenger seat
Three-zone automatic climate control
Rear-door and power rear-window sunshades
Adaptive Front Lighting System

The used car market is still "hot" right now so if you see something you like, don't hesitate! Best of luck with your search and hope to see pics soon...
Old 01-19-22, 02:45 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Glad you decided on a GS - but you won't find an F-sport with analog gauges...that might be something end of compromising on if you find a nicely equipped AWD F-Sport. There is a rare low mileage Luxury Pkg w/Mark Levinson, AWD GS350 available through Carmax if you're willing to get a '16: https://www.carmax.com/car/21643192

Embossed-stitch, perforated semi-aniline leather-trimmed interior w/18-way power-adjustable front seats with butterfly headrests

The used car market is still "hot" right now so if you see something you like, don't hesitate! Best of luck with your search and hope to see pics soon...
That is rare! Nice find!!!! Only missing the HUD.
Old 01-20-22, 09:17 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19

This one is RWD.