GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Time to be honest about your 4th gen...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-22, 12:38 AM
gopherman
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Time to be honest about your 4th gen...

Hello everyone, I'm a newb, looking to learn a little bit about the GS350. I'm looking at buying something for my wife that's safe, comfortable, can handle an MN winter, and will be towards the top in terms of reliability and build quality. I've test driven MB and BMW and while I love how they drive, I'm not convinced that they won't be in the shop constantly. So, with that being said, tell me everything you love and hate about your 4G GS. Things like: your experience with maintenance, reliability, performance, DIY-friendly repairability, pros/cons compared to other cars your considered, etc. Anything I should be on the look out for when I'm doing my search? For anyone wondering, the cars that remain on my list of cars to look into are an Audi A6, Acura TLX, and Infiniti Q50. The GS is the way that I want to go but I'm really looking into whether the 2GR, trans/AWD is going to present me with issues. I was talking to someone and he used the words flawless when talking about his GS. Coming from Acura/Honda products, I remember hearing the same about them too...but well...Honda 5AT is all I should need to say. Anyway, thanks for any tips or advice!
Old 01-12-22, 05:06 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm looking at buying something for my wife that's safe, comfortable, can handle an MN winter, and will be towards the top in terms of reliability and build quality.
That's literally the perfect description of what a GS 350 is.

Obviously you're on a Lexus forum, you'll get some pretty biased answers. But if you're after safe, comfortable, and reliable, then there simply is no better choice. I can personally speak to the AWD in the snow, and I must say I was absolutely *shocked* at how well the AWD handles the snow. As I detailed in another post, I helped many cars get unstuck -- including Subarus -- during a snowstorm last year. The GS powered through without any issues. I expected to get stuck or to struggle somewhat, and I didn't even come close.

That's not to say the car is perfect. One of the biggest downsides of the GS to me is the car is underpowered compared to its peers. It's not slow by any means, but you're not going to be blown away by its speed. By 2013 standards it was fine, but now it's long in the tooth and its power has remained stagnant while other cars pass it by (literally). Another downside you'll often hear about is the infotainment setup of the car. It has a nice 12.3" screen, but it's "remote touch", meaning you can't actually touch the screen. You have to use a mouse-type joystick to control the on-screen functions, and again, when compared to its rivals in this class, the GS infotainment system is out-of-date by comparison. I personally overcame this limitation by installing the GROM VLine VL2, instantly converting it from the least capable system to the most capable system in any car (truly), but that's a modification, and your wife may not like such a system. I personally don't think the remote touch system is all that bad, I just think in the short time that reviewers spent with the car they never grew accustomed to it. Sure, a touch screen would be preferable certainly, but I don't think it's this huge downside that many others make it out to be. Once you learn it it's just fine. You and your wife might feel differently however.

In the end, if you don't need bleeding edge tech, then there's really no better choice than the GS. It does basically everything well, and a lot of things really well. And in terms of reliability, well here's what Consumer Reports had to say about it for the most reliable cars of the decade:

Consumer Reports rated the GS sedan excellent every year this decade.

If you read through enough Consumer Reports ratings, you’ll notice even great cars can have bad years — usually, a redesign taking a few years for an automaker to work out the kinks. Then there are cars like Lexus GS, which never have any issue acing reliability tests year after year. Since 2010, GS never scored below excellent and rarely showed a flaw. The generation beginning with the 2013 redesign has been close to perfect.
Some things to keep in mind:
  • Remote features on MY 2017 and older will stop functioning in October
  • Luxury Package only available through MY 2017
  • 2016+ facelift has many improvements aside from just looking better (safety features primarily)
  • AWD system is full-time AWD with a 70/30 RWD/FWD bias, but will drop all the way down to 50/50 when needed
  • Triple beam LED headlights are amazing if you can find them
  • Mark Levinson stereo system is worth looking for

Last edited by OUT FOX EM; 01-12-22 at 05:09 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by OUT FOX EM:
AJLex19 (01-12-22), ECL (01-13-22), gopherman (01-12-22)
Old 01-12-22, 05:55 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Gas mileage is not that great. Thats the only negative I can really think of. Luxury package is really worth it, 18 way/super soft leather seats are some of the best Lexus has ever had in any car.
The following users liked this post:
gopherman (01-12-22)
Old 01-12-22, 07:14 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 553 Likes on 373 Posts

NAVI needs apple Car Play / Andriod Auto.
Squeaky F Sport brakes.

This is a great car.
The following 2 users liked this post by JeffKeryk:
ECL (01-13-22), gopherman (01-12-22)
Old 01-12-22, 07:52 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

@gopherman welcome! Here's a good thread to start with where members have outlined all the negatives: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...n-your-gs.html

Don't be scared of the sheer volume of complaints in that thread - human nature is to find something to complain about even when most things are working well. The truth is that nothing is perfect and if you go in with super high, unrealistic expectations, you may be disappointed. My CPO GS had a few issues that were really just wear/tear within the first two years of ownership (tires, brakes, rotors, weatherstrip, battery, serpentine belt). None of the issues that have arose with my GS have made me feel like I made a mistake - its a pleasure to own and drive.

If you're truly looking for reliability, driveability, safety, good in all weather (AWD), DIY fixable, the GS is it...coupled with a great forum of real-world owner help, the GS hits all the marks. You and wifey should test drive the GS against the A6, TLX and Q50 to see which one "feels" just right. The GS has that "feels just right" with its size, handling and standard feature set.

