GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Thoughts on buying this 2016 GS Fsport?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-22, 09:28 PM
Umar22079
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thoughts on buying this 2016 GS Fsport?

What's up everyone--
So been in the market for a new Lexus for 2-3 months now. I was in hopes that the used car market would cool off but prices have just been continuing to rise since the new year. I'm getting to the point now where I could continue waiting for the right deal since I have a few other dailys ('95 e34 and '95 w124) but I'm just sick of looking at cars at this point and I hardly drive about 50 miles a week anyway.

At any rate, the best I've found so far is a 2016 GS 350 F Sport AWD with 86k miles going for $31.3 otd. Car does have minor damage reported on the Carfax but i'm not terribly concerned, doesn't look like any other vehicle was involved. Wanted to get some feedback and see what others think of this deal before I call the dealer tomorrow.

Is this price too high? Am I better off continuing my search? The general consensus is these cars are solid but any concerns or things to lookout for with the higher mileage?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-19-22, 09:31 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Umar22079
What's up everyone--
So been in the market for a new Lexus for 2-3 months now. I was in hopes that the used car market would cool off but prices have just been continuing to rise since the new year. I'm getting to the point now where I could continue waiting for the right deal since I have a few other dailys ('95 e34 and '95 w124) but I'm just sick of looking at cars at this point and I hardly drive about 50 miles a week anyway.

At any rate, the best I've found so far is a 2016 GS 350 F Sport AWD with 86k miles going for $31.3 otd. Car does have minor damage reported on the Carfax but i'm not terribly concerned, doesn't look like any other vehicle was involved. Wanted to get some feedback and see what others think of this deal before I call the dealer tomorrow.

Is this price too high? Am I better off continuing my search? The general consensus is these cars are solid but any concerns or things to lookout for with the higher mileage?

Thanks in advance!
Do you have a link? Do you have the Carfax? Could be a good deal, or not.
Old 01-19-22, 09:55 PM
Umar22079
Driver School Candidate

https://www.basilford.com/used/LEXUS...0676c9ca63.htm

Carfax is posted on their site. Not a ton of info but some basic maintenance and some details on the reported damage.
Old 01-20-22, 08:02 AM
MuaGS350
Pit Crew

Received 163 Likes on 68 Posts

What's up everyone--

Thanks in advance!
No deal for me. Considering the mileage and minor accident - I wouldnt buy it for that price. Check these out: https://shift.com/cars?q=Lexus+GS+350

The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (01-20-22)
Old 01-20-22, 08:02 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Not bad. Can anyone get the Lexus site info? Guy, chip in and help!

I get nothing when entered on this car vin. My only concern would be no service History on Websites? Missing until 45k, 3 years later? If the service showed up and the Dealer does not know, I would use the Service History missing on Car Fax to try and negotiate.

If you still want it I would get it quickly. The Color year and price will make it Sell Fast. Good Luck!
Old 01-20-22, 08:11 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MuaGS350
No deal for me. Considering the mileage and minor accident - I wouldnt buy it for that price. Check these out: https://shift.com/cars?q=Lexus+GS+350
At this time, $31.3K is not bad out the door. That means the car is selling for like around $27 - 28$k? The CF was a minor, normally just front bumper and lights. CF means less and less these days on nice cars, especially when minor. But, you are right that if you are patience there is always possibly a better deal out there to be had. He could also say I would buy it now today for $29.8 otd and see what they say. But its a Sellers market right now.

* To the op it is missing some stuff like the Upgraded ML Audio, Triple Beam Headlight, HUD, and a few other things that would make it more appealing.
Old 01-20-22, 08:15 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

This car has a pretty rough history. Sold in CT, registered in NJ, no dealer maintenance records, and that interior looks like they rubbed armor all over everything. Maybe I'm just being picky, hard pass.
greys0uled (01-20-22)
Old 01-20-22, 09:03 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Hard pass, OP. Keep looking.
Old 01-20-22, 09:06 AM
Umar22079
Driver School Candidate

All fair points. I should mention that the 31.3 out the door is after negotiating from 31.8 so they offered $500 off. They seem to be pretty stiff on the price from what I gather.

I think what I'm really trying to justify to myself here is a higher mileage/not so great history GS for closer to a 30k price point instead of upping the budget slightly more (say 33-34k) to get a great one. This is all btw after starting this search two months ago with a GX 470 in mind and a budget of 20k
Old 01-22-22, 08:16 AM
Umar22079
Driver School Candidate

Alright guys, back on the fence and really could use some feedback or advice- So I scratched the idea of the first GS above and am looking at this one posted on Shift based on Muags350s suggestion- https://shift.com/car/2016-gray-lexus-gs-350/c184726.
Maintenance is solid, clean history, low mileage, and salesperson told me they just put fresh tires on so added perk. Only piece of information I couldn't get a hold of was the trim level (ML audio, triple beam package etc etc.) what's the best indicator to know what trim level you're looking at?

