GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-22, 05:16 AM
TreysGS460
Intermediate

Received 151 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
You have a Tune and some exhaust mods if I remember correctly on you GS460 correct? Not sure if you have Headers too. I think you have done some testing on your improvement haven't you? Can you share your Mods and results of gain? Or no gains?

Have you seen this 2GR on a E85 Tune?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ne-result.html
I have headers now but havent been able to do much testing due to the first set not fitting properly and it took FOREVER to install the replacement. With the S7 tune and invidia midpipe I was able to get a 4.68 0-60. I can say my biggest limitation right now though is traction, 255s aren't cutting it.

Custom e85 tunes are great for these cars, I need a retune pretty badly.

Last edited by TreysGS460; 01-30-22 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-30-22, 09:13 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Originally Posted by TreysGS460
I have headers now but havent been able to do much testing due to the first set not fitting properly and it took FOREVER to install the replacement. With the S7 tune and invidia midpipe I was able to get a 4.68 0-60. I can say my biggest limitation right now though is traction, 255s aren't cutting it.

Custom e85 tunes are great for these cars, I need a retune pretty badly.
Nice! So what happened with the Headers? I had a GS460 myself. Still aggravated Lexus didn't put it in the 4th Gen for the Tq alone. Did your 1st set of PPE did not match up and fit? Did you not find out until you pulled the stock ones in the middle of your install? One IS350 guy had the same problem a month ago.

With tires and trial runs, and the Headers I would think you could get a 4.5 sec or better. I just got the Dragy the other day to do some before after myself. I'm working on finishing my Header install and other. So I'll see what I get sometimes soon. I got the D3 Pro Tuner which allows me to do changes myself. I have a decent Tuner here where I am in Atlanta who wants to start using the D3 Performance Tune Software for cars himself. So we talked to D3 and plan to do some Custom tuning on my car when we finish, on his Dyno with D3 support over the phone to help him. I've seen some Lexus pick up 28 ft pounds of Tq or more in the mid to low on a tune at like 3800 - 5000 rpm. That's what I kinda want to tune for in that Mid to low area also.

Too bad S7 quit Tuning, he seemed to have mastered hp out of the Tunes he did. Just FYI Dennis at D3 is right there in Texas where you are with a Dyno. He's in the Houston area. Just letting you know he could custom tune. I know you were working on someone else to tune. If he does not have the Tune yet for a certain car, most times he will tune your for free just to use a car to get the results to then offer it.

So here is another FBO and Tuned IS350 2GR that kinda backs up the performance gain with the E85 just n/a and No E85 linked below.
Lexus 3.5 V6 2GR - FSE FBO Mods 0-60 mph = 4.64

Also just for others here some info on why Intakes are not working as well on Lexus as on other cars. It not that it work work. From my research on experimenting with intake and air flow, its the Lexus Tuned MAF that is restricting the TB opening. A few experimented with it. My car reads the same limits in opening when a larger amount of air flow is introduced. My best guess is Lexus attempt to always deliver a very smooth controlled delivery of engine power at all times. No wheels spinning and abrupt instant acceleration? But IDK? I saw some info that S7 was about to do some Tuning of the MAF to over come this, and was certain he could tune it out. But I never saw any follow up.

(SEE) - Intake

The intake pipe has been a headache for many with 2GR swaps.
https://wilhelmraceworks.com/blog/2gr-power-gains

CL Discussion of same Intake/MAF/TB opening limitation.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...l#post11038212
Old 01-30-22, 06:14 PM
TreysGS460
Intermediate

Received 151 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Nice! So what happened with the Headers? I had a GS460 myself. Still aggravated Lexus didn't put it in the 4th Gen for the Tq alone. Did your 1st set of PPE did not match up and fit? Did you not find out until you pulled the stock ones in the middle of your install? One IS350 guy had the same problem a month ago.

