GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-22 | 12:57 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Default Tuning

Greetings. For my 2013 GS350 (NOT F-Sport), I was told "tuning" would increase my performance dramatically. I am not familiar with how that would impact the performance. My thought is, that horsepower is what it is, unless there is an additive like nitrous, or adding parts like turbochargers and blowers. I used to race a Chevy S - 10 pickup where a tuning module was hooked to a laptop that was designed to take power FROM the truck to allow it to hook on certain surfaces (street no prep), and turning it up as the surface evolved and could take more power. I'm not familiar with stock engines and how this would work. I would like my very BEST performance, but not sure how to get it from this car (90k miles now). The dealer shop is NOT the group to ask about this. Can anyone help? Thanks. What CAN I do....and not send the engine or transmission to the morgue? I need it as FAST as possible (with economics in mind).
Old 01-28-22 | 07:28 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by maiahsdad
Greetings. For my 2013 GS350 (NOT F-Sport), I was told "tuning" would increase my performance dramatically. I am not familiar with how that would impact the performance. My thought is, that horsepower is what it is, unless there is an additive like nitrous, or adding parts like turbochargers and blowers. I used to race a Chevy S - 10 pickup where a tuning module was hooked to a laptop that was designed to take power FROM the truck to allow it to hook on certain surfaces (street no prep), and turning it up as the surface evolved and could take more power. I'm not familiar with stock engines and how this would work. I would like my very BEST performance, but not sure how to get it from this car (90k miles now). The dealer shop is NOT the group to ask about this. Can anyone help? Thanks. What CAN I do....and not send the engine or transmission to the morgue? I need it as FAST as possible (with economics in mind).
Mostly, the tune raises the redline. If there aren't cam/head changes to get power in the upper RPM, you aren't really adding much and could actually see HP fall over by holding the RPM higher. Unless you see an apples-to-apples dyno plots of before and after results, I'd avoid them like the plague. These are very reliable, durable cars if you don't screw them up.
The following users liked this post:
maiahsdad (01-29-22)
Old 01-28-22 | 04:27 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Tuning could mean multiple things. There are bolt on that will increase performance and hp and ECU tunes. If you ask here in this GS Forum, the lack of doing it is going to always tell you cant add anything, to the same engine the IS guys add 30, 40, 50+hp to, and drop down 4.5sec 0-60 times. Look in the IS350 Forum and the IS350 Performance forum.
maiahsdad (01-29-22)
Old 01-28-22 | 06:03 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgscott
Tuning could mean multiple things. There are bolt on that will increase performance and hp and ECU tunes. If you ask here in this GS Forum, the lack of doing it is going to always tell you cant add anything, to the same engine the IS guys add 30, 40, 50+hp to, and drop down 4.5sec 0-60 times. Look in the IS350 Forum and the IS350 Performance forum.
Haha are you calling us GS owners old fuddy duddies who are just happy with a comfortable luxo cruiser (maybe even a luxo barge?) with pretty good but not great performance? B/c that's exactly what I am. My GS is bone stock and always will be while it's in my possession.
Old 01-28-22 | 06:17 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Tuning could mean multiple things. There are bolt on that will increase performance and hp and ECU tunes. If you ask here in this GS Forum, the lack of doing it is going to always tell you cant add anything, to the same engine the IS guys add 30, 40, 50+ HP to, and drop down 4.5sec 0-60 times. Look in the IS350 Forum and the IS350 Performance forum.
A tune alone is NOT going to add 50+HP. Period. Butt dynos are not proof. Something else will have to change to make it possible, be it cams, head porting, etc. You have to move a LOT more air through a 3.5L engine to get 50+ HP. Toyota would not leave that much HP on the table and 300+ HP from a 3.5L engine is very good output without a turbo. It is simply physics.

