GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Pedal dance

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-22, 10:16 AM
TurnerS
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Pedal dance

I was recently watching videos on how to do the “Lexus pedal dance” and most involved you using a parking brake. Mine on my 2013 GS 350 is electronic so I was wondering if you could still do the pedal dance and how to do it? Thanks.
Old 01-22-22, 10:30 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 551 Likes on 400 Posts

What is a pedal dance?
Old 01-22-22, 10:31 AM
TurnerS
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
What is a pedal dance?
it is a movement of pedals to fully disable traction control
Old 01-22-22, 12:15 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Just hold the Button for 10 secs standing still. Cuts all off, till you restart again. Not sure pedal dance will work on even a GS350 w/o the Auto brake.
Old 04-26-23, 01:21 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Just hold the Button for 10 secs standing still. Cuts all off, till you restart again. Not sure pedal dance will work on even a GS350 w/o the Auto brake.
Wanted to resuscitate this thread because I just did it in my '13 F Sport. A friend has an RC and told me to try it. There's a guy on youtube with a GS F who goes over the process. It's pretty simple and definitely does more than just holding the button down 10 seconds.

I didn't do much, certainly nothing crazy like a brake stand or donuts, but it seems like you could if you wanted to. Car still won't lose traction if you stomp with the wheels straight, but you can definitely make the back wheels kick out now. On pavement that's even a little wet it's very easy to make the wheels bark.

Here's the video that shows how to do it. It's not hard. Just do the routine fairly quickly, if you do it too slowly it doesn't work.

Here's the link. Please nobody do anything stupid and wreck their car.

Old 04-26-23, 07:19 AM
ViperTim
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350noob
Wanted to resuscitate this thread because I just did it in my '13 F Sport. A friend has an RC and told me to try it. There's a guy on youtube with a GS F who goes over the process. It's pretty simple and definitely does more than just holding the button down 10 seconds.

I didn't do much, certainly nothing crazy like a brake stand or donuts, but it seems like you could if you wanted to. Car still won't lose traction if you stomp with the wheels straight, but you can definitely make the back wheels kick out now. On pavement that's even a little wet it's very easy to make the wheels bark.

Here's the video that shows how to do it. It's not hard. Just do the routine fairly quickly, if you do it too slowly it doesn't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Vrs-EJf4k
Jeez what a stupid procedure.
I’d rather just fire up another car and do a burnout with that one instead…
The following 2 users liked this post by ViperTim:
gaki (04-26-23), jgscott (04-26-23)
Old 04-26-23, 08:05 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Vrs-EJf4k
The YT did not work for me. Ok, if you hold the Trac button for 10 sec's or less both lights come on on my car indicating Full Traction is OFF. My 13 will do a complete burn out, and/or lose Traction at any condition that I nail the accelerator. Sometimes even at Gear shifts up to even 3rd or 4th gear. There is then no control by the car to stop wheel spin. Not sure why you think holding the button does not work instead of this Pedal Dance dumb procedure?
Old 04-26-23, 09:02 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

The YT did not work for me. Ok, if you hold the Trac button for 10 sec's or less both lights come on on my car indicating Full Traction is OFF. My 13 will do a complete burn out, and/or lose Traction at any condition that I nail the accelerator. Sometimes even at Gear shifts up to even 3rd or 4th gear. There is then no control by the car to stop wheel spin. Not sure why you think holding the button does not work instead of this Pedal Dance dumb procedure?
Hmm interesting I definitely noticed a considerable difference.

It literally takes 20 seconds so I'm not sure it's really "dumb", but my schedule is probably not as full as some people on here LOL.

The following users liked this post:
PANICiii (02-20-24)
Old 04-26-23, 09:33 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

One user mentioned exactly what you stated @jgscott :

"You really don't need the pedal dance for a burnout. So far I've drifted my ISF with just a long press of the TC. 07 models and lower of lexus requires the pedal dance. The F cars that are after that model year can have full TC disabled with a long press of the TC button. Car does have to be stationary though."

In response, Bullets Garage mentions:
"That is not true the 2015 and up rcf and 2016 n up gsf have a way more advanced traction system and it needs the pedal dance to be able to do a burnout without the car then defaulting to second gear starts cuz u did a burn out. That defeats the purpose if you are on a drag strip."