With tires and trial runs, and the Headers I would think you could get a 4.5 sec or better. I just got the Dragy the other day to do some before after myself. I'm working on finishing my Header install and other. So I'll see what I get sometimes soon. I got the D3 Pro Tuner which allows me to do changes myself. I have a decent Tuner here where I am in Atlanta who wants to start using the D3 Performance Tune Software for cars himself. So we talked to D3 and plan to do some Custom tuning on my car when we finish, on his Dyno with D3 support over the phone to help him. I've seen some Lexus pick up 28 ft pounds of Tq or more in the mid to low on a tune at like 3800 - 5000 rpm. That's what I kinda want to tune for in that Mid to low area also.

Too bad S7 quit Tuning, he seemed to have mastered hp out of the Tunes he did. Just FYI Dennis at D3 is right there in Texas where you are with a Dyno. He's in the Houston area. Just letting you know he could custom tune. I know you were working on someone else to tune. If he does not have the Tune yet for a certain car, most times he will tune your for free just to use a car to get the results to then offer it.
The first set they sent, the install went fine, but we noticed that the steering column was resting on the drivers side header, and was rubbing a bit. PPE is awesome, they sent a new redesigned D side header in about a month and half, but due to school, covid, and no one in cali wanting to touch a header equipped car, took many months before install, but I got it done last week and the new one has no issues!

4.5 seems reasonable eventually, I'm really interested to see how much my 60-130 improves now with the headers and ISF TCM. I was pretty much neck and neck with Davids 06 350 you posted about, when he had headers, intake and full exhaust, not to mention about -400 lbs on me. I hope to be closer to his e30 weight loss times.

I'm in school in Cali right now, and have spoken to Loi, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz0...h97dGibPuP447g , whos had major success on the 2UR. He does some work near me occasionally so we will see. e85 is definitely something I'd be using when I get retuned.
Old 01-30-22, 07:57 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TreysGS460
The first set they sent, the install went fine, but we noticed that the steering column was resting on the drivers side header, and was rubbing a bit. PPE is awesome, they sent a new redesigned D side header in about a month and half, but due to school, covid, and no one in cali wanting to touch a header equipped car, took many months before install, but I got it done last week and the new one has no issues!

4.5 seems reasonable eventually, I'm really interested to see how much my 60-130 improves now with the headers and ISF TCM. I was pretty much neck and neck with Davids 06 350 you posted about, when he had headers, intake and full exhaust, not to mention about -400 lbs on me. I hope to be closer to his e30 weight loss times.

I'm in school in Cali right now, and have spoken to Loi, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz0...h97dGibPuP447g , whos had major success on the 2UR. He does some work near me occasionally so we will see. e85 is definitely something I'd be using when I get retuned.
Had that problem with Header install fit, years ago on a Acura. 1/16 of a inch or less is all it takes to be a real problem. Top will pick up, but if Tuned and the Exhaust is configured right you should see some nice Mid gains too with the Headers. Didn't know you could swap the ISF TCU. Nice! I did the Trans Detent shift Mod on mine.

The E85 Tunes are that much more but the non E85's 2Gr's are doing nice times for what they are. Good luck on your Mods! Keep us posted, I do look in the 3rd GS Forum too.
Old 01-31-22, 08:31 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

Just to add to the thread, the 2GRFE found in teh ES350/Rav4/Sienna and the 2GRFSE found in the IS/GS/RC are different engines; they share the same block to a degree, but mods on a FE will not work on a FSE directly. sorry....
Old 01-31-22, 09:24 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

There is no confusion about the difference, if the point was missed. Point is, the 2GR family has potential to gain Performance in spite of what some say is not possible, by doing some simple bolt on performance modifications. There should be no denial that 30, 40, plus hp is obtainable with both the different motors. Including the FE and the GS FXS & FSE. The Head configurations and differences of the FXS & FSE does provide a little more power.

To not discredit the FE, here is one of many examples that are out there.