GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Pedal dance

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-23, 01:21 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,358 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Originally Posted by SBPhoto
The computers will still kick in sometimes with the button press only, Ive had a warning come up that says. "1st gear unavailable, slippery surface". The pedal dance is not common knowledge because they dont want you to actually turn off everything in terms of safety controls.
I have had my 13 GS350 for a long time. Before that had a GS460. I have known about the Pedal Dance a long, long time ago and have tried it well before this thread. I just though it was a Dumb thing to do in my case, when all I had to do was hold the Trac button down to get it to disable 100%.

I only tried again today to do a back to back same place comparo is all. Not a whole lot I don't know about my GS. Everything on my cars is Modded slightly different for my own taste and some mods I have tried 2-3 times to come up with the results I want. I trial lots of stuff.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (04-27-23)
Old 04-27-23, 01:37 PM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Received 201 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I have had my 13 GS350 for a long time. Before that had a GS460. I have known about the Pedal Dance a long, long time ago and have tried it well before this thread. I just though it was a Dumb thing to do in my case, when all I had to do was hold the Trac button down to get it to disable 100%.

I only tried again today to do a back to back same place comparo is all. Not a whole lot I don't know about my GS. Everything on my cars is Modded slightly different for my own taste and some mods I have tried 2-3 times to come up with the results I want. I trial lots of stuff.
It does work most of the time, I was going through a drive through and I think the ground was a little wet, and the lane curved and gained altitude so rolling up it the inner rear wheel lifted and spun (at a crawling speed). I had been driving with the TC off from the long press. The car still disabled first gear completely from that particular traction loss for about 10 min. Most times the long press works but in a few cases for me at least theres still been some kind of safety system in play.

Old 04-27-23, 02:24 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

First of all I don't think with that situation the car should have lost 1st gear for 10mins. lol! Mine works for me always.
I think some just like to Dance is all.
Old 04-27-23, 03:41 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

So I was raining here today. So I went to a lot and tried both ways. With the button pressed, my car went to Traction control at no time ever, Did the pedal dance and at no point did Traction come either. End result was the same both ways. I kinda already knew this from experience with my GS on the button disable. I mean I ripped tires from gear to gear and bounced the 7000rpm rev limiter.

A few things here: So be aware that when you do the Pedal Dance, you get the same Disable message and lights as the Button. Both end up indicating Disable on the dash lights. IDK if your cars are different (2013 = 6speed, & no AWD system)? Giving the benefits of difference also, I have the D3 Tune. I talked to the Tuner one day about overcoming the TB opening limitations. He told me he had already overcome that in the Tune to aid in reducing TB opening restrictions. Maybe this is why? IDK??

Lets make sure we are on the same page. Pedal Dance has the white Trac OFF middle Dash light on and the Button left Yellow Car Trac light on when held. Pedal Dance ends up the same thing. Now when I did donuts with NO Button and/or No pedal dance, the Tracs light lit up, blinked, stayed on one time and just kept kicking in. Also one other thing I thought about is I am doing in Sport + mode only. I forgot dang it to try in NON Sport + mode. Anyway that what I did, how I did it back to back 2 different times, and that's what I got with my 13 GS350. Maybe me and my GS350 are just not as smart to override the defeat as others GS350's are. IDK??? When I hold the Button the indicator says all off and the Tires and lack of intervention, and lack of any warning lights say No. I likely just cooked 2/10's of Tread off the rear tires today.

PS: Just thought about one more thing, my Rear Tires and wheels are RC F wheels with 285/35/19 Tires. Maybe the tire diameters or size is throwing the Traction control computer measures off for wheel spin? Again... IDK? I give up.
Hmm I wouldn't think that the modifications you've made would really affect how the traction control works but I'm no expert there. So just to be 100% clear you are basically saying you successfully got the light to come on with the pedal dance but it doesn't behave at all differently from the 10 second hold? Interesting that our experiences are so different, I found it alarmingly easy to move the back end around (even on dry pavement) after the dance, much more than I had ever experienced in the considerable time I've spent in sport + and doing the 10 second hold.

FYI I have a 2013 F Sport RWD and no rear wheel steering so very similar to your set up which I believe is Luxury pkg with RWD? My back tires are Pilot Sport All Season 4's and are not new but nowhere near worn out either. Maybe your car is just so ballsy it overcomes the last of the traction control while my paltry stock set up cannot. LOL.

I'm gonna mess around with it in a few days see if I have any new revelations.

Old 04-27-23, 05:29 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gs350noob
Hmm I wouldn't think that the modifications you've made would really affect how the traction control works but I'm no expert there. So just to be 100% clear you are basically saying you successfully got the light to come on with the pedal dance but it doesn't behave at all differently from the 10 second hold? Interesting that our experiences are so different, I found it alarmingly easy to move the back end around (even on dry pavement) after the dance, much more than I had ever experienced in the considerable time I've spent in sport + and doing the 10 second hold.