Here is the other dilemma/consideration. The car is $33.5 "otd". I increased my budget on this purchase since I realized the GS market was just way higher than I understood it to be. $33.5 was a figure I was comfortable with, but after talking with the Shift rep, I've found out that there aren't any Shift hubs on the east coast and I'll be looking at about $2100 in shipping costs to my house (i'm in northern VA, car is in Oregon). That's a total of $35,700 estimated otd. Ironically, even with the shipping included, its the most competitive price i've come across so far since most other '16s are floating around the same or higher that have more miles and in some cases damage or accident history.

I guess my question here is, is this car worth the price and is it ideal to break the budget a bit more to get something I know is solid vs taking a slightly riskier approach to save a few $$ (higher mileage, damage history, lack of records, etc.)? Budget wise, I know i'll have to sell off my w124 and possibly even my e34 to make up some of the difference but with this purchase, I suppose I look at it more so as an investment being a Lexus. I hardly drive about 50 miles a week and will be driving this next car into the ground if it allows me to.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Old 01-22-22, 08:33 AM
tomex77
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Alright guys, back on the fence and really could use some feedback or advice-So I scratched the idea of the first GS above and am looking at this one posted on Shift based on Muags350s suggestion- https://shift.com/car/2016-gray-lexus-gs-350/c184726.
Maintenance is solid, clean history, low mileage, and salesperson told me they just put fresh tires on so added perk. Only piece of information I couldn't get a hold of was the trim level (ML audio, triple beam package etc etc.) what's the best indicator to know what trim level you're looking at?

Here is the other dilemma/consideration. The car is $33.5 "otd". I increased my budget on this purchase since I realized the GS market was just way higher than I understood it to be. $33.5 was a figure I was comfortable with, but after talking with the Shift rep, I've found out that there aren't any Shift hubs on the east coast and I'll be looking at about $2100 in shipping costs to my house (i'm in northern VA, car is in Oregon). That's a total of $35,700 estimated otd. Ironically, even with the shipping included, its the most competitive price i've come across so far since most other '16s are floating around the same or higher that have more miles and in some cases damage or accident history.

I guess my question here is, is this car worth the price and is it ideal to break the budget a bit more to get something I know is solid vs taking a slightly riskier approach to save a few $$ (higher mileage, damage history, lack of records, etc.)? Budget wise, I know i'll have to sell off my w124 and possibly even my e34 to make up some of the difference but with this purchase, I suppose I look at it more so as an investment being a Lexus. I hardly drive about 50 miles a week and will be driving this next car into the ground if it allows me to.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
I'd pay a little more for the piece of mind. The clean history also helps if you ever decide to sell the car down the road. Potential buyers might not be willing to overlook the history as you are.
greys0uled (01-22-22)
Old 01-22-22, 09:22 AM
Umar22079
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tomex77
I'd pay a little more for the piece of mind. The clean history also helps if you ever decide to sell the car down the road. Potential buyers might not be willing to overlook the history as you are.
Agreed on this point for sure. My other consideration is that going this route, if for any reason my financial situation changed or I deemed the car unaffordable and needed to sell, a low mileage and clean record Lexus would be absolute best case scenario for resale.
Old 01-22-22, 09:36 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

I would never buy a used car online without inspecting it in person. Neighbor sold her dads late model Traverse to Carvana which sat outside it's whole life. It looked decent overall but I can only imagine how rusty the underside is. I know a lot of people shop this way but it's too risky IMO.
Old 01-22-22, 09:56 AM
tomex77
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
I would never buy a used car online without inspecting it in person. Neighbor sold her dads late model Traverse to Carvana which sat outside it's whole life. It looked decent overall but I can only imagine how rusty the underside is. I know a lot of people shop this way but it's too risky IMO.
I see your point but it's really not that risky buying a 5-6 year old car with 40k miles. You can always ask the dealer to record a very good video of the vehicle. That's what I did, turned out exactly as seen on video.
greys0uled (01-22-22)
Old 01-22-22, 10:00 AM
Umar22079
Driver School Candidate

So i've been reading conflicting reviews both from Carvana and Shift.

My plan would be to immediately get a PPI at a Lexus soon as I take possession of it, that way if there are any issues with the car I'll be covered by the 7 day money back as well 100 day warranty. I've test-driven a few 16+ GS's already so no real need to test drive the car as long as it's in the condition and shape they say its in. So overall, I'm thinking minimal risk from that standpoint but that might be wishful thinking .

Quick Reply: Thoughts on buying this 2016 GS Fsport?