GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Grabby, non-linear brake feel (OEM F-Sport brakes)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-22, 11:38 AM
Fakiiri
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Grabby, non-linear brake feel (OEM F-Sport brakes)

The brakes have always been the only thing I haven’t been a fan of when it comes to this car. Out of all the cars I’ve owned over the years, this is by far the hardest one to be smooth with when braking. Not only are they very grabby, but they also don’t feel linear if that makes sense.
For example, going 40 mph and coming to a compelte stop at a light. Even if I keep the exact same pressure from 40 down to 5, it feels as though the brakes grab more at a certain point, usually around 10 mph or so. And it’s not the sensation of having warped/hot spotted rotors where it’s kind of on/off/on/off feeling just before coming to a complete stop - it literally feels as though it all of a sudden applies just a tad bit more pressure on the brakes.
Is this something you guys experience too? And is there anything I can do about it?
TIA
Old 01-19-22, 01:49 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

hmm i feel like i had similar feel when i first bought the car (as used 34k mi.) but got used it and i think i brake much smoother - one thing i notice is i don't have to brake all the way down as much to stop (does that make sense?)
Old 01-19-22, 02:05 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

It’s the only reason I didn’t go for the F Sport. Brakes were too grabby for a smooth stop, and it made a noise as well. I think members had luck changing out the pads to a softer type. But that was a very low speeds. Otherwise they were linear.

One other thing you can do is reset the linear solenoid value. Workshops forget to do this step when they change brake fluids or change the brakes.

Last edited by 703; 01-19-22 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-19-22, 02:20 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

18 F Sport RWD with no issues with brakes. They perform well as expected with no noise.
Old 01-19-22, 03:28 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

I agree that F Sport brakes are very grabby, they're overkill on a car like this. With that being said, I have no problem stopping smoothly, It doesn't take much pedal pressure to get this car to slow down.

I would take a look at your pads and rotors. I haven't experienced the issues you're describing.

Old 01-19-22, 05:27 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 526 Likes on 359 Posts

That's not my experience. The brakes in our GS have been great, once we got past the squeal that is. They feel like a well sorted system. They are strong without being grabby. Of course the Michelin Pilots play a part....
The Textar pads had better bite (and squealed like a pig), but were not grabby. The Lexus TSB pads are fine.

And I also drive a Model 3 with the one pedal driving, so I feel pretty well versed in brake modulation.
I would do a full inspection, front and rear. Renew the fluid. Good luck!
Old 01-20-22, 09:01 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Fakiiri
The brakes have always been the only thing I haven’t been a fan of when it comes to this car. Out of all the cars I’ve owned over the years, this is by far the hardest one to be smooth with when braking. Not only are they very grabby, but they also don’t feel linear if that makes sense.
For example, going 40 mph and coming to a compelte stop at a light. Even if I keep the exact same pressure from 40 down to 5, it feels as though the brakes grab more at a certain point, usually around 10 mph or so. And it’s not the sensation of having warped/hot spotted rotors where it’s kind of on/off/on/off feeling just before coming to a complete stop - it literally feels as though it all of a sudden applies just a tad bit more pressure on the brakes.
Is this something you guys experience too? And is there anything I can do about it?
TIA
Without knowing what pads you have, it isn't clear what impact they have.

More performance oriented pads require a little heat to be effective. True performance pads, sometimes purchased on name alone, will not work very well when cold and must be warmed up to be most effective.

The first thing I'd do is check the pads and see if you can determine whether they are stock or what they are. Second, as a precaution, bleed the brakes to be sure there is no air in the system.

Finally, you could install a set of less performance oriented pads as a level set to get to a known state.

Old 01-20-22, 10:50 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Any cars Brakes pads can affect the Braking. But I don't think that's what the op is saying about the brakes.