GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

SO... Oil Filters...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-22, 05:40 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts
Default SO... Oil Filters...?

Surprised this hasn't come up before... the GS350 uses 2 different oil filters, specs are different for RWD vs. AWD.

When searching online or using the part finder catalogs at Advance Auto, AutoZone, etc. typically only the AWD equivalent is reflected... I found this out last night at Advance Auto. Purchased the Purolator 25609 only to find out it's too long, as was the K&N 7023 I had installed 12 months ago. I remember having a hell of a time replacing the filter housing the last time, and I chalked it up to "my first time" installing a cannister type filter. What I actually did without realizing it was squish the longer filter to make it fit. Here's the new Purolator next to the old K&N. When I went back to Advance, the Purolator and K&N were the same size out of the box. Ended up getting the Fram Titanium, the only equivalent available.

Here's the new Fram next to the squished K&N. You can see the K&N is still slightly taller.

My filter housing also does not have the drain valve, so I only use the one large O-ring. Here are what I believe are the the AWD vs. RWD oil filters next to each other. LexusPartsNow show both of these as the filters for the GS, but then I used my VIN as part of the search and only the YZZA1 was returned in the search.

Sigh... into my 50's and I realize there's still stuff out there for me to learn, and frustrations to be experienced.

The following 2 users liked this post by chinee:
gemineye (04-12-24), Knucklebus (01-29-22)
Old 01-29-22, 08:11 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

Only every owning a GS AWD, that is interesting information. I doubt you did any harm.
Old 01-29-22, 02:24 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 526 Likes on 359 Posts

Wally World carries the Toyota filters. Or Amazon. Buy a couple and keep 'em on the shelf. Easy peasy.
Old 01-29-22, 03:19 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Wally World carries the Toyota filters. Or Amazon. Buy a couple and keep 'em on the shelf. Easy peasy.
Same, I buy the Toyota ones 10 at a time.
Old 01-29-22, 06:10 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

No YZZ economy line for me!
Old 01-29-22, 07:43 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Me neither. Toyota/Lexus Genuine filters only. Nothing else has ever been on any of my Lexus. I saw them at Walmart years ago and bought like 10. I change Oil at 6.5k - 7K. No 10k changes ever, by choice!
The following 2 users liked this post by jgscott:
JeffKeryk (01-30-22), mtucci3 (01-30-22)
Old 01-30-22, 05:24 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Me neither. Toyota/Lexus Genuine filters only. Nothing else has ever been on any of my Lexus. I saw them at Walmart years ago and bought like 10. I change Oil at 6.5k - 7K. No 10k changes ever, by choice!
Not to start a debate, but I've been doing 10-12K changes on my 2002 Toyota Sequoia since 2004 or so. Just sold it last month with 340K+ miles. It was not an oil burner and the engine never gave problems. No need for shorter oil change intervals.

Over the years, I've recognized that individuals' oil brand, viscosity and drain interval choices are all about peace of mind... you do what makes you feel comfortable, I get that. I've performed oil analyses to give me that peace of mind with my choices. On my Infiniti 3.5 V6, I could not go past 6K drain intervals regardless of what type of oil brand and viscosity used, finally settled on 5K intervals with a good synthetic blend, and that engine still ran strong at 270K when I sold it.

For the most part, oil is oil and filters are filters, no significant differences. But for my peace of mind, I will likely be doing an ODI at about 6K, mainly to replace that Fram filter. It should be fine, but I've built up a little distrust of Fram... I've read too much negativity about their filters in the past.

Also, looks like I'll be going to the dealers for oil filters since there are very few sellers with OEM filters on Amazon.
Old 01-30-22, 05:58 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

I get my filters from the Toyota dealer. Lexus directly next door to them is $14 for the exact filter and Toyota is $6.
Old 01-30-22, 06:59 AM
mtucci3
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
I get my filters from the Toyota dealer. Lexus directly next door to them is $14 for the exact filter and Toyota is $6.
Forgive me ahead of time. I'm not a Toyota noob, but I am a Lexus noob. Both filters are Toyota, correct. There isn't a differentiation between "Toyota" and "Lexus" with these?

