GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Infotainment - Who cares?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-22, 11:22 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Infotainment - Who cares?

Just wanted to say that when I was researching before buying my '13 F Sport I was almost put off by so many complaints of the awful, frustrating infotainment system. I agree the mouse system is not great and the bonk sound is kind of stupid.

However, I must say that after driving the car for a couple of months, it's a total non factor. Once I got it set up the way I want, I never use it! I use the controls on the steering wheel for the stereo and the voice control for making calls. If I want to adjust the radio I just use the **** on the dashboard. And doesn't everyone just use their cell phone for driving directions these days?

I wonder how many people have decided not to get one of these great cars just because of this silliness.
Old 01-31-22, 11:42 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

One major problem with Lexus' is they will never do an OS upgrade. The system will never get functionally any better than the day it was made. Yea they'll sell you map upgrades, but my iPhone gets 4-6 years worth of OS updates. I would understand Lexus needing to charge for it. But Lexus' mindset has always been, hey you want the new navigation features...buy a new car. Thats not the way tech works anymore.
The following 2 users liked this post by jkeller:
bob256k (02-03-22), Im2bz2p345 (02-02-22)
Old 01-31-22, 12:22 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350noob
Just wanted to say that when I was researching before buying my '13 F Sport I was almost put off by so many complaints of the awful, frustrating infotainment system. I agree the mouse system is not great and the bonk sound is kind of stupid.
However, I must say that after driving the car for a couple of months, it's a total non factor. Once I got it set up the way I want, I never use it! I use the controls on the steering wheel for the stereo and the voice control for making calls. If I want to adjust the radio I just use the **** on the dashboard. And doesn't everyone just use their cell phone for driving directions these days?
I wonder how many people have decided not to get one of these great cars just because of this silliness.
Agreed - I wasn't thrilled when I saw Lexus go from a touchscreen in the 3GS to a non-touch, mouse-based controller system. My dad's '11 GS350 has the OEM touchscreen and it works quite well. It felt like they took a step back because at the time, everything was going touchscreen from cell phones, to tablets, to ATMs, even the Garmin/aftermarket navs were all touchscreen.

However, most folks end up using their cell phone for updated map/navigation and many people have done aftermarket systems that integrate with the current OEM setup like GROM's VL2 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-installed.htm)

The 4GS is too nice a car to give up on bc of the infotainment system!
Old 01-31-22, 12:28 PM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

I may use the infotainment like twice a year to change something like the auto headlight brightness or another setting. The infotainment system is awful but never bothered me much. I’ve had no reason to use it, especially while driving. Plus I have my phone mounted right in front of it if I need to use my maps. Only time I even look at the screen is to see what song I’m on and the backup camera. I’m glad the GS has physical buttons for everything and you don’t need to rely on a screen
Old 01-31-22, 12:33 PM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

Also, technology ages incredibly fast. So any infotainment from 2013 is extremely outdated anyway. not sure why someone would turn away from the GS because of that. It’s an old system but I’m glad it doesn’t have issues with freezing/crashing like other cars did at the time. A lot of people hate that it’s not touch screen but you shouldn’t be focused or using it while driving anyway. I love how the layout of the GS interior is
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (02-02-22)
Old 01-31-22, 12:45 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Agreed - I wasn't thrilled when I saw Lexus go from a touchscreen in the 3GS to a non-touch, mouse-based controller system. My dad's '11 GS350 has the OEM touchscreen and it works quite well. It felt like they took a step back because at the time, everything was going touchscreen from cell phones, to tablets, to ATMs, even the Garmin/aftermarket navs were all touchscreen.

However, most folks end up using their cell phone for updated map/navigation and many people have done aftermarket systems that integrate with the current OEM setup like GROM's VL2 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-installed.htm)

What! The 3GS had a touchscreen...?
Old 01-31-22, 12:49 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
What! The 3GS had a touchscreen...?
Yeah, can you imagine?! The 3GS for 2006 - 2011, it was small, but at least it was touchscreen:

Old 01-31-22, 02:32 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

But now the 3rd Gen GS can do this Tesla upgrade, and it does everything!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...all-video.html

The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (02-02-22)
Old 01-31-22, 02:46 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19

Getting my GROM VL2 installed on Friday.

Last edited by jeverett72; 01-31-22 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-31-22, 02:47 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I still hate touchscreens. I have them in my Highlander and my Tundra and I HATE them! The Tundra has CarPlay, which is nice enough, but I'd still prefer remote touch.
Old 01-31-22, 02:58 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

With the latest updates for the Gen 9 nav, now all apps are working great. I have no problem with it.
Old 01-31-22, 06:31 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

The Infotainment is fine, but it should be upgradeable to Carplay and Andriod Auto. I guess that's whar Grom is?
Old 01-31-22, 06:41 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

The 2022 Lexus NX has wireless Apple carplay, but my 2013 450h already has this feature

Once you have Carplay/Android Auto the stock navigation/radio is historic technology.
Old 02-02-22, 05:30 AM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

ItzFilyO - what is the Gen 9 Nav update?
Old 02-02-22, 09:55 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

\ I agree the mouse system is not great and the bonk sound is kind of stupid.
FYI - you can set the volume of the "bonk" or even turn it off.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
Im2bz2p345 (02-02-22), JeffKeryk (02-02-22)

Quick Reply: Infotainment - Who cares?