GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

rusty rotors make squealing sound every day

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-22, 05:11 AM
nwin
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rusty rotors make squealing sound every day

I've got a 2017 AWD GS350 with 45k miles on it. I bought it about 6 months ago as a certified Lexus from the dealership.

The issue I've noticed is that if I don't drive it every day, the rotors instantly rust over. Even when I drive the car to work in the morning, when I go to leave in the afternoon I'll hear the breaks squeak against the rotor while I break after backing up. The squeak goes away after the first time applying the breaks, so it's definitely just surface rust.

Is this common? Seems extremely annoying. I'm in northern Virginia, so it's not like I'm right next to the ocean where salt would be a factor.
Old 02-08-22, 08:58 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

It's extremely common with these cars. It's likely an issue with the pad and shim, the squeal is going away after the pads/rotors heat up.

The shims probably just need to be regreased or you need new shims.
The following users liked this post:
nwin (02-08-22)
Old 04-08-22, 06:31 PM
nwin
Rookie

Ok so they still squeal at start up which bugs the crap out of me, but why do they stop for a while and then start squealing later?

I took a 6 hour drive last week. After driving for a few hours on the freeway, when I hit the brakes, the screeched pretty bad. Same thing happened a few times on the way back.

i bought it CPO with 40k miles, now it’s at 48k.
Old 04-08-22, 07:53 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

You bought under CPO. Take it to the dealer.
jgscott (04-08-22)
Old 04-11-22, 04:30 AM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

looks like another brake squeal noise lol , search for f sport squeal noise tsb it should be in few page lol
Old 04-11-22, 05:07 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

TBH. Any vehicle that sits outside overnight and gets condensation on the rotors is going to have slight surface rust on the braking surfaces and then make noise upon reversing for the first time because you are slowly backing up and applying the pad to a somewhat uneven surface creating the noise/resonance/etc. That's why the first time you pull off and brake, you clean off the surface rust by applying the pad and the noise is gone when you brake again. I can assure you everything is fine if that's your only concern. If you are in any situation where you are able to park indoors, this won't happen because there is no rusting overnight, assuming your garage is enclosed and dry of course. I wouldn't give this a second thought bud.
The following 2 users liked this post by Asav:
MX73 (04-11-22), NJLEXES (04-11-22)
Old 04-11-22, 12:10 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Common on any car that have surface rust on the rotor. I wouldn't bother taking it in to the dealership since the brake pads will sweep the area. They'll probably say the same thing. If you are concern, have the dealership take a look but they'll probably charge you a diagnostic fee and new pads\resurface rotors (if going that route).
Old 04-11-22, 02:25 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

The Rotors get rust on my cars and others, and they don't make any noise at any time. I would not assume in every case the noise is rust. Brakes and pads also move and heat up.
Old 04-11-22, 08:35 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by MX73
Common on any car that have surface rust on the rotor. I wouldn't bother taking it in to the dealership since the brake pads will sweep the area. They'll probably say the same thing. If you are concern, have the dealership take a look but they'll probably charge you a diagnostic fee and new pads\resurface rotors (if going that route).
He bought the car upder CPO. There should be no charge. The dealer may say they cannot replicate the problem. They should keep it overnight.
Old 04-12-22, 08:29 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
He bought the car upder CPO. There should be no charge. The dealer may say they cannot replicate the problem. They should keep it overnight.
This.

Is what should be done.
Old 04-14-22, 08:18 AM
nwin
Rookie

Originally Posted by MX73
…I’ve been driving for 26 years. I’ve probably owned or driven about 10 cars. This is the first one to exhibit this noise after being parked and especially while driving.

im bringing it to the dealer.
JeffKeryk (04-14-22)
Old 05-12-22, 01:28 PM
nwin
Rookie

Originally Posted by greys0uled
It's extremely common with these cars. It's likely an issue with the pad and shim, the squeal is going away after the pads/rotors heat up.

The shims probably just need to be regreased or you need new shims.

So I brought it in for it's 50k service and asked them to check it out. Big surprise, they couldn't replicate it and said pads and rotors had plenty of life left on them.