If you have back-to-back dyno plots, that's proof. But if the air temp is 40° cooler between the stock and the "tuned" pull, you're sniffing your own exhaust fumes. Air density makes a huge difference. Or 1/4 mile ET runs with the same car, stock and tuned will tell the tale. If that info isn't available, they can't back up their claims.
maiahsdad (01-29-22)
Old 01-28-22 | 08:32 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
A tune alone is NOT going to add 50+HP. Period. Butt dynos are not proof. Something else will have to change to make it possible, be it cams, head porting, etc. You have to move a LOT more air through a 3.5L engine to get 50+ HP. Toyota would not leave that much HP on the table and 300+ HP from a 3.5L engine is very good output without a turbo. It is simply physics.

If you have back-to-back dyno plots, that's proof. But if the air temp is 40° cooler between the stock and the "tuned" pull, you're sniffing your own exhaust fumes. Air density makes a huge difference. Or 1/4 mile ET runs with the same car, stock and tuned will tell the tale. If that info isn't available, they can't back up their claims.
No it would not for you. Do you realize th3 2GR has been being modded since 2006? The op asked:

"I'm not familiar with stock engines and how this would work. I would like my very BEST performance, but not sure how to get it from this car (90k miles now). The dealer shop is NOT the group to ask about this. Can anyone help? Thanks. What CAN I do....and not send the engine or transmission to the morgue? I need it as FAST as possible (with economics in mind)".

If you don't want to help, why do you keep giving such answers as above? The op did ask for what you gave. You contant answers leads to believe it can not be increased for performance, which is totally false. Everytime you post this in multiple threads a few here on the Forum hit me up to ask why you keep posting this every time someone ask what they can do? So I guess I'll be that guy.

So if some here ask about suspension mods, lowering, adding Carplay, wheels and what they can do? Why would someone say don't screw up the nice Lexus suspension ride and change the wheels. Or try to do anything to the infotainment that it might short out? Also, how do you think 500 - 1000hp cars measure the engine builds and mods. Ahhhhhhhh, You think they use time and, Dyno's???? Now you know better that the Dyno and 4.6 0-60 run times? Please do some homework on the 2GR n/a engine family and performance mods and results. The Toyota MR2 guys Mod the ES350 engine to over 300hp for years now. There are many IS out there too. There are many out there at 300 - 330 n/a no Turbo or other any you are saying. What... it can't cause they didn't report it back to you? lol!

Do me a favor please put me on your ignore list. Seems you Troll me with a contradiction too many post. Too many other are noticing it to. No hard feeling but it is what it is. Which performance Mods have you done, measured and tested? Please advise you experience with this 2Gr motor and what happened when you did a Performance Mod that went wrong? Thanks!

xaaronkx (06-14-24)
Old 01-28-22 | 08:35 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jeverett72
Haha are you calling us GS owners old fuddy duddies who are just happy with a comfortable luxo cruiser (maybe even a luxo barge?) with pretty good but not great performance? B/c that's exactly what I am. My GS is bone stock and always will be while it's in my possession.
Nope I am Not. Do you see a Dedicated Performance section Thread here in the 4th Gen GS Forum?

I only directed to where the op might find info on what he was asking. Anything wrong with that? That's what the Forum is for, I think.

May I suggest you 2 start a "Bone Stock Zero mods threads so we don't degrade performance question ones like this with mis information?You could have fun going into every mod/upgrade thread and telling them to leave it alone and it won't work if it aint stock. lol! You did reach out and ask right?

Start with threads like the Bone Stock clock.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-install.html

PS: Members have even modded the Clock. Hope you dont think I'm a young Guy.

Last edited by jgscott; 01-28-22 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-28-22 | 09:05 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

No it would not for you. Do you realize th3 2GR has been being modded since 2006? The op asked:

"I'm not familiar with stock engines and how this would work. I would like my very BEST performance, but not sure how to get it from this car (90k miles now). The dealer shop is NOT the group to ask about this. Can anyone help? Thanks. What CAN I do....and not send the engine or transmission to the morgue? I need it as FAST as possible (with economics in mind)".

If you don't want to help, why do you keep giving such answers as above? The op did ask for what you gave. You contant answers leads to believe it can not be increased for performance, which is totally false. Everytime you post this in multiple threads a few here on the Forum hit me up to ask why you keep posting this every time someone ask what they can do? So I guess I'll be that guy.