That's quite a markup and I like your idea. Owning a Lexus doesn't justify foolish spending. I'll definitely be getting my filters from Toyota if this is the case.
Old 01-30-22, 07:19 AM
charley95
Pole Position

No difference on the filters, they're the same part #. Only difference is it might say Lexus on the box which means nothing.
The following users liked this post:
mtucci3 (01-31-22)
Old 01-30-22, 09:06 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by mtucci3
Forgive me ahead of time. I'm not a Toyota noob, but I am a Lexus noob. Both filters are Toyota, correct. There isn't a differentiation between "Toyota" and "Lexus" with these?

That's quite a markup and I like your idea. Owning a Lexus doesn't justify foolish spending. I'll definitely be getting my filters from Toyota if this is the case.
I like that. I didn't get to be a Lexus owner by being a foolish spender. LOL
The following users liked this post:
mtucci3 (01-31-22)
Old 01-30-22, 10:06 AM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts

it’s not always the case. Longo Lexus has really competitive online pricing. Longo Toyota is right next door. At Toyota a filter is $4.31 and at Lexus $4.34.
Old 01-30-22, 10:19 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chinee
Not to start a debate, but I've been doing 10-12K changes on my 2002 Toyota Sequoia since 2004 or so. Just sold it last month with 340K+ miles. It was not an oil burner and the engine never gave problems. No need for shorter oil change intervals.

Over the years, I've recognized that individuals' oil brand, viscosity and drain interval choices are all about peace of mind... you do what makes you feel comfortable, I get that. I've performed oil analyses to give me that peace of mind with my choices. On my Infiniti 3.5 V6, I could not go past 6K drain intervals regardless of what type of oil brand and viscosity used, finally settled on 5K intervals with a good synthetic blend, and that engine still ran strong at 270K when I sold it.

For the most part, oil is oil and filters are filters, no significant differences. But for my peace of mind, I will likely be doing an ODI at about 6K, mainly to replace that Fram filter. It should be fine, but I've built up a little distrust of Fram... I've read too much negativity about their filters in the past.

Also, looks like I'll be going to the dealers for oil filters since there are very few sellers with OEM filters on Amazon.
Yes we have had this conversation more than a few times before. Again as you mention the Sequoia engine which is a whole different thing and if remember correctly has had years of refinements and over $200 mil put into it development. Also if we were to have the option to get real Technical. Just because it did not smoke or look bad from the outside.... its the internals that count. Many teardowns of that motor or out there at high mileage. Some ok, some not so good at all internal wise. If you were to compare a of a 340k motor with 6.5k - 7k mile oil changes with one that has had only 10k - 12k oil changes that's where you may see a difference. Without a teardown inspection, leak down, compression check and others, to say it ran ok is just only that.

Filter, I go with Toyota only on Toy/Lex. A few years ago there was compare of aftermarket vs Factory and engine oil pressure. Aftermarket was different. Especially the extra duty aftermarket ones. Look for the results on oil changes in the 2000 - 2003 Lexus ES350 motors. Lexus replaced alot of them mostly elated to the oil pressure lacking oil flow in the top on the engine. Even motors that do not compression test well, and have less that optimal leakdown still run. It's just my choice personally. I have nothing against one who does 12k OCI. Its their motor. Just not My cup of tea is all. 7k is the most I want to go. Contamination happens regardless of the Oil or filter.

BTW: I do my own oil changes. In my case doing 12k vs 7k would save me in my guesstimate $15 a year. No thanks. lol!
Old 01-30-22, 11:18 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexo98
it’s not always the case. Longo Lexus has really competitive online pricing. Longo Toyota is right next door. At Toyota a filter is $4.31 and at Lexus $4.34.
My local Lexus dealer just likes to jab the client.
Old 01-30-22, 01:10 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

My local Lexus dealer just likes to jab the client.
Yes some of them are real Stealerships..... but not all are.

FYI: The Best Oil Filter for your GS........... is actually a Quality good Filtration "Air Filter".

Last edited by jgscott; 01-30-22 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: SO... Oil Filters...?