He did mention a "TSIB"? about it but said it's not covered under CPO warranty. Instead, they wanted to charge me $295 to install some shims. He mentioned in the report 'there are updated front brake shims available to minimize brake squeaks'. To his credit, he even said he wouldn't bother with them since the brakes are fine.

Their action plan also recommended changing the front/rear diff fluids, a brake fluid exchange, a fuel/air induction system service, and an ultrasonic HVAC cleaning, and sunroof drain/rack cleaning. I didnt do any of those because just lol at the prices they wanted.
Old 05-13-22, 12:52 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Lube the back of the pads, shims and coat the hardware yourself with CRC Silaramic. I had the start-up squeal (different sound than surface rust on the rotors) and when I pulled the pads (dealer installed in 2020 for CPO sale) there was a generous shim setup (two of them) but zero lube. It immediately resolved the issue. Its 20 minutes per side and easy. I can't guarantee it will work on all cases but its the cheapest, quickest thing to try first.
Old 05-14-22, 03:33 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 301 Likes on 187 Posts

I have 17k on a 2020.
I am livid and bringing a class action suit vs. lexus, Toyota Japan LTD, Toyota USA, Toyota or Canada, and Lexus Financial.
WHy Canada? I might not get any money but I’ll get an apology. Toyota Japan will send me an airline carry case. My brakes do this ever day. Not really, just seems like it. Sometimes. but for what I spend I deserve to not have even the 1.2 seconds of squeek! My fellow employees look at me with disrespect. They don’t see my mods. The cool emblam puddle jumper lights and my carbon accents that grace my car.
The “Stealership”? After following the service manager home to ask him if he could help me, after I asked him how nice his children are, now has a restraining order on me. I can’t go to the “Stealership” now. I have to go to one 60 miles away! I have to take vacation days. Naturally I have to go, Then stay at a hotel, then come back to the dealership via uber and then they can hear the blood curtling sceach. And after 5 nights of doing this my wife, who owns a pathetic ES herself, but it has LED fog lights and I spend a month as a birthday suprise wrapping the “wood” trim with bright yellow carbon fiber look (she seemed less than thrilled) was very pissed at me as we had to cancel our vacation to myrtle beach so I could pursue my justice.. On Friday morning, justice was served! The breaks did make the noise! They all looked at each other. And said “thats it”? Then they laughed and went back to work. Now im out $800 dollars and another 100 for Uber rides! Yeah, Im pissed!
They did not even wash the car for me even though I told them not to!
Why do I have to lubricate anything? Why do I have to suffer this daily humiliation? I deserve so much more? I saved money for 10 years working for my dad before I got married. My wife and I live with them now that I lost my job. I put nearly $5000 down on that car and still have 50 months of payments left! This is a lexus, I arrived. I got a yeti when I bought the car! They were so nice to me after I bought the tire warranty, the interior protection package, the exterior package, prepayed 10 years of Service and Sirius xm radio. The upgrade with Howard stern! I dont’ skimp, im a lexus owner!
I lowered the car, then raised it. I have 22 inch rims, I have the turbo installed but don’t tell the dealer! No sure why I get ticketed for not having a front plate, I think they are envious I drove a lexus! Do you guys get that too? Crazy right?
My wife has riveria red with the black leather and the aformentioned yellow “Mod”. We also put in 5 subs in the trunk and a kraco EQ booster for added performance. I cut out the rear deck to fit Jenson Triaxle speakers. Its very bright sounding.
I wash the car and love looking back on it on my daily trips to Walmart. I park in the back so nobody will park near me. Then when I walk back I can “check out my car, and all can see me get in it. Then I take the long way home and take picktures of it by the water, parking garage, cool industrial sites, like a night urban crawler!!!!!!! I have the “ML” stereo! You know, “More Lexus” it stands for! LOL! Its great. I have the bass turned up and the treble. Its nice and clean!!!!! The Weird Al Yankovich cranks!
Im paining my calipers tomorrow and I’ll take pictures and let you know if that makes the noise go away.
Im also thinking of putting a 2nd gen grill on my 2020 Fsport? Anyone do this? Peseados? I bet he has. That would be so cool. Anyone know how much it would cost?

