GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Strange noises from the engine please advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-22, 01:44 PM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

These cars are extremely rare there is nothing i can compare.

no other or simular engine cars....
so i am up to your help So to all car sounds normal, no timing chain or alternator sound according to you?
Or something else?
Old 01-18-22, 02:01 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by bladest
The car is 450h lexus hybrid, car is 350.000km at the moment. = 217.000miles.
Dealership full history.... it sounds to me like engine chains or alternator or something else is for change...
You must keep in mind that the Lexus 4GS has all sorts of things (besides very noisy fuel injectors) that randomly turn on and off as the engine and drivetrain and the HVAC starts warming up and becoming energized. There is the whiz of the HVAC fans, A/C compressor clutch, electrical relays, solenoids and pumps that control the flow of coolant, fuel, engine oil, ATF and on and on...

Have the dealership let you listen to another Lexus 3.5L V6 vehicle to compare. The car you're looking at being a hybrid makes no difference when you're just idling the 3.5L V6 engine soon after startup.

Last edited by bclexus; 01-18-22 at 08:04 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-18-22, 02:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

These cars are extremely rare there is nothing i can compare.

no other or simular engine cars....
so i am up to your help So to all car sounds normal, no timing chain or alternator sound according to you?
Or something else?
Forget the fact that the car is a hybrid. The engine in that hybrid car is basically the same engine that is in all non-hybrid Lexus 3.5L V6 vehicles.

It sounds perfectly Lexus 3.5L V6 engine normal.

Last edited by bclexus; 01-18-22 at 02:07 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-18-22, 02:06 PM
bladest
Instructor

Again in my Country these cars with v6 engine are so rare, from lexus/ and toyota we have yaris/corolla and other small things,, so i can see only that one , so to you my car runs perfectly?

What maintenance i should do on my high milleage car gearbox oil,rear differencial oil?
What else.
Old 01-18-22, 02:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Again in my Country these cars with v6 engine are so rare, from lexus/ and toyota we have yaris/corolla and other small things,, so i can see only that one , so to you my car runs perfectly?

What maintenance i should do on my high milleage car gearbox oil,rear differencial oil?
What else.
Good Lord, man!
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (01-24-22)
Old 01-18-22, 05:12 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 510 Likes on 272 Posts

OP - in this video that you posted https://streamable.com/2vagrn is it the noise that stops around the 10-11 second mark as the main engine turns off or does it continue? Is the noise you're talking about the one that changes tone a little bit right around 6-7 second mark? Again, trying to tell us exactly in the videos where the noise is more clearly audible might help - there's just so many different noises it's hard to understand what specific noise it is. In the longer first video posted around the 32-34 second mark I think (it's hard since the player doesn't show time as it's playing) there's the noise when the engine starts again where there's a sound that sort of vacilates, maybe that's the one?

My only reason for suggesting hybird folks chime in was that I wasn't sure if there were slightly different hums, whirs, or noises from part of that system - I wasn't sure if the system that charges the hybrid batteries was maybe a little different from a non-hybrid so

What I might suggest is taking it to a good independent mechanic if possible or bring a mechanic with you to listen to it. When I purchased my GS I took it to my mechanic that I trust and just had them give it the once over to look/listen for anything that I couldn't see. It cost me about an hour of one of their technicians time but it was good peace of mind for me.

Last edited by LexusGSboy; 01-18-22 at 05:15 PM. Reason: typo/clarity
bladest (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22, 05:26 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

So looking back at your other two posts in August/November it sounds like in Bulgaria your options are minimal so it's either take this one and accept a little bit of risk that you may need to do some repairs (maybe-who knows) or wait and hope another GS pops up.
Old 01-18-22, 05:31 PM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
OP - in this video that you posted https://streamable.com/2vagrn is it the noise that stops around the 10-11 second mark as the main engine turns off or does it continue? Is the noise you're talking about the one that changes tone a little bit right around 6-7 second mark? Again, trying to tell us exactly in the videos where the noise is more clearly audible might help - there's just so many different noises it's hard to understand what specific noise it is. In the longer first video posted around the 32-34 second mark I think (it's hard since the player doesn't show time as it's playing) there's the noise when the engine starts again where there's a sound that sort of vacilates, maybe that's the one?

