GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Infotainment - Who cares?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-22, 06:38 PM
pd7702
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

I know its a 9 year old system at this point but I'd toss it out the window if there was an option to upgrade/replace the head unit. It's too complicated to use even for basic radio functions. The redeeming feature is that it supports iPod connection since the ML needs a wired source to really shine.

It's a damn shame considering the rest of the car is great.
Old 02-02-22, 07:02 PM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

I guess I will be in the minority and have to say I don’t mind the antiquated system. It plays the radio or when I plug the phone in to stream music. I can use the navigation when I have to. Make calls from the steering wheel controls. Hate to confirm that I want to make a call to a person I just said I wanted to call. Just call the person. I will hang up if you dial the wrong number. But that is minor. I mostly put the minute by minute gas mileage graph on the right (450h), and radio info on the main screen when not using navigation. I am sure if I drove it more on trips to new places, would probably want a more up to date system, but it is fine. For me that is. I know all the new cars tout their infotainment system and how easy it is to use. That is why I have a TV and sound bar system at home. Not why I buy a car. I don’t want to be entertained in a car, I just want to drive.
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (02-03-22)
Old 02-02-22, 07:18 PM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

The infotainment/remote touch is awful but honestly I hate the analog gauges more. Probably since I look there all the time and it always makes the car feel really outdated to me. And sucks even more that you can’t change the look of anything. I would love to have the 2016+ F gauge cluster
Old 02-02-22, 07:25 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
But now the 3rd Gen GS can do this Tesla upgrade, and it does everything!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...all-video.html

Nice! Shoutout to @MX73 who now has the 4GSh (with the Lsailt unit swapped in) for that 3GS topic! He seems to have a knack for upgrading infotainment systems

Always great to recognize a familiar username,

~ im2bz2p345
The following 2 users liked this post by Im2bz2p345:
jgscott (02-02-22), MX73 (02-03-22)
Old 02-02-22, 08:44 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Nice! Shoutout to @MX73 who now has the 4GSh (with the Lsailt unit swapped in) for that 3GS topic! He seems to have a knack for upgrading infotainment systems

~ im2bz2p345
Yes they did everything with that swap upgrade in the GS3. It's not just the Touchscreen but the capabilities seem to be limitless with the infotainment and Display screen.

This Member nailed that system too.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...p-and-dsp.html

MX73 (02-03-22)
Old 02-02-22, 11:47 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

[QUOTE=Hues10;11220232]I guess I will be in the minority and have to say I don’t mind the antiquated system. It plays the radio or when I plug the phone in to stream music. I can use the navigation when I have to. Make calls from the steering wheel controls. Hate to confirm that I want to make a call to a person I just said I wanted to call. Just call the person. I will hang up if you dial the wrong number. But that is minor. I mostly put the minute by minute gas mileage graph on the right (450h), and radio info on the main screen when not using navigation. I am sure if I drove it more on trips to new places, would probably want a more up to date system, but it is fine. For me that is. I know all the new cars tout their infotainment system and how easy it is to use. That is why I have a TV and sound bar system at home. Not why I buy a car. I don’t want to be entertained in a car, I just want to drive.[/Q

My sentiments exactly sir. I like the interior to be simple. Buttons and dials are just fine with me;
Old 02-03-22, 06:40 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345

~ im2bz2p345
Hahaha. Man, I kinda want to redo the write-up on the 3rd gen install. I think I was one of the first handfuls that bought the unit. I was so in a rush to get this out and get my opinion out on the tesla style unit. I got carplay and AA to work on that unit as well. lol. But at the time, all this was relatively new.

I like to tinker with things and there are times that my tinkering almost got both my units bricked. lol. Luckily I had great support from the person I bought the units from.

Yes they did everything with that swap upgrade in the GS3. It's not just the Touchscreen but the capabilities seem to be limitless with the infotainment and Display screen.

This Member nailed that system too.
Oh yea. We kinda work together on this. I didn't know they made a DSP version until he showed me the unit.
Old 02-03-22, 11:22 AM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Fancy infotainment is just to distract the driver on how bad the rest of the car is. That is the winning formula today.
ItzFilyO (02-03-22)
Old 02-03-22, 12:16 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

That 3GS iPad looks weird and cool at the same time.
Old 02-03-22, 12:24 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ironman50
ItzFilyO - what is the Gen 9 Nav update?
The update is mostly fixes and added Alexa.

Lexus has been updating their app for a while now and with the latest update they got rid of the standalone Enform App Suite app and integrated everything to the Lexus app.

If u have the latest Lexus app, just unpair and re-pair ur phone from the nav and it will prompt an update on the car nav and it will fix all the app problems from the old Enform App suite and make them work with the new Lexus app.
Ironman50 (02-05-22)
Old 02-03-22, 12:27 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Giving you a big ole Phone image and functions of your smartphone on the cars screen is highly popular in 2022. Especially on a 12" long screen. Running Waze on it for safety info is nice to have and safe too!
Old 02-03-22, 07:22 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Giving you a big ole Phone image and functions of your smartphone on the cars screen is highly popular in 2022. Especially on a 12" long screen. Running Waze on it for safety info is nice to have and safe too!
It would be nice to have the iphone screen miirrored on the 12" display, but I'm not ready to tear into the GS just yet to install an aftermarket Grom or similar, maybe when I start to drive more. Right now I'm settling for my Shapeways / Magsafe mount, just got to lean a little to the right to see the entire screen, no biggie. And I would die if I had to go into the infotainment everytime to adjust the AC. I like what I got.

Old 02-03-22, 09:46 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chinee
It would be nice to have the iphone screen miirrored on the 12" display, but I'm not ready to tear into the GS just yet to install an aftermarket Grom or similar, maybe when I start to drive more. Right now I'm settling for my Shapeways / Magsafe mount, just got to lean a little to the right to see the entire screen, no biggie. And I would die if I had to go into the infotainment everytime to adjust the AC. I like what I got.

Yes chinee with your help I too have the Shapeways mount in place I love where the phone sits in my car. Thanks. I think more than a few missed the point myself and others referenced about the 3rd Gen screen. It's not the Touch, its the wide options of what it can do. I read most of the 3rd Gen info upgrade, so it maybe just the fact that some did not see how far the capabilities went. As just one thing the sound system DSP speakers tuning was just one of so many things. Not just a response to you but others too. Again I think it's the capabilities of it.

In the 1st place just to set the record straight, I personally would not want to be trying to reach and touch the 4th Gen GS screen as far back and away it is. lol! Here is the thread and capabilities again.
Old 02-04-22, 06:43 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

@chinee @jgscott That phone mount location is nice. How is it attached?

And in regards to the original post, I mostly agree that the infotainment is a non-factor. I have everything set up how I want it and it is very rare that I touch the mouse. However, I got a new ES as a loaner last time I was at the dealer, and boy did that CarPlay look nice. Google maps in satellite mode in particular was awesome to have on the screen. It’s not gonna make me trade my car in or anything, but it would be really nice to have.
Old 02-04-22, 08:06 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chinee

Oooh.. it's that scooter again.
The following 3 users liked this post by ItzFilyO:
chinee (02-04-22), Im2bz2p345 (02-04-22), JDR76 (02-04-22)

Quick Reply: Infotainment - Who cares?