FYI I have a 2013 F Sport RWD and no rear wheel steering so very similar to your set up which I believe is Luxury pkg with RWD? My back tires are Pilot Sport All Season 4's and are not new but nowhere near worn out either. Maybe your car is just so ballsy it overcomes the last of the traction control while my paltry stock set up cannot. LOL.

I'm gonna mess around with it in a few days see if I have any new revelations.
Yes light on with pedal dance no different than 10 sec button hold. Rear stood still, then went sideways, bounce off Rev limiter, shifted gear and so on. Same way either time. I was told by someone that with Trac off it does allow the TB to open more fully through out the whole Rev range.

So just for the record I 100% believe you guys. Let me understand something being described here? So in your comparison are you saying with the 10 sec Trac button hold, when you spin out, is your Trac light indicator showing it's activating and decelerating your rear wheels? Blinking? Where as with pedal dance it won't ever do that?

Or you saying you can just feel the rear wheels continue to spin harder with pedal dance activated than with the button hold?
Old 04-29-23, 10:33 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Yes light on with pedal dance no different than 10 sec button hold. Rear stood still, then went sideways, bounce off Rev limiter, shifted gear and so on. Same way either time. I was told by someone that with Trac off it does allow the TB to open more fully through out the whole Rev range.

So just for the record I 100% believe you guys. Let me understand something being described here? So in your comparison are you saying with the 10 sec Trac button hold, when you spin out, is your Trac light indicator showing it's activating and decelerating your rear wheels? Blinking? Where as with pedal dance it won't ever do that?

Or you saying you can just feel the rear wheels continue to spin harder with pedal dance activated than with the button hold?
Driving around lately in this GS has made me realize how intrusive the system is. I was so used to the IS-F ECU. Though with the IS-F ecu you didn't really have to disable the system, and still have fun in the corners. Breaking traction it takes way longer before it's cutting power.

It's doubtful I'll get a GSF ECU anytime soon. For now I'll just continue to scour the internet for a photo.

Old 04-29-23, 03:54 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Haven't had much chance to drive it like an idiot last several days.

I've only seen the light flash on the dash a few times driving the car, I feel like it cuts power before that happens. Am I crazy or should it flash the light every time you break loose? Mine doesn't always seem to do that.

I've only had it force me to start in 2nd gear once, when I was pulling off a gravel shoulder and goosed the throttle a bit too much. It went back to normal immediately in that situation from what I could tell.
Im2bz2p345 (05-01-23)
Old 04-29-23, 05:14 PM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Received 201 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350noob
Haven't had much chance to drive it like an idiot last several days.

I've only seen the light flash on the dash a few times driving the car, I feel like it cuts power before that happens. Am I crazy or should it flash the light every time you break loose? Mine doesn't always seem to do that.

I've only had it force me to start in 2nd gear once, when I was pulling off a gravel shoulder and goosed the throttle a bit too much. It went back to normal immediately in that situation from what I could tell.
I'm glad someone else has experienced that besides me in this thread... I was starting to think I was crazy.
Im2bz2p345 (05-01-23)
Old 05-02-23, 02:19 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Driving around lately in this GS has made me realize how intrusive the system is. I was so used to the IS-F ECU. Though with the IS-F ecu you didn't really have to disable the system, and still have fun in the corners. Breaking traction it takes way longer before it's cutting power.

It's doubtful I'll get a GSF ECU anytime soon. For now I'll just continue to scour the internet for a photo.
So the GS F is a 8 speed. The 13 RWD is a 6 speed, what you have now correct? You think it will swap?

Instead with the IS350 6speed Trans ECU which is more aggressive than the GS350 ECU 6speed. Do you think the iS350 6 to GS350 6speed would be plug and play?
Old 05-02-23, 02:50 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

So the GS F is a 8 speed. The 13 RWD is a 6 speed, what you have now correct? You think it will swap?

Instead with the IS350 6speed Trans ECU which is more aggressive than the GS350 ECU 6speed. Do you think the iS350 6 to GS350 6speed would be plug and play?
Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say the GS-F steering ECU. I'm stating has anyone even tried it on here. Just pondering if it would be a straight drop in similar to what the 2nd gen ISx50's using the IS-F steering ecu's. Which in turn were 3 different part numbers in the end 40,41,42 versions.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ering-ecu.html

Old 05-04-23, 11:36 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Those that did burnouts on their GS, was it a one-wheel burnout or both wheels? Just curious and no, I won't even try doing it with mine, those 4S tires are too expensive.
Old 05-04-23, 01:06 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Those that did burnouts on their GS, was it a one-wheel burnout or both wheels? Just curious and no, I won't even try doing it with mine, those 4S tires are too expensive.
ItzFilyO (05-04-23)
Old 05-04-23, 01:23 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Okay, so it's both wheels, that's good to know.

Those wheels look heavy!
Old 05-04-23, 01:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Old 05-04-23, 01:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Quick Reply: Pedal dance