GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Strange noises from the engine please advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-22, 04:24 PM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
I didn't necessarily mean someone w specific knowledge of the GS Hybrid/Lexus Hybrid - if there is a timing chain noise or alternator noise like you seem to think you might be hearing any mechanic would still be able to hear that.

Personally, if it's that hard to find someone to work on the car or get parts because they're either hard to find or expensive then I'd be hesitant to buy in the first place. I'm assuming from your questions in the earlier post about the scan tool that you'd be doing the work yourself - if not then I definitely wouldn't buy it because from your description no one will work on it for you because of the hybrid power train.

Looking at things there seems to be one Lexus dealer in Bulgaria and a number of Toyota dealers. I can't imagine that the Toyota dealers couldn't listen to it and give you some advice about any noises you hear.

To me the car sounds pretty normal I think the other noises I'm not familiar with because it's a hybrid. Peasodos who replied above that it sounded normal has a hybrid and he knows his car inside and out with the modifications he's done- but again, it's really hard to understand the exact thing you might be hearing.

So I come back to the fact - if you really really want a GS Hybird it's either this one or wait again for another which may or may not be as nice as this one.

Interestingly I'm wondering if this is a LUX model given that it has the seat memory on the passenger side. It also looks like the passenger seat has more settings which would also point toward a LUX. I don't know if those things were something different in Europe or different on the Hybrid. If it is a Lux then that would make this one pretty rare.
Originally Posted by 703
Enjoy the car.

Stop worrying unless it throws an error code or it starts wobbling. With 300k km and 10 years old it’s nearing end of life even by Lexus standards.

Once my cars are over 100,000 km, I stop worrying about it. It’s only in the first five years from brand new where I obsess about every single detail.
With 300k km and 10 years old it’s nearing end of life even by Lexus standards.

So i should be worried or not?
Old 01-21-22, 04:40 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Stop worrying unless it throws an error code or it starts wobbling. With 300k km and 10 years old it’s nearing end of life even by Lexus standards.
Over here cars have 10 lives... and believe me, a Lexus at 300k km & 10 years is anything but near its EOL.
Old 01-21-22, 05:07 PM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If 10 years old is end of life and 300.000km , how about The other car i own is more than 30 years old, and probably more than 800.000km at least 30 owners and no one knows the exact mileage, how you will call it?
Old 01-21-22, 06:49 PM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by bladest

Put it this way, if you were told you had 3 months to live, what would you worry about? You just go out and live your life. Same thing with old and high mileage cars, drive them without a care in the world.
The following 2 users liked this post by 703:
Im2bz2p345 (01-23-22), LexusGSboy (01-21-22)
Old 01-21-22, 06:54 PM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Over here cars have 10 lives... and believe me, a Lexus at 300k km & 10 years is anything but near its EOL.
That’s with simple cars that can be fixed cheaply and put back on the road. The GS450h is not something that can be cheaply fixed nor simple.

Some of the parts are not longer manufactured or stocked in Japan and good luck finding a wrecked one. I had to wait 3 months for an OEM rear bumper to come in.

Old 01-21-22, 07:39 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 187 Posts

Haven't had the need to look for bumpers/fenders/other cosmetics yet (other than mudguards - finally found a set), but given that they're shared across the model range and that there are actually plenty of these cars around - that's easy. 3 months is flat out ridiculous for anything other than brand new OEM panels shipped from Japan, which is definitely not something that you'd need to get the car back on the road - unless you're also going to do a full respray of the vehicle to be sure that the metallic/pearl flakes grain size/pattern, orange peel & all that matches up & etc & etc. Given that new cars do get delivered refinished, I kind of think that this is a sliiight overkill for even a very well looked after daily driver.

The gs450h is one of the simplest and stoutest cars in its segment. Junked "transmissions" are unheard of - might have to change the bearings on the auxiliary oil pump and that's it. Inverter - no issues whatsoever on the 4th gen. Brake module - available, shared across a ton of cars (first compatible modules are from the 3rd gen GS430, still manufactured for the is/rc300h and some other hybrids/EBD-equipped cars). Engine - about as simple as it gets, so long as you don't get dust ingress past the air filter (which you won't really because it's a 4th gen, 3rd gen had a TSB for that in Russia - mount the gs350 airbox and you're set, otherwise dust goes towards the 5th cylinder, polishing everything along the way). Battery - save up ~3-4k at the 10yr mark just in case... potentially... maybe... you get it.

Cheap to fix? Not a corolla, no. For what it is - yes,very.

Originally Posted by bladest
Make up your own mind.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (01-23-22)