So if some here ask about suspension mods, lowering, adding Carplay, wheels and what they can do? Why would someone say don't screw up the nice Lexus suspension ride and change the wheels. Or try to do anything to the infotainment that it might short out? Also, how do you think 500 - 1000hp cars measure the engine builds and mods. Ahhhhhhhh, You think they use time and, Dyno's???? Now you know better that the Dyno and 4.6 0-60 run times? Please do some homework on the 2GR n/a engine family and performance mods and results. The Toyota MR2 guys Mod the ES350 engine to over 300hp for years now. There are many IS out there too. There are many out there at 300 - 330 n/a no Turbo or other any you are saying. What... it can't cause they didn't report it back to you? lol!

Do me a favor please put me on your ignore list. Seems you Troll me with a contradiction too many post. Too many other are noticing it to. No hard feeling but it is what it is. Which performance Mods have you done, measured and tested? Please advise you experience with this 2Gr motor and what happened when you did a Performance Mod that went wrong? Thanks!
All internal combustion engines are heat pumps. To get more power, you have to push more air/fuel into the engine and push more out. Physics. Raising the redline doesn't do anything if there is not additional power being generated. If the torque curve falls off, you are slowing down. Just because it will wind to 7200 doesn't mean it does any good if the cams and heads can't support it.

I'm not against tuning but the average tune on some of those websites shows a only a measly 10HP with just the tune. Two dyno pulls can vary by that much simply by letting the motor warm up more and keeping the inlet air cooler. IF (big IF) they tune it for higher octane by raising timing, they might get that 10HP. Real HP comes from real engine changes. I've built a some non-Toyota engines and experimented with many combinations. One of my current engine is close to 500HP on 87 octane but it has more torque than HP with most of the torque available from 1500 to 5500. The parts I used are dyno-proven and track-tested.

I'm not trolling you. I replied to this thread before you did. Feel free to add me to your ignore list if it bothers you for me to ask questions. I follow the science, not the marketing slicks.

This is my last post on this thread.
Old 01-29-22 | 12:29 AM
TreysGS460
Intermediate

Unfortunately As Fast As Possible on these cars isnt much unless you're spending $10k+ on a forced induction setup, like RR racings Supercharger kit, $7k, plus another $3k+ for supporting mods (FBO/ brakes/ suspension/ tires).

Lighter wheels and sticky tires are a good start, ppe headers, custom exhaust, and like you said, tune once you have at least those. RRs tune is the easiest to get, and does provide real gains, but they have terribly inconsistent CS, and QC.

If you just HAVE to have a fast GS, you could trade in for a 2015+ GSF, or even a 08+ GS460 if you like that body style and the GSF is too much. Good Luck!

Last edited by TreysGS460; 01-29-22 at 01:30 AM.
maiahsdad (01-29-22)
Old 01-29-22 | 01:26 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jeverett72
I definitely respect, and appreciate that. Autonomy is absolutely awesome!
Old 01-29-22 | 01:46 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Do you see a Dedicated Performance section Thread here in the 4th Gen GS Forum?
I searched for 1, but could not find it. So that's why I decided to ask my question here. I appreciate all of the point of view angles. And I also know that there is more than 1 way to McDonald's..... if you even eat McDonald's.
Old 01-29-22 | 05:24 AM
Cwang
Instructor

there is more than 1 way to McDonald's
That made me laugh out loud. There are a million ways to make the car handle better (not that it needs it) but this is the wrong platform to go chasing kW unless you take the forced induction route. On LS engines you can drop 4K into an exhaust, intake and tune and get 50hp, there just isn't that room to work with here.
With an intake, companies advertise modest gains from flash tunes. It's up to you to decide whether the cost per kW is worth it.
Some like the pedal signal modifiers, they say it makes the car feel faster. It's not doing anything their foot can't do but some like them.
Clean all your crap out of the boot, inflate your tyres and only fill up half of the petrol tank! Probably makes as much difference as a tune!
maiahsdad (01-29-22)
Old 01-29-22 | 09:30 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
All internal combustion engines are heat pumps. To get more power, you have to push more air/fuel into the engine and push more out. Physics. Raising the redline doesn't do anything if there is not additional power being generated. If the torque curve falls off, you are slowing down. Just because it will wind to 7200 doesn't mean it does any good if the cams and heads can't support it.

