GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

CEL P0430 / Low Oil Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-22, 02:11 PM
Tommybklyn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL P0430 / Low Oil Light

About a month ago started getting low oil warning lights coming on. Did an oil change and slightly after 2500 miles low oil warning came on so I added a quart. Waiting to see if it comes back on.
Last night I was driving in the snow when my CEL came on and today i did a code reading and it showed P0430, I cleared the code removing CEL but when doing a reading it’s still there. My 2013 GS350 is right under 120k miles , any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-29-22, 02:27 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 823 Likes on 608 Posts

The search function works really well on this site for a start anyway.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-bank-2-a.html
Old 01-29-22, 02:29 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

The oil issue is separate from the P0430 code. Are you seeing any oil leaks anywhere?

As mentioned that P0430 is an exhaust related code. See this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...and-po430.html

The simplest thing could be a loose gas cap so maybe tighten then clear the code. With that mileage, you likely have an exhaust issue (muffler, cats, O2 sensor, etc.). That will keep coming back over time if there is a real issue.
Old 01-29-22, 10:09 PM
cnc369
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

dtc p0430 is for your catalytic converter bank 2. it has nothing to do with your low oil situation. did you notice any abnormal oil leaks under the car when you changed the oil? if there are no external engine oil leaks you would need to do an oil consumption test. basically monitor the engine oil level every 1000 miles and top off the oil accordingly to full level. the total amount of oil you add until the next oil change is the consumption amount.
Old 01-30-22, 12:29 AM
JUTMSS32
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

P0430 code is, Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2). It could be the bank 2 catalytic converter, oxygen or air/fuel sensor(s) on bank 2. However, if it's related to the oil loss it could be an internal oil leak which is fouling the bank 2 sensor(s) and/or the bank 2 catalytic converter. If this is the case, you'll need to fix the oil loss before replacing the sensors or cat if those need replacing. If not, the oil loss will just foul the new sensor and/or cat. This code can also be caused by engine misfires which damage the sensors and/or catalytic converter. Hopefully your issue is a simple one and not like what I went through last year.

I had this issue with my Camry and it's the reason I'm now here with a GS350. I replaced the bank 2 catalytic converter w/manifold and then both oxygen and air/fuel sensors. the CEL eventually returned. I replaced the oxygen sensor again and the light went out only to return a short time later. I replaced a lot of other things in the exhaust system, EGR valve and tube, bank 1 cat/manifold, (P0420) flex pipe, muffler and 6 Denso spark plugs but, I had a bit of oil loss in between oil changes during this time which was something the car never did before. I kept getting the P0430. I wasted a lot of money trying to fix that code and I think my mechanics failed me. After changing the oxygen sensor for the second time and seeing the code disappear for a bit only to return. I can only believe that the oil loss which was internal, (no visual leakage on the engine, under the car or smoke from the tailpipe) was fouling the sensor and causing the code to reappear. For me, the car was a 2002 with 300k miles and not worth fixing.

This is something I came across during my trials with the P0430 code on my Camry related to oil loss: https://www.yourmechanic.com/questio...ng-oil-by-eric

Last edited by JUTMSS32; 01-30-22 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-30-22, 09:27 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommybklyn
About a month ago started getting low oil warning lights coming on. Did an oil change and slightly after 2500 miles low oil warning came on so I added a quart. Waiting to see if it comes back on.
Last night I was driving in the snow when my CEL came on and today i did a code reading and it showed P0430, I cleared the code removing CEL but when doing a reading it’s still there. My 2013 GS350 is right under 120k miles , any advice is greatly appreciated.
Ok hang on. Have you been checking the Oil level? Are you see it going low, and/or missing losing/using oil? Look at just one thing at a time. I know you said you added oil one time, but was it low? How low? The code could be a sensor or the Cat I think. Normally when it comes back on again its the Cats. Unless I'm missing something, which I do sometimes. If it were my car I would figure what's going on with the Oil?

Then I would figure the Cats. Are you using good fuel? Premium all the time? I would try some cleaning via intake and a good engine acceleration blow out ride after. Like a Seafoam intake spray in treatment. I would also run just a little Oil cleaner in it just a bit, then change the oil and filter again after I did the intake cleaning and oil flush additive, again just a little bit. Just what I would do. My car, and I think most GS, never use oil at all.
Old 01-31-22, 07:15 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Ok hang on. Have you been checking the Oil level? Are you see it going low, and/or missing losing/using oil? Look at just one thing at a time. I know you said you added oil one time, but was it low? How low? The code could be a sensor or the Cat I think. Normally when it comes back on again its the Cats. Unless I'm missing something, which I do sometimes. If it were my car I would figure what's going on with the Oil?

Then I would figure the Cats. Are you using good fuel? Premium all the time? I would try some cleaning via intake and a good engine acceleration blow out ride after. Like a Seafoam intake spray in treatment. I would also run just a little Oil cleaner in it just a bit, then change the oil and filter again after I did the intake cleaning and oil flush additive, again just a little bit. Just what I would do. My car, and I think most GS, never use oil at all.
Exactly my thought... to just add oil without checking the level is strange... maybe now the engine is overfilled with oil? That might cause a whole other set of issues.