Last edited by Nalod; 05-14-22 at 03:41 PM.
JeffKeryk (05-14-22)
Old 05-15-22, 08:18 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 301 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Nalod
I have 17k on a 2020.
I am livid and bringing a class action suit vs. lexus, Toyota Japan LTD, Toyota USA, Toyota or Canada, and Lexus Financial.
WHy Canada? I might not get any money but I’ll get an apology. Toyota Japan will send me an airline carry case. My brakes do this ever day. Not really, just seems like it. Sometimes. but for what I spend I deserve to not have even the 1.2 seconds of squeek! My fellow employees look at me with disrespect. They don’t see my mods. The cool emblam puddle jumper lights and my carbon accents that grace my car.
The “Stealership”? After following the service manager home to ask him if he could help me, after I asked him how nice his children are, now has a restraining order on me. I can’t go to the “Stealership” now. I have to go to one 60 miles away! I have to take vacation days. Naturally I have to go, Then stay at a hotel, then come back to the dealership via uber and then they can hear the blood curtling sceach. And after 5 nights of doing this my wife, who owns a pathetic ES herself, but it has LED fog lights and I spend a month as a birthday suprise wrapping the “wood” trim with bright yellow carbon fiber look (she seemed less than thrilled) was very pissed at me as we had to cancel our vacation to myrtle beach so I could pursue my justice.. On Friday morning, justice was served! The breaks did make the noise! They all looked at each other. And said “thats it”? Then they laughed and went back to work. Now im out $800 dollars and another 100 for Uber rides! Yeah, Im pissed!
They did not even wash the car for me even though I told them not to!
Why do I have to lubricate anything? Why do I have to suffer this daily humiliation? I deserve so much more? I saved money for 10 years working for my dad before I got married. My wife and I live with them now that I lost my job. I put nearly $5000 down on that car and still have 50 months of payments left! This is a lexus, I arrived. I got a yeti when I bought the car! They were so nice to me after I bought the tire warranty, the interior protection package, the exterior package, prepayed 10 years of Service and Sirius xm radio. The upgrade with Howard stern! I dont’ skimp, im a lexus owner!
I lowered the car, then raised it. I have 22 inch rims, I have the turbo installed but don’t tell the dealer! No sure why I get ticketed for not having a front plate, I think they are envious I drove a lexus! Do you guys get that too? Crazy right?
My wife has riveria red with the black leather and the aformentioned yellow “Mod”. We also put in 5 subs in the trunk and a kraco EQ booster for added performance. I cut out the rear deck to fit Jenson Triaxle speakers. Its very bright sounding.
I wash the car and love looking back on it on my daily trips to Walmart. I park in the back so nobody will park near me. Then when I walk back I can “check out my car, and all can see me get in it. Then I take the long way home and take picktures of it by the water, parking garage, cool industrial sites, like a night urban crawler!!!!!!! I have the “ML” stereo! You know, “More Lexus” it stands for! LOL! Its great. I have the bass turned up and the treble. Its nice and clean!!!!! The Weird Al Yankovich cranks!
Im paining my calipers tomorrow and I’ll take pictures and let you know if that makes the noise go away.
Im also thinking of putting a 2nd gen grill on my 2020 Fsport? Anyone do this? Peseados? I bet he has. That would be so cool. Anyone know how much it would cost?

I painted my Calipers Gun metal gray. Gives it a real nice OEM look! Really stands out. I like to keep really low key. I know the legions of GS fanboys out are kind of envious. They point to them and I can see their smile. They dig the “I know its painted the same color as those not”. Im like “oh yeah!”…….
The squeek? its still there. Should I try another color? I read that the copper color works best. Kind of like the miracle knee brace I have that metalogically sucks the pain out of my joints.
Maybe Peasedos can chime in and enlighten us to the truth?

Quick Reply: rusty rotors make squealing sound every day