GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Thoughts on buying this 2016 GS Fsport?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-22, 10:15 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by tomex77
I see your point but it's really not that risky buying a 5-6 year old car with 40k miles. You can always ask the dealer to record a very good video of the vehicle. That's what I did, turned out exactly as seen on video.
Maybe so but, you cannot test drive the car for analysis. Too much hassle to return something if not what you wanted. Everyone is different.
Old 01-22-22, 07:08 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Umar22079
Alright guys, back on the fence and really could use some feedback or advice-So I scratched the idea of the first GS above and am looking at this one posted on Shift based on Muags350s suggestion- https://shift.com/car/2016-gray-lexus-gs-350/c184726.
Maintenance is solid, clean history, low mileage, and salesperson told me they just put fresh tires on so added perk. Only piece of information I couldn't get a hold of was the trim level (ML audio, triple beam package etc etc.) what's the best indicator to know what trim level you're looking at?

Here is the other dilemma/consideration. The car is $33.5 "otd". I increased my budget on this purchase since I realized the GS market was just way higher than I understood it to be. $33.5 was a figure I was comfortable with, but after talking with the Shift rep, I've found out that there aren't any Shift hubs on the east coast and I'll be looking at about $2100 in shipping costs to my house (i'm in northern VA, car is in Oregon). That's a total of $35,700 estimated otd. Ironically, even with the shipping included, its the most competitive price i've come across so far since most other '16s are floating around the same or higher that have more miles and in some cases damage or accident history.

I guess my question here is, is this car worth the price and is it ideal to break the budget a bit more to get something I know is solid vs taking a slightly riskier approach to save a few $$ (higher mileage, damage history, lack of records, etc.)? Budget wise, I know i'll have to sell off my w124 and possibly even my e34 to make up some of the difference but with this purchase, I suppose I look at it more so as an investment being a Lexus. I hardly drive about 50 miles a week and will be driving this next car into the ground if it allows me to.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Ok, so this is a RWD F Sport with the staggered wheel setup. You live on the east coast, did you want AWD?

I was able to put the VIN into Lexus owners site and look at the options (noticed some in the listing as well)

Pretty much has every option for a 16' F Sport except HUD and DRS. No triple beam (not sure if this was an option on 16's).

This one looks good to me, complete opposite of the first one you linked. I will never buy a car involved in an accident unless there's documents/pictures of the accident and the repair work. This gets a green light from me. Try negotiating down and mentioning the wear on the front bumper.

Last edited by greys0uled; 01-22-22 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-22-22, 07:12 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

Originally Posted by charley95
Maybe so but, you cannot test drive the car for analysis. Too much hassle to return something if not what you wanted. Everyone is different.
Carvana and Shift have return periods. I don't think it's a hassle.
Old 01-22-22, 07:31 PM
mjo13
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought my clean 15 F-sport GS in late 2018 for about $36k OTD. Considering how crazy the car market is right now, I wouldn't have any issues pulling the trigger at this price, especially considering the return period you have.
Old 01-22-22, 08:36 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

@Umar22079 Not sure if you saw this one:

2016 F-Sport; Silver/Blk, RWD, 57k miles; $33,500
https://www.vroom.com/inventory/JTHBZ1BL4GA006608

Old 01-22-22, 09:37 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
@Umar22079 Not sure if you saw this one:

2016 F-Sport; Silver/Blk, RWD, 57k miles; $33,500
https://www.vroom.com/inventory/JTHBZ1BL4GA006608
Be careful with Vroom. Google Vroom registration problem or just read the Vroom reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/Vroom/). I personally would not buy from them b/c so many people are having nightmare issues with getting their registrations/plates/titles from them even months after they deliver the car. Lots of BBB complaints. This company is not to be trusted. Their customer service after the sale is pretty much non-existent.
Old 01-22-22, 09:48 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Alright guys, back on the fence and really could use some feedback or advice-So I scratched the idea of the first GS above and am looking at this one posted on Shift based on Muags350s suggestion- https://shift.com/car/2016-gray-lexus-gs-350/c184726.
Maintenance is solid, clean history, low mileage, and salesperson told me they just put fresh tires on so added perk. Only piece of information I couldn't get a hold of was the trim level (ML audio, triple beam package etc etc.) what's the best indicator to know what trim level you're looking at?

Here is the other dilemma/consideration. The car is $33.5 "otd". I increased my budget on this purchase since I realized the GS market was just way higher than I understood it to be. $33.5 was a figure I was comfortable with, but after talking with the Shift rep, I've found out that there aren't any Shift hubs on the east coast and I'll be looking at about $2100 in shipping costs to my house (i'm in northern VA, car is in Oregon). That's a total of $35,700 estimated otd. Ironically, even with the shipping included, its the most competitive price i've come across so far since most other '16s are floating around the same or higher that have more miles and in some cases damage or accident history.