Pretty crazy way to disable TC completely! This makes me nostalgic as it reminds me trying to enter the "Konami Code" aka Contra code on NES:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkSYX0N07CQ
~ im2bz2p345
jgscott (04-26-23)
Old 04-26-23, 11:04 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Hmm interesting I definitely noticed a considerable difference.

It literally takes 20 seconds so I'm not sure it's really "dumb", but my schedule is probably not as full as some people on here LOL.

There are 2 setting of the Traction Control. Holding the Button 10 sec's disables BOTH. Disables Traction completly! I'm not sure what would be diffrent? Another little known fact is that Disabling also allows the TB to open more fully much more even when not spinning al the wat throught to Redline. This info was given to me by 2 Tuners who had done 100's of hours on Lexus vehicals monitoring TB opennings and Dyno results. The IS350 forum also did alot of Mapping and Data logging with Intake CFM, TB Opening percentage and Air Temp and much more. It's in 2-3 diffrent Threads there. Making the changes then saying I don't think, and/or ,I think without the time and measures is useless.

Also Bullets Garage is Dead wrong about the long press not working. I have driven many of the iSF's, and 1 or 2 GS F's. Hold the button, turn off, my car and thiers will standstill spinning wheels. It will also lose Traction past 3-4 Gear if the condition is right. im2bz2p345 is correct. If you don't have the experience with RWD and your foot and self being the Tracion control, you are at risk. I would tell anyone in the Atl area to come line up against my GS350 ad see what happens. But right now I am fighing a MAF code for Too much Air due to many Intake change. I will have it resloved soon and maybe we can get some Vid of this vs that, of course we would have to drive to Mexico to run though.

In fact my Freind Alex just sold his GS350 for a GS F. I'm going to ask him to carefully verifiy the Hold button for you Guys. Remember this.... if you just press the Button once part of Traction is still on. A long 5-10sec press = All of Trancition turned off, until the engine is shut off, or the Button is pressed to turn it back on.
Old 04-26-23, 01:48 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

I suppose it's all sort of silly because my car is not tuned and I definitely don't want to race anybody. Just something interesting to talk about.

The lights on the dash do behave differently if you do the dance thing, and you can no longer get the light to go off by pressing the button on the dash again, it stays on until you turn the car off and restart. There's one turn near me with a good bank and sight line where I feel safe really wrapping the car around the corner and trying to get the tires to kick out. If feels to me like the car still takes control after a brief loss of traction, even after I am in sport + and have held down the button for 10 seconds. I'll try it one day after doing the dance and see if it feels different.

Although I definitely would defer to JG as he has messed with this car a lot and is more familiar, it didn't seem like a placebo effect to me between doing the dance and holding the button down. It even felt like the small stumble I feel when you floor it from a dead stop is less pronounced.

Interested to see what his buddy with the GSF has to say.
The following 2 users liked this post by gs350noob:
Im2bz2p345 (04-26-23), jgscott (04-26-23)
Old 04-26-23, 03:09 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I understand. I have broken loose the Rears many a time. Do you see the Trac light blink, and/or the RPM's decrease when it breaks loose and you feel the car trying to take control back over???? If it was, you should and would see this I think. Interesting though. I may try the Pedal Dance soon to see vs Tran button off. I just know after and for so long that when I turn off with the button, I never have any Traction control kick in. It's all on me and my right foot. Anyway is good that you posted this.

One day a Member here who has a 15 GS350 with RR Headers, and Tune, drove my car and I drove his following him. We went into 2nd gear about 25mph turn and he nailed my car, it went straight sideway in front of me. He got back control, we pulled over a his eyes were wide open scared. I told him Trac was off. He said Wow. Being behind him he scared the crap out of me too. We got back going playing around but i got back in my own GS. Kinda cool though watching you own GS completely sideways in front of you. Like someone else said - be careful if you drive it real hard.

Never said this before but my friend and I with the 15 also ran down a exit ramp side by side start. My car walked away, but the strange thing was, my GS shifted gears first each time before his 8spped did. I was kinda mystified as to why my 6speed shifted before his 8 speed? Still neither of us has figured it out as we have tried it again a few times, and the same thing happens. His RR Tune shifts at 7200rmp's. My D3 Tunes shifts at 6800, maybe that's why but IDK? I also had Trac OFF, and he did not. I would have thought the 8speed Trans would have shifted 1st. To be fair though, I have other Mods he does not have. I'll let him post if he wants about all that happened.
Im2bz2p345 (04-26-23)
Old 04-26-23, 03:25 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

I understand. I have broken loose the Rears many a time. Do you see the Trac light blink, and/or the RPM's decrease when it breaks loose and you feel the car trying to take control back over???? If it was, you should and would see this I think. Interesting though. I may try the Pedal Dance soon to see vs Tran button off. I just know after and for so long that when I turn off with the button, I never have any Traction control kick in. It's all on me and my right foot. Anyway is good that you posted this.

One day a Member here who has a 15 GS350 with RR Headers, and Tune, drove my car and I drove his following him. We went into 2nd gear about 25mph turn and he nailed my car, it went straight sideway in front of me. He got back control, we pulled over a his eyes were wide open scared. I told him Trac was off. He said Wow. Being behind him he scared the crap out of me too. We got back going playing around but i got back in my own GS. Kinda cool though watching you own GS completely sideways in front of you. Like someone else said - be careful if you drive it real hard.

Never said this before but my friend and I with the 15 also ran down a exit ramp side by side start. My car walked away, but the strange thing was, my GS shifted gears first each time before his 8spped did. I was kinda mystified as to why my 6speed shifted before his 8 speed? Still neither of us has figured it out as we have tried it again a few times, and the same thing happens. His RR Tune shifts at 7200rmp's. My D3 Tunes shifts at 6800, maybe that's why but IDK? I also had Trac OFF, and he did not. I would have thought the 8speed Trans would have shifted 1st. To be fair though, I have other Mods he does not have. I'll let him post if he wants about all that happened.
Yes check it out let me know what you find that would be cool. It's really not that hard to get the car into the mode, just do the routine pretty quickly and you should get it in a couple tries.
Old 04-27-23, 12:28 PM
SBPhoto
Pit Crew

Received 202 Likes on 76 Posts

The computers will still kick in sometimes with the button press only, Ive had a warning come up that says. "1st gear unavailable, slippery surface". The pedal dance is not common knowledge because they dont want you to actually turn off everything in terms of safety controls.
Old 04-27-23, 01:08 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

So I was raining here today. So I went to a lot and tried both ways. With the button pressed, my car went to Traction control at no time ever, Did the pedal dance and at no point did Traction come either. End result was the same both ways. I kinda already knew this from experience with my GS on the button disable. I mean I ripped tires from gear to gear and bounced the 7000rpm rev limiter.

A few things here: So be aware that when you do the Pedal Dance, you get the same Disable message and lights as the Button. Both end up indicating Disable on the dash lights. IDK if your cars are different (2013 = 6speed, & no AWD system)? Giving the benefits of difference also, I have the D3 Tune. I talked to the Tuner one day about overcoming the TB opening limitations. He told me he had already overcome that in the Tune to aid in reducing TB opening restrictions. Maybe this is why? IDK??

Lets make sure we are on the same page. Pedal Dance has the white Trac OFF middle Dash light on and the Button left Yellow Car Trac light on when held. Pedal Dance ends up the same thing. Now when I did donuts with NO Button and/or No pedal dance, the Tracs light lit up, blinked, stayed on one time and just kept kicking in. Also one other thing I thought about is I am doing in Sport + mode only. I forgot dang it to try in NON Sport + mode. Anyway that what I did, how I did it back to back 2 different times, and that's what I got with my 13 GS350. Maybe me and my GS350 are just not as smart to override the defeat as others GS350's are. IDK??? When I hold the Button the indicator says all off and the Tires and lack of intervention, and lack of any warning lights say No. I likely just cooked 2/10's of Tread off the rear tires today.

PS: Just thought about one more thing, my Rear Tires and wheels are RC F wheels with 285/35/19 Tires. Maybe the tire diameters or size is throwing the Traction control computer measures off for wheel spin? Again... IDK? I give up.

Last edited by jgscott; 04-27-23 at 01:13 PM.
Im2bz2p345 (04-27-23)

Quick Reply: Pedal dance