So surprised how much I love my GS!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-22, 01:07 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I totally understand!

As I've said on here before (so sorry for repeating it), I always lease because I get tired of a car after about 2 years. I leased a 2014 IS350 but upgraded to a leased 2015 GS350 a year and a half later. That GS was the first car I've ever leased that I didn't want to part with when the lease was over. Buyout wasn't good, so I purchased (not leased!) a 2019 GS350. Loved that car but had made a mistake on the color choice, so I swapped it out for one of the last 2020 GS350s on the lot. So after never being happy in the same car for more than 2-3 years, I am now about 7 years in with the GS and they are just fantastic cars.

The throttle sensitivity thing is a real issue, but over time you learn these cars and just how to extract the most rewarding performance.

I've also posted this article before. It's old, from 2012, but I feel that they perfectly describe the best attributes of the GS and sum up the driving experience perfectly.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/s...luxury-sedans/

Enjoy your GS! And post pictures! We love pictures!
Isn't that a Lexus thing? My 98 SC would hesitate before it took off when I slammed the gas pedal.
Old 01-21-22, 01:09 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
LOL! That was me as well when I got my 2015, then my 2018. I can’t tell you how many times my kids have looked at me, shaking their heads… lol
My kids joke that I love the car more than I love them..lol
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (01-21-22)
Old 01-21-22, 02:12 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I have a Tune that greatly increases the Throttle response to almost instant. I love it, what a difference it makes eliminating that delayed wait. I hated the delay, it sucked.

If you can get the Lexus and Toyota shop, or you have Tech Stream you can reset the Throttle Position Sensor. It does learn and if your reset and nail it after you will feel a difference. This I confirmed and was shown by a Certified Lexus Tech. It's no where near as much as the Tune Throttle sensitivity calibration mapping adjustment, but it does reset and relearn.
Old 01-21-22, 02:25 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

The attachment to the GS is funny - the car grows on you more and more, mainly because it hits most of the marks and does most things very well.

As you own it longer term, you realize how reliable it is and how you might not have thought you'd get into the luxury category, reliable, sporty, midsized RWD-biased for such a good overall price/value proposition compared to its competition. I want to get an SUV but I can't bring myself to part with my fairly low mileage GS!

It's been so trouble free and a pleasure to drive, it may be one of the few cars i'd try to keep around even if I only drove it on weekends.

Old 01-21-22, 02:26 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Oh yeah this sounds interesting. How much did it cost you?
Old 01-21-22, 02:41 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Default couple pics

Washed her this morning so here's a couple pics of her looking pretty spic and span.

Several small dings but they're pretty hard to see unless you look hard. I am happy with the color I got although I've always preferred white cars.

The following 2 users liked this post by gs350noob:
greys0uled (01-21-22), jeverett72 (01-21-22)
Old 01-24-22, 01:40 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 153 Posts

My first experience with a 4GS was actually at New Jersey Motorsports Park in a GS-F. Prior to that I had put somewhere around 3000 miles in a 3IS, which is a lovely car, but the seat bottoms are just far too narrow for my tree trunk thighs. The GS-F felt barely any heavier than the IS, but with the benefit of a longer wheelbase, which made me start seriously considering the GS350. The GS-F was something else, and I'd love to have one some day, but I would run into the same issue with the seat bottoms and, unfortunately, after 5 years with my Mustang, I learned that a RWD daily is not for me, even with aggressive studded snow tires. Too many sketchy hill starts to get home.

About a year later I was given a 2017 GS350 AWD Premium as a loaner. That experience really sold me on a GS. The car was the right size, with a modicum of steering feel, the same power and moderate transmission response as the 3IS, and decent handling dynamics save for the float. I predicted that the AVS shocks would resolve the handling issues to my liking. Thankfully, I was not wrong. The seats are will fitted to my size, with the adjustable side bolsters and extendable seat bottom. I have tight, touge style roads with decent elevation change near me and my car handles them much better than it has any right to. I wish it was lower with slightly stiffer springs, I wish the steering wheel was smaller (both things I may rectify in the future), but every time I get out of the car, I mutter to myself "I really like this thing."

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 01-24-22 at 01:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (01-24-22)
Old 01-24-22, 02:00 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by panyo64
My first experience with a 4GS was actually at New Jersey Motorsports Park in a GS-F. Prior to that I had put somewhere around 3000 miles in a 3IS, which is a lovely car, but the seat bottoms are just far too narrow for my tree trunk thighs. The GS-F felt barely any heavier than the IS, but with the benefit of a longer wheelbase, which made me start seriously considering the GS350. The GS-F was something else, and I'd love to have one some day, but I would run into the same issue with the seat bottoms and, unfortunately, after 5 years with my Mustang, I learned that a RWD daily is not for me, even with aggressive studded snow tires. Too many sketchy hill starts to get home.

About a year later I was given a 2017 GS350 AWD Premium as a loaner. That experience really sold me on a GS. The car was the right size, with a modicum of steering feel, the same power and moderate transmission response as the 3IS, and decent handling dynamics save for the float. I predicted that the AVS shocks would resolve the handling issues to my liking. Thankfully, I was not wrong. The seats are will fitted to my size, with the adjustable side bolsters and extendable seat bottom. I have tight, touge style roads with decent elevation change near me and my car handles them much better than it has any right to. I wish it was lower with slightly stiffer springs, I wish the steering wheel was smaller (both things I may rectify in the future), but every time I get out of the car, I mutter to myself "I really like this thing."
Nice! I hear some people on hear with negative impressions on the seats. I have issues sitting for a long time because it makes my lower back stiff sometimes, and these seats are really good for me in that respect. I drove a couple of older ES's before buying the GS and I really liked how those seats felt when you first sit in them (softer/plusher than the GS), but I think my seats are more supportive and I like the side bolsters as well. I do wish they went a little lower.