If you're looking for a real fun drivers car, it will be a 2015 F-Sport (although some find this GS to be the most "harsh" riding). If you want the luxury treatment, any GS equipped with the Luxury Package (available only from 2013-2017)...might be some of the best seats you'll sit in if you get a Luxury Package.

I think the best value GS is the refreshed 2016 model with its upgraded exterior/interior. Whichever GS you go with, you can't lose.
The following 2 users liked this post by AJLex19:
ChicagoGSf (02-11-22), gopherman (01-12-22)
Old 01-12-22, 07:59 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Let's just say this is the car that I never get tired of driving and every time I drive it, it feels like the day I got it. The excitement is always there and I'm 3 years in and it hasn't changed a bit! 2019+ is a good buy.

In D (full auto mode), it is slower than a Prius but it wakes up in manual mode and turn into a totally different car, especially at high speeds. It's good cause it helps u save on gas in full auto mode. This is RWD though.
gopherman (01-12-22)
Old 01-12-22, 08:06 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Yeah very hard to complain too much about this car...

Gas mileage poor, no carplay fixed with Carlinkit, added wireless charger and aftermarket remote starter...

Have Luxury trim with every option except for ML audio and triple beam headlights... it's all good
gopherman (01-12-22)
Old 01-12-22, 08:08 AM
MuaGS350
Pit Crew

Received 163 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by gopherman
Hello everyone, I'm a newb, looking to learn a little bit about the GS350. I'm looking at buying something for my wife that's safe, comfortable, can handle an MN winter, and will be towards the top in terms of reliability and build quality. I've test driven MB and BMW and while I love how they drive, I'm not convinced that they won't be in the shop constantly. So, with that being said, tell me everything you love and hate about your 4G GS. Things like: your experience with maintenance, reliability, performance, DIY-friendly repairability, pros/cons compared to other cars your considered, etc. Anything I should be on the look out for when I'm doing my search? For anyone wondering, the cars that remain on my list of cars to look into are an Audi A6, Acura TLX, and Infiniti Q50. The GS is the way that I want to go but I'm really looking into whether the 2GR, trans/AWD is going to present me with issues. I was talking to someone and he used the words flawless when talking about his GS. Coming from Acura/Honda products, I remember hearing the same about them too...but well...Honda 5AT is all I should need to say. Anyway, thanks for any tips or advice!

Easy decision. Get the GS.

Most people have a general understanding and agree that European cars are unreliable. I've owned a few myself and will never go back to purchasing one.
If i had to prioritize your list:

1) GS
2) TL
3) Q50

Other things to consider for Toyota: In 2021 Toyota outsold GM in the US, this is the first time an outside automaker dethroned GM. First car to hit 1 million miles, yup, you guessed it, Toyota.
gopherman (01-12-22)
Old 01-12-22, 08:09 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Q50 engine is built my MB right?
gopherman (01-12-22)
Old 01-12-22, 08:43 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by gopherman
I'm looking at buying something for my wife that's safe, comfortable, can handle an MN winter, and will be towards the top in terms of reliability and build quality.
I'll be the one to say it and be honest: you're in the wrong sub-forum.
Get an ES 350.

Last edited by greys0uled; 01-12-22 at 08:48 AM.
gopherman (01-12-22)
Old 01-12-22, 09:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I'm on my third 4th gen GS, and admittedly biased. Best cars ever.

I have long leased cars because I get tired of them after about 2 years. I'm now in my 7th year of GS ownership, if that tells you anything. My 15 GS, which was my first, was a lease. First car I've ever leased that I wasn't ready to part with when the lease ended. Buyout terms weren't great, so I bought a new 19 GS and really loved that car and the updates over my 15. Unfortunately, I picked the wrong color, and knowing that 2020 was the last year for the GS, I swapped it out for a 20 GS and I'll have it for a long time.

The car is super comfortable, quiet, fun, and handles snow with ease.
gopherman (01-12-22)
Old 01-12-22, 10:02 AM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by greys0uled
I'll be the one to say it and be honest: you're in the wrong sub-forum.
Get an ES 350.
agreed here as well! i'm slightly surprised the wife doesn't want an SUV/CUV either.
The following 2 users liked this post by timmy0tool:
Old 01-12-22, 10:07 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
agreed here as well! i'm slightly surprised the wife doesn't want an SUV/CUV either.
haha i thought the same but didn't want to say... Honda SH-AWD system is pretty darn good. Why not look at the new RDX/MDX from Acura? RX is very comfortable but i think Honda's SH-AWD is better than Toyota's...(could be wrong)
gopherman (01-12-22)
Old 01-12-22, 10:21 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

@timmy0tool @byungkuk

Yeah I would personally take an RX over an ES if I had to choose.

RX has available AWD as well, though FWD should be fine in most snow conditions.
The following 2 users liked this post by greys0uled:
Old 01-12-22, 10:26 AM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

Fuel mileage is great on the GS450h. You’ll get better than EPA figures.

Now on to the bad. Seats are not as good as my ES and RX. Rear room is not good for a car of this size. Paint is thin and soft. AVS shock will leak. Joy Stick too sensitive, you can overshoot menus. Pre 2016 models are looking dated.
The following 2 users liked this post by 703:
gopherman (01-12-22), Im2bz2p345 (01-12-22)

Quick Reply: Time to be honest about your 4th gen...