GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Any way I can fix this little damage myself?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-22, 11:30 PM
ChickenNug
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy Any way I can fix this little damage myself?

Hey guys, I got my 2015 GS 350 F-Sport a couple of months ago! Absolutely love it!
Unfortunately, I think I need some advice on this minor damage...
It really looks fine from a little distance, but when I gave it a closer look I see some rust building up inside.
I quoted with two shops with one giving $550 and another giving $1200 : (
Also, I was wondering if taking my GS to a Toyota dealer for service would be ok...

Old 02-07-22, 01:02 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickenNug
Hey guys, I got my 2015 GS 350 F-Sport a couple of months ago! Absolutely love it!
Unfortunately, I think I need some advice on this minor damage...
It really looks fine from a little distance, but when I gave it a closer look I see some rust building up inside.
I quoted with two shops with one giving $550 and another giving $1200 : (
Also, I was wondering if taking my GS to a Toyota dealer for service would be ok...
That's surface rust, from were the paint chipped off. If you didn't care about the dent you could take the light off, clean it up and use some touch up paint. If it were my car I would get it fixed, by a body shop. Rust is like cancer, it will only spread over time.

Yes Toyota dealer can do all the same service/work on your car, at a lower hourly rate, some people on this forum use them for service.
Old 02-07-22, 02:30 AM
ViperTim
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Rust is horrible but treatable.
I’m all in for learning by trial and error but there’s no point in writing here how to fix it, you’re better off reading multiple articles on how to remove rust and repair it.
There are many steps to it and of course you can fix it yourself.
Read articles, remove the rear light and get to work.
Old 02-07-22, 05:41 AM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Received 110 Likes on 67 Posts

That's a bad spot for a dent and crease - from my experience you aren't fixing that yourself without prior experience. You'd save yourself a ton of time and money by simply finding another white trunk (or maybe the lower panel if it's a separate part?)

The quotes aren't cheap because to do it "properly" requires the paint to be blended to the bumper, quarter panel, trunk lid, and spoiler. White is a real ***** to match properly - if you're planning on keeping the car for a while I'd go with the shop that specified that they will be blending the paint.
Old 02-07-22, 09:15 AM
ChickenNug
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by peasodos
That's surface rust, from were the paint chipped off. If you didn't care about the dent you could take the light off, clean it up and use some touch up paint. If it were my car I would get it fixed, by a body shop. Rust is like cancer, it will only spread over time.

Yes Toyota dealer can do all the same service/work on your car, at a lower hourly rate, some people on this forum use them for service.
Thanks a lot. I will see what I can do here. I am also going to quote with another shop my friend uses frequently.
Old 02-07-22, 09:19 AM
ChickenNug
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ViperTim
Rust is horrible but treatable.
I’m all in for learning by trial and error but there’s no point in writing here how to fix it, you’re better off reading multiple articles on how to remove rust and repair it.
There are many steps to it and of course you can fix it yourself.
Read articles, remove the rear light and get to work.
Yup... Thank you so much!
Old 02-07-22, 09:21 AM
ChickenNug
Driver

Originally Posted by IcyBishop
That's a bad spot for a dent and crease - from my experience you aren't fixing that yourself without prior experience. You'd save yourself a ton of time and money by simply finding another white trunk (or maybe the lower panel if it's a separate part?)

The quotes aren't cheap because to do it "properly" requires the paint to be blended to the bumper, quarter panel, trunk lid, and spoiler. White is a real ***** to match properly - if you're planning on keeping the car for a while I'd go with the shop that specified that they will be blending the paint.
I also checked the price for a new lid which turns out to be quite attractive... Definitely keeping that in mind if things don't work out :P Thanks!
Old 02-07-22, 09:21 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Yeah just have a pro do it. $550 isn't bad at all for a dent and paint blending on a car like this.
Old 02-07-22, 09:41 AM
ChickenNug
Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Yeah just have a pro do it. $550 isn't bad at all for a dent and paint blending on a car like this.
Yup, I figured the same after getting some more quotes. Thanks!
Old 02-07-22, 09:49 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

If it were mine, I'd find a paintess dent repair place to see how much they can pop out. Then, I would touch up the cracked paint area and leave it alone. Or you can take it back to get it professionally sprayed after the dent is removed.
Old 02-07-22, 05:15 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I also checked the price for a new lid which turns out to be quite attractive... Definitely keeping that in mind if things don't work out :P Thanks!

Is that the Pearl White paint? If so the Pearl White is a nightmare matching. You could do some things mentioned here professionally an/or just a patch up that would be un-noticeable to others. Pearl White never matches up ever. White is just bad, just a little better though.

If were me I would also be looking use parts yards for a same around year, same color F Sport Trunk off a wrecked car that was in good condition. Just a matter of being in the right place at the right time to luck up on one. Within driving radius means no shipping cost. I'm sure some parts places think it's worth is 24k Gold, but other will negotiate if you can. That would be my 1st option if were me. Painted Emblems Spoiler and everything. Plug and play!!
Old 02-07-22, 05:19 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 190 Posts

PDR as much as possible (you want the absolute minimum amount of body filler on it), then respray. As for rust - the actual killer rust is in the cavities. This by itself? Not really. Still looks bad and should be fixed properly.
Old 02-07-22, 08:40 PM
ChickenNug
Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
Is that the Pearl White paint? If so the Pearl White is a nightmare matching. You could do some things mentioned here professionally an/or just a patch up that would be un-noticeable to others. Pearl White never matches up ever. White is just bad, just a little better though.

If were me I would also be looking use parts yards for a same around year, same color F Sport Trunk off a wrecked car that was in good condition. Just a matter of being in the right place at the right time to luck up on one. Within driving radius means no shipping cost. I'm sure some parts places think it's worth is 24k Gold, but other will negotiate if you can. That would be my 1st option if were me. Painted Emblems Spoiler and everything. Plug and play!!
Hey thanks! As of right now the damage is still very minimal IMO. The picture somehow makes it look like a huge dent although it's barely even noticeable just from a couple of feet. I will see what I can do with the shops.
Old 02-07-22, 08:41 PM
ChickenNug
Driver

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
PDR as much as possible (you want the absolute minimum amount of body filler on it), then respray. As for rust - the actual killer rust is in the cavities. This by itself? Not really. Still looks bad and should be fixed properly.
Thank you so much!
Old 02-08-22, 12:25 AM
ViperTim
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Yup... Thank you so much!
Here is a picture of my latest rust repair.
People who say that you have to take it to a body shop are those who cannot even change their own wheels.
But be warned. It take a lot of time, patience and since it’s your first time you may need to redo it as you learn along the way.
Nobody remembers a coward.