I guess my question here is, is this car worth the price and is it ideal to break the budget a bit more to get something I know is solid vs taking a slightly riskier approach to save a few $$ (higher mileage, damage history, lack of records, etc.)? Budget wise, I know i'll have to sell off my w124 and possibly even my e34 to make up some of the difference but with this purchase, I suppose I look at it more so as an investment being a Lexus. I hardly drive about 50 miles a week and will be driving this next car into the ground if it allows me to.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
https://bit.ly/3KyfRBj

2016 or newer GS w/in 200 miles of Northern VA under $35K and under 75K miles listed on Autotrader. 23 results.

Personally I would pay a $2-3K extra for a car that has lower miles, or no accidents/good service records on the Carfax or on drivers.lexus.com.

Last edited by jeverett72; 01-22-22 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-23-22, 02:57 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Still wondering if OP wants RWD or AWD.
Old 01-23-22, 04:35 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by jeverett72
Be careful with Vroom. Google Vroom registration problem or just read the Vroom reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/Vroom/). I personally would not buy from them b/c so many people are having nightmare issues with getting their registrations/plates/titles from them even months after they deliver the car. Lots of BBB complaints. This company is not to be trusted. Their customer service after the sale is pretty much non-existent.
This sounds like the saga of CNC Motors of California. They were a big exotic dealer that sold high end cars that was shut down. Many people bought and consigned their cars and never received their titles or their proceeds from the sale of their car. It's quite the story if you Google them.
Old 01-23-22, 07:54 AM
Umar22079
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So should have clarified actually, I'm in the market for an Fsport in particular. There are plenty of affordable GS's in the market around my area but not a ton of Fsports, again with clean titles and good service history. AWD or RWD doesn't matter much to me. Granted the AWD would have come in handy past few weeks given the snow storms we've had but snow around Northern VA is far and few and when it does come it hardly lasts a couple days.

On the Carvana/Vroom/Shift etc note, I'm aware of all the title and registration issues they've all been having. I'm not too worried about the logistics of all that given that as long as my stuff is documented and Shift provides a timeline for when I can expect everything I'm not too concerned.

So I also now have my eyes on '14 GS350 Fsport that I'm waiting to get some more details on. I read on the Lexus owners site that the previous owner took the car in for the infamous torque converter issue and I couldn't find anywhere in the notes that it was resolved or parts were replaced. If i'm not able to confirm by either the dealer or the shop that took the car in for the issue that it was addressed, I'm gonna go ahead and shoot for the Shift GS.
Old 01-23-22, 09:00 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

@Umar22079 Go RWD then, it has the 8 speed transmission instead of the 6 the AWD’s have. Also, the AWD sits higher and has a funny look. I didn’t want to mess with suspension so RWD was a must for me, it sits noticeably lower stock.

If you can afford it, go for a 16+ , they have modern tech and safety features. One thing I wish I had on my 14’ was LKA and the updated infotainment. If you were to sit in a 13-15 then go to a 16+ you would definitely tell the difference in terms of age.
Old 01-23-22, 11:16 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

So should have clarified actually, I'm in the market for an Fsport in particular. There are plenty of affordable GS's in the market around my area but not a ton of Fsports, again with clean titles and good service history. AWD or RWD doesn't matter much to me. Granted the AWD would have come in handy past few weeks given the snow storms we've had but snow around Northern VA is far and few and when it does come it hardly lasts a couple days.

So I also now have my eyes on '14 GS350 Fsport that I'm waiting to get some more details on. I read on the Lexus owners site that the previous owner took the car in for the infamous torque converter issue and I couldn't find anywhere in the notes that it was resolved or parts were replaced. If i'm not able to confirm by either the dealer or the shop that took the car in for the issue that it was addressed, I'm gonna go ahead and shoot for the Shift GS.
Keep in mind that the pre-refresh ('13-'15) GS F-Sports ride a bit more sporty/firm than the '16+. Many members have confirmed this with excellent info/threads about the changes in suspension components used between pre-refresh and post refresh models.

Old 01-23-22, 11:43 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Keep in mind that the pre-refresh ('13-'15) GS F-Sports ride a bit more sporty/firm than the '16+. Many members have confirmed this with excellent info/threads about the changes in suspension components used between pre-refresh and post refresh models.
Others may disagree, but I find the ride on the 13-15 F Sports to be pretty harsh over bumps/imperfect roads. On the days when you drive spirited it's amazing, but the other days when you just want to cruise, it's not as comfortable.

Part of me regrets not being patient and finding a luxury model, but then again the exterior styling and the details of the F Sport are just so much better imo.

So if 16+ is even a bit more comfortable, I would go that route - among other things.