I'm not against tuning but the average tune on some of those websites shows a only a measly 10HP with just the tune. Two dyno pulls can vary by that much simply by letting the motor warm up more and keeping the inlet air cooler. IF (big IF) they tune it for higher octane by raising timing, they might get that 10HP. Real HP comes from real engine changes. I've built a some non-Toyota engines and experimented with many combinations. One of my current engine is close to 500HP on 87 octane but it has more torque than HP with most of the torque available from 1500 to 5500. The parts I used are dyno-proven and track-tested.

I'm not trolling you. I replied to this thread before you did. Feel free to add me to your ignore list if it bothers you for me to ask questions. I follow the science, not the marketing slicks.

This is my last post on this thread.
No problem I don't not want to degrade the thread as I said before. I am still waiting for anyone's data and experience ( before after Dyno, 10-60, Track, Dragy GPS measurement), of what they tried and installed that did not work, backed up by anything, else they can at least point to? As opposed to things that were done to the 2GR that work and are backed up? Many can come tag in with this does not work. Again anyone have any story to tell about actually using anything and how it did not work? I think it's a fair question of asking what experience or info or attempt you tried on the 2GR with the post you post saying it wont work on.

Now I'll talk about some facts...... The Stock GS350 IS350 and RC350, have numerous Dyno's out there on the RWD and AWD subtainting it puts out anywhere from 250 - 256 on the Dyno stock. A $550 Ebay Exhaust system complete from Headers to mid, to rear Mufflers, Intake Tube & filter, ECU Tune, can gain you roughly 295. That's 40hp gain. Going a step further to Port and clean up the lower intake Manifold gets you nother 10hp with those mods, that's 50hp gain. I just posted a thread a week ago that show a additional E85 2GR tuned that did 331 on the Dyno and a 4.6sec 0-60. Anyone can do the math from Stock to 331 what was gained? Its was backed up by the Dyno's and timed before and after runs.

Installing Headers on the 2GR, a Exhaust and Mid pipe which many have here, and a Intake pipe change is not building the internals in the motor. It's called Bolt ons. Also known as FBO Full Bolt On's. Even Porting the Intake manifold is a job most do in their Garage or send out for $150 to have done. Its takes with any skill about 30 - 45 to remove and/or install it. The recorded actual gain was a net 317hp because they actually did something and measured the result. So do the math of Stock 255hp Dyno measured to 317 = ?

Without the Intake Port FBO will get you to 295ish hp with a Tune. BTW: A good purchased Tune that works takes like a whole 5mins to Flash your ECU. Again it would be nice to see somes data of what does not work backed up by their installs and the failure with data and experience. Its just the part I always see missing. lol!

Old 01-29-22 | 09:35 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TreysGS460
Unfortunately As Fast As Possible on these cars isnt much unless you're spending $10k+ on a forced induction setup, like RR racings Supercharger kit, $7k, plus another $3k+ for supporting mods (FBO/ brakes/ suspension/ tires).

Lighter wheels and sticky tires are a good start, ppe headers, custom exhaust, and like you said, tune once you have at least those. RRs tune is the easiest to get, and does provide real gains, but they have terribly inconsistent CS, and QC.

If you just HAVE to have a fast GS, you could trade in for a 2015+ GSF, or even a 08+ GS460 if you like that body style and the GSF is too much. Good Luck!
You have a Tune and some exhaust mods if I remember correctly on you GS460 correct? Not sure if you have Headers too. I think you have done some testing on your improvement haven't you? Can you share your Mods and results of gain? Or no gains?

Have you seen this 2GR on a E85 Tune?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ne-result.html
Old 01-29-22 | 11:21 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Thanks, everyone! We'll, it doesn't seem like there's very much notice in performance overall with this engine compared to the dollars spent. I guess I'll just settle for watching Justin Swanstrom on TV race. LOL. Possibly most here has seen his car. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Tuning