My only reason for suggesting hybird folks chime in was that I wasn't sure if there were slightly different hums, whirs, or noises from part of that system - I wasn't sure if the system that charges the hybrid batteries was maybe a little different from a non-hybrid so

What I might suggest is taking it to a good independent mechanic if possible or bring a mechanic with you to listen to it. When I purchased my GS I took it to my mechanic that I trust and just had them give it the once over to look/listen for anything that I couldn't see. It cost me about an hour of one of their technicians time but it was good peace of mind for me.

Greetings in this video noise stops at around 10-11 seconds yes

https://streamable.com/2vagrn

in my country independant mechanic which have knowledge about these Cars doesnt exist , as well as lexus dealer ship since we are very small country i already spoke with high end shops they doesnt want to touch lexus hybrid and they never .
worked on one .
they have experience with audi bmw mercedess etc vw group...

Are the noises from my videos normal or not since i cant find another car with either 450h engine or 3.5 engine , if you think something meeds to be fixed like alternator timing chains or something else let me known please
i dont want car to die on me and engine used cost a lot for that extremely rare car
Old 01-18-22, 06:13 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Greetings in this video noise stops at around 10-11 seconds yes

https://streamable.com/2vagrn

in my country independant mechanic which have knowledge about these Cars doesnt exist , as well as lexus dealer ship since we are very small country i already spoke with high end shops they doesnt want to touch lexus hybrid and they never .
worked on one .
they have experience with audi bmw mercedess etc vw group...

Are the noises from my videos normal or not since i cant find another car with either 450h engine or 3.5 engine , if you think something meeds to be fixed like alternator timing chains or something else let me known please
i dont want car to die on me and engine used cost a lot for that extremely rare car
I didn't necessarily mean someone w specific knowledge of the GS Hybrid/Lexus Hybrid - if there is a timing chain noise or alternator noise like you seem to think you might be hearing any mechanic would still be able to hear that.

Personally, if it's that hard to find someone to work on the car or get parts because they're either hard to find or expensive then I'd be hesitant to buy in the first place. I'm assuming from your questions in the earlier post about the scan tool that you'd be doing the work yourself - if not then I definitely wouldn't buy it because from your description no one will work on it for you because of the hybrid power train.

Looking at things there seems to be one Lexus dealer in Bulgaria and a number of Toyota dealers. I can't imagine that the Toyota dealers couldn't listen to it and give you some advice about any noises you hear.

To me the car sounds pretty normal I think the other noises I'm not familiar with because it's a hybrid. Peasodos who replied above that it sounded normal has a hybrid and he knows his car inside and out with the modifications he's done- but again, it's really hard to understand the exact thing you might be hearing.

So I come back to the fact - if you really really want a GS Hybird it's either this one or wait again for another which may or may not be as nice as this one.

Interestingly I'm wondering if this is a LUX model given that it has the seat memory on the passenger side. It also looks like the passenger seat has more settings which would also point toward a LUX. I don't know if those things were something different in Europe or different on the Hybrid. If it is a Lux then that would make this one pretty rare.
Old 01-18-22, 07:07 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 190 Posts

It's the high pitched straight cut gear whine-ish sound that every single gs450h/ls600h/anything with the L110/L110F transmission makes while "idling". Picked mine up (3rd gen) at ~240k km, it's over 340k now and 1) the noise is still there, 2) it's consistent with every clip of a GS/LS hybrid idling on the net (rare to find as most owners show them off in EV start mode or with the coolant temp above 40celsius - i.e. the car doesn't idle to warm up the cats). I think it's been discussed here... once... somewhere... very obscure topic, question is valid and the answer is - it's fine.

There are plenty of Toyota/Lexus dealers and independents in Bulgaria. We can also get parts for very reasonable prices (not via the main dealers, of course). The car itself is basically a RWD prius with a big engine and a 2-stage auto for MG2.

Re: "I don't want the engine to die on me" and all that - like any other out-of-warranty luxury/expensive vehicle - be prepared for BIG expenses. These cars are super reliable, but if something does go wrong, it can get expensive. If you don't want to worry about that - get a Toyota Corolla. Alternatively - keep playing with fire.

