GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Strange noises from the engine please advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-22, 05:10 AM
bladest
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Strange noises from the engine please advice?

Hi here are 2 small videos of my engine, it sounds terrible is it broken or its time for chains replacement or something else or its normal please tell me based on these 2 small videos.
https://streamable.com/slhw1b

https://streamable.com/dwxg39 please watch the small clips and tell me i am afraid if engine is in bad shape, i dont want engine failure or timing chains failure
Old 01-18-22, 06:33 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 402 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by bladest
Hi here are 2 small videos of my engine, it sounds terrible is it broken or its time for chains replacement or something else or its normal please tell me based on these 2 small videos.
https://streamable.com/slhw1b

https://streamable.com/dwxg39 please watch the small clips and tell me i am afraid if engine is in bad shape, i dont want engine failure or timing chains failure
All I heard was a jet engine sound or an electric leaf blower noise. I didn't hear anything that sounds like an engine noise.
Old 01-18-22, 06:45 AM
bladest
Instructor

Can you hear the both small clips again please...
Old 01-18-22, 07:16 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Can you hear the both small clips again please...
It won't do any good. I didn't hear anything. Without the hood open and the recording of that area, there is no possible way to determine what you are intending to capture. I heard nothing that approximated an engine failure. It appeared you were at a dealership. What did they say?
Old 01-18-22, 07:25 AM
bladest
Instructor

Dealership doesnt always help , unfortunately this forum is all i got in terms of help.
Old 01-18-22, 09:15 AM
bladest
Instructor

Here is new video i hope thar helps

https://streamable.com/2vagrn

engine and bonnet opened car is running
Old 01-18-22, 09:42 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

It's purring like a well maintained sewing machine!

The engine compartment appears to be quite dusty and dirty for a vehicle being sold (I presume) by a Lexus dealership. I'd be a little concerned about the engine air filter and the cabin air filter needing to be replaced as well as the engine oil and filter.

Old 01-18-22, 10:16 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Describe the noise you think you are hearing that you are concern about.
Old 01-18-22, 10:54 AM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

That sounds pretty normal to me. The ticking sound is normal on all Toyota 3.5L V6s. The mechanic let me listen to the high pressure fuel pump with his stethiscope and I could really hear the ticking. He said it's normal. I recently complained about a whining sound like a supercharger when accelerating but independent mechanic said it's normal and I see in the GS F section lots of people saying even the V8 makes a whining sound. Sounds like its just a Toyota thing.
Old 01-18-22, 10:57 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

In the old days, engines weren't that quiet either. Is this a new car to you or did it just start making these noises?
Old 01-18-22, 12:57 PM
bladest
Instructor

The car is 450h lexus hybrid, car is 350.000km at the moment. = 217.000miles.
Dealership full history.... it sounds to me like engine chains or alternator or something else is for change...

Old 01-18-22, 01:18 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 512 Likes on 272 Posts

I think the key here is that this is a hybrid so to me it already sounds a little different.

Maybe it would help if, as @jgscott suggested, you try to describe the noise. You might also give us times in the video where it starts and stops or you can hear it a little better? Are you talking about the whiring, sort of blower noise? I'm not getting anything from the video that sounds metallic like I would expect from a timing chain issue.

I'm wondering if it's something that's happening as the things are going back and forth w the hybrid system so we might need the folks with hybrids to chime in.

Looking at the plates (and from the speech in the video) this car is also outside the US so there could be some language nuance to work through. There's also some noise that I'm not sure if it's background noise in the shop or if it's the car.
Old 01-18-22, 01:37 PM
bladest
Instructor

Please somebody with Hybird car same year 2012 and up lexus 4th gen to compare my noise with your noise if you have same more or less miles...
please check last video here is link again

in the begining you can hear it.

Yes car is not in the usa since i live in europe yes.
But hybrid engines are the same all around the globe of toyota gs 450h.
Old 01-18-22, 01:39 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Honestly your car sounds normal, from the part of the clips that didn't have the background noise. Our engine sounds like a sewing machine and the other electrical noises are the hybrid system. You can make another video in a quieter place for us. I think your a bit paranoid because of the high mileage, understandable.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (01-24-22)
Old 01-18-22, 01:40 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

There's nothing associated with the hybrid's traction motor and battery that would make a noise when the car is idling (and not even in gear) soon after startup. The engine noise I hear in the last video clip sounds to me like typical fuel injector chatter), the same noise/sound that any Lexus GS 3.5L V6 makes regardless whether the car is a hybrid or not.

It sounds like (excuse the pun) that the Lexus dealership is not cooperating with the OP to show (prove) to him the engine sounds just like any other Lexus 3.5L V6 engine. Maybe the dealership has other Lexus models with 3.5L V6 engines on-hand that the OP can startup and listen to compare...

Quick Reply: Strange noises from the engine please advice?