GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GPS disable instruction.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-22 | 07:30 PM
Airmech
Driver School Candidate

Default GPS disable instruction.

Hello All,

Does anyone know how to disable the factory gps on a base 2013 GS350? I rarely use it, and more concern with high level of emf emanating from the dash (as tested with an RF meter), and would like to disable it but can not find it on this site or any sites for that matter. Or, if anyone know if someone had it disabled by the dealership. Thank you for any help you can provide.
Old 01-13-22 | 07:33 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by Airmech
Hello All,

Does anyone know how to disable the factory gps on a base 2013 GS350? I rarely use it, and more concern with high level of emf emanating from the dash (as tested with an RF meter), and would like to disable it but can not find it on this site or any sites for that matter. Or, if anyone know if someone had it disabled by the dealership. Thank you for any help you can provide.
EMF? What makes you think the GPS is causing it? You can change the screen to something else like fuel consumption, audio or temp control if you want to make the map go away.
Old 01-13-22 | 07:44 PM
Airmech
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, not EMF, I meant to say RF...radio frequency. The reason I believe it's the RF is that when the ignition is on (whether one or two push or engine running), RF reading on meter is very high near the navigation control, lower at rear seat, where as, with car completely powered off, there is ZERO RF reading. Also, ending Destination on navigation made no difference. What I am looking for is actual hardware disabling of the navigation portion of the system and would like to keep everything else functioning as intended, if possible.
Old 01-13-22 | 07:49 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by Airmech
Sorry, not EMF, I meant to say RF...radio frequency. The reason I believe it's the RF is that when the ignition is on (whether one or two push or engine running), RF reading on meter is very high near the navigation control, lower at rear seat, where as, with car completely powered off, there is ZERO RF reading. Also, ending Destination on navigation made no difference. What I am looking for is actual hardware disabling of the navigation portion of the system and would like to keep everything else functioning as intended, if possible.
How does the RF from the car compare to your mobile phone?

If you really want to disable GPS, I suspect you will take something else with it. It is an integrated part of the system. You might research if there is a fuse you can pull to see what impact they have on RF.
Old 01-13-22 | 07:55 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

OP - What is your concern about RF?
Old 01-13-22 | 08:09 PM
Airmech
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
How does the RF from the car compare to your mobile phone?

If you really want to disable GPS, I suspect you will take something else with it. It is an integrated part of the system. You might research if there is a fuse you can pull to see what impact they have on RF.
The RF is much higher than phone at static, ~10 mW/M2, not that I am thrilled about the output of a cell phone, but I can mitigate the phone, which I can not the gps (as of now). Regarding fuse, I was hoping to leave "pulling random fuses" as a last option.
Old 01-13-22 | 09:46 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

What are you afraid of, increased risk of cancer or sending signals to Aliens? Sounds like you should drive an older car if you don't want the technology.

You have to remove the radio/head unit to disconnect the gps antenna. There is no fuse for it, powered by the radio/head unit.
Old 01-14-22 | 06:39 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by peasodos
What are you afraid of, increased risk of cancer or sending signals to Aliens? Sounds like you should drive an older car if you don't want the technology.

You have to remove the radio/head unit to disconnect the gps antenna. There is no fuse for it, powered by the radio/head unit.
GPS is a receiver. It doesn't broadcast anything. It merely acquires all the satellites it can and calculates where you are based on where all the satellite signals overlap. I think there is something else generating the RF.

Maybe the SOS/On-Star-ish system. It is a 3G cellular radio that will stop functioning in a few months. It might still have the radio signal but it won't get a response from a cell tower.
Old 01-14-22 | 07:16 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

There is so much electronics in the car it could be a number of different things.
Old 01-14-22 | 07:23 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
OP, I'll ask again - What is your concern about RF?
Old 01-14-22 | 07:41 AM
jkeller
Advanced

there is a screen off button somewhere in the menus
Old 01-14-22 | 10:29 AM
JUTMSS32
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'm not sure but, one of these might be the solution?

Just kidding! Thought I'd add some humor around here.
The following 3 users liked this post by JUTMSS32:
bclexus (01-14-22), CAKETOWN (01-15-22), jkeller (01-14-22)
Old 01-21-22 | 04:06 PM
BJKGSF
Driver School Candidate

Default Juvenile

I find your question to be a very important one…and in my opinion should be offered from a manufacturer that demands a premium price on their products. I am disheartened to hear the immature responses from the Lexus community on this forum. For what ever reason you want to have the option to disable the GPS on your car is solely your business and should be a option on our vehicles, regardless of what some of this community seems to think.
Old 01-21-22 | 06:06 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by BJKGSF
I find your question to be a very important one…and in my opinion should be offered from a manufacturer that demands a premium price on their products. I am disheartened to hear the immature responses from the Lexus community on this forum. For what ever reason you want to have the option to disable the GPS on your car is solely your business and should be a option on our vehicles, regardless of what some of this community seems to think.
Perhaps you are after something else. GSP for navigation is 100% passive. Are you speaking of the GPS in the sense of tracking your movements? A blackbox feature?