Re: alternator belts - I'll just say, once again - you have the service manual, you have your owner's manual, you have EPCs (epc-data, lexuspartsnow, whatever), you can learn EVERYTHING about your vehicle without posting a thread for every single possible question out there. If you've read this far - no starters & alternators on this car (it's a hybrid - the motors do that), belt is for the water pump only (which you might wanna replace just in case as it used to be a 2GR "weakspot" (super rare), it'll be ~500eur in parts alone probably), I've never ever heard of the chains snapping on a 2GR. 0w40 oil is completely fine, which is f***ing obvious given that the (user AND service) manual (for outside of USA, we don't have CAFE over here) says that anything from 0w20 to 20w50 is fine (no joke), depending on the environment. I'd just use a GOOD 5w30 (Amsoil is available, everything from Ravenol is available, the guy that owns Nissan/Renault/Dacia in BG also imports Mobil so that's available as well... plus a ton of others), change oil at max 10k km intervals (7.5k if the car's driven exclusively in the city) and that's it. If you can't figure out why 0w40 is good - read, I'm honestly tired of answering lazy questions on DMs or whatever.

</rant>
The following 3 users liked this post by Lwerewolf:
Im2bz2p345 (01-19-22), LexusGSboy (01-18-22), MX73 (01-20-22)
Old 01-19-22, 02:17 AM
bladest
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
I didn't necessarily mean someone w specific knowledge of the GS Hybrid/Lexus Hybrid - if there is a timing chain noise or alternator noise like you seem to think you might be hearing any mechanic would still be able to hear that.

Personally, if it's that hard to find someone to work on the car or get parts because they're either hard to find or expensive then I'd be hesitant to buy in the first place. I'm assuming from your questions in the earlier post about the scan tool that you'd be doing the work yourself - if not then I definitely wouldn't buy it because from your description no one will work on it for you because of the hybrid power train.

Looking at things there seems to be one Lexus dealer in Bulgaria and a number of Toyota dealers. I can't imagine that the Toyota dealers couldn't listen to it and give you some advice about any noises you hear.

To me the car sounds pretty normal I think the other noises I'm not familiar with because it's a hybrid. Peasodos who replied above that it sounded normal has a hybrid and he knows his car inside and out with the modifications he's done- but again, it's really hard to understand the exact thing you might be hearing.

So I come back to the fact - if you really really want a GS Hybird it's either this one or wait again for another which may or may not be as nice as this one.

Interestingly I'm wondering if this is a LUX model given that it has the seat memory on the passenger side. It also looks like the passenger seat has more settings which would also point toward a LUX. I don't know if those things were something different in Europe or different on the Hybrid. If it is a Lux then that would make this one pretty rare.

Last time when i was at dealership from toyota, they told me that they will be using transmission fluid for my rear differencial, they imcompetance is extremely high, i would not trust them, since i already did in the paste and i suffered their mistakes...
Car is with Luxury grade equipment level, it missing winter heater only. and front window defrogger.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-19-22, 08:06 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

Last time when i was at dealership from toyota, they told me that they will be using transmission fluid for my rear differencial, they imcompetance is extremely high, i would not trust them, since i already did in the paste and i suffered their mistakes...
Car is with Luxury grade equipment level, it missing winter heater only. and front window defrogger.
Thanks for the reply.
Definitely not transmission fluid unless they are talking about manual transmission fluid, which is essentially gear oil and generally safe for both differentials and manual transmissions if it is GL-5 grade.
Old 01-19-22, 09:08 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

So have you brought the car or not?

Last edited by 703; 01-19-22 at 09:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 703:
Im2bz2p345 (01-19-22), LexusGSboy (01-19-22)
Old 01-21-22, 10:48 AM
bladest
Instructor

As i mentioned in the paste yes i own one gs450h with the noises.
Old 01-21-22, 03:19 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

As i mentioned in the paste yes i own one gs450h with the noises.
Enjoy the car.

Stop worrying unless it throws an error code or it starts wobbling. With 300k km and 10 years old it’s nearing end of life even by Lexus standards.

Once my cars are over 100,000 km, I stop worrying about it. It’s only in the first five years from brand new where I obsess about every single detail.

bclexus (01-21-22)

Quick Reply: Strange noises from the engine please advice?