GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-22, 08:31 PM
TurnerS
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Intake

Hello everyone, I was talking with my buddy today and I saw a video of a 2013 Lexus gs350 with a cold air intake. I also have a 13 350 and really got me wondering if I should swap out the stock intake. I have also wished the car produced more song and this seemed to be a viable option without getting into the expensive exhaust. What do you guys think is it worth it and what are some pros and cons to it? Thanks have a great day!
Old 01-24-22, 06:13 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by TurnerS
Hello everyone, I was talking with my buddy today and I saw a video of a 2013 Lexus gs350 with a cold air intake. I also have a 13 350 and really got me wondering if I should swap out the stock intake. I have also wished the car produced more song and this seemed to be a viable option without getting into the expensive exhaust. What do you guys think is it worth it and what are some pros and cons to it? Thanks have a great day!
If you like the way it looks for the money it costs, that's fine. It won't add any performance since our cars are already fitted with cold air intakes. They just aren't shiny.

It took me a long time to get used to people calling the tube from the filter to the actual intake manifold an intake. It is just a tube. As long as it isn't restrictive, there's no performance increase to changing it. You'd have to do real port work on the intake manifold and/or throttle body to see any recordable difference.
Old 01-24-22, 07:11 AM
Elbandito
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

To answer your questions... Is it worth it? That's subjective. It does definitely add a throaty note inside the cabin when you step on it. Not really noticeable otherwise during regular daily driving, and no drone to speak of. Also... not sure if you can hear any difference outside of the car, but the intake was just for me. The GS is my daily, so I went with the intake because any kind of exhaust drone is a no-go. As others have said, there are no performance gains to be had.

One thing to note... I have the Tekada intake. The stock crankcase breather hose does not align properly with the male connector on the Tekada intake tube. I had to really stretch the hose to make it fit, but the connection was not very good. As a result, the breather hose eventually popped off and threw a CEL. The simple fix was to buy a male-to-male 5/8 barbed hose connector and a spare 3-inch section of 5/8 radiator hose. I cut the 90-degree elbow (leading to the Tekada intake tube) out of the stock crankcase breather hose, and replaced it with the 3-inch section of straight hose... it fits perfectly now.

Last edited by Elbandito; 01-24-22 at 07:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mtucci3 (01-24-22)
Old 01-24-22, 02:11 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Those Intakes like the Takeda are going to cost you about $375 alone. Why not get a Cat Back you can install in the Driveway yourself.
Rev 9 makes a good quality one for a price close to the Intake itself. For reference, Rev 9 makes some great systems that the Mercedes guys like alot.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183630757064

You can then get just a Intake Pipe and drop in Stock airbox K&N filter along with the Cat Back, that would make some Grunt noise from your GS350 and provide a much better sound and actual response, for about $150 to improve, acceleration power, and throttle response. Be careful of engine mod questions and answers here. lol! Sometimes nothing could be further from the truth, stating nothing works. Its best as some of us do, to look at the IS350 and RC350 forum to ask there questions engine mods, and get experience answers.
The following users liked this post:
initial (01-24-22)
Old 05-31-22, 07:28 PM
TurnerS
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Those Intakes like the Takeda are going to cost you about $375 alone. Why not get a Cat Back you can install in the Driveway yourself.
Rev 9 makes a good quality one for a price close to the Intake itself. For reference, Rev 9 makes some great systems that the Mercedes guys like alot.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183630757064

You can then get just a Intake Pipe and drop in Stock airbox K&N filter along with the Cat Back, that would make some Grunt noise from your GS350 and provide a much better sound and actual response, for about $150 to improve, acceleration power, and throttle response. Be careful of engine mod questions and answers here. lol! Sometimes nothing could be further from the truth, stating nothing works. Its best as some of us do, to look at the IS350 and RC350 forum to ask there questions engine mods, and get experience answers.
By any chance do you have a video of the exhaust im finally deciding what I want to